Can a single man be friends with a married woman?

Can men be friends with a married woman?

• Yes

Votes: 107 79.3%
  • Only if he's gay or he finds her unattractive

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • maybe/not sure

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • what are friends?

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
Not letting your wife go out drinking with male friends,
or not letting her live without wearing a Burqa,
are differences only in style, not substance.

{Anticipating the inevitable misunderstanding....}

In other words two sides of the same coin.... both girlies are being equally repressed by neanderthal male attitudes.

Why not? Them being married keeps things simple

In your case, that's fine if everyone is okay with it. I would not be. And I can assure you none of my brothers or their wives would be okay with it either. Nothing to do with what any nosey neighbors would say, not their business so they can stuff it. It's just not appropriate behavior. You know...not appropriate. Like running down the street naked but covered in jello is inappropriate. There are some things you do and some things you just do not do because they are most obviously inappropriate.
Obviously? Not that obvious to me, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. But I guess it's a gutfeeling kind of thing.

It really sounds like a very odd rule to me.

I have female friends drifting off because they got attached, I can't imagine a guy asking the wife to do so, just asking for trouble.

In your case, that's fine if everyone is okay with it. I would not be. And I can assure you none of my brothers or their wives would be okay with it either. Nothing to do with what any nosey neighbors would say, not their business so they can stuff it. It's just not appropriate behavior. You know...not appropriate. Like running down the street naked but covered in jello is inappropriate. There are some things you do and some things you just do not do because they are most obviously inappropriate.
But why? you seem to be repeating that it's not appropriate, but giving no reasons why. So you say it's not that you don't trust your wife enought to go out with others, nor is it that you're worried what the neighbours say. What then? Is it one of the 'god says so' issues?

I can see no reason why I shouldn't go out with married female friends, nor do I have a problem with my wife going out with male friends. I trust her and she trusts me, it's a cool thing :)

Now I made an assumption when reading the OP that may be incorrect. I assumed he meant just he and her alone doing things. If that is not the case, I am terribly sorry. Nothing wrong with him like going to their house to visit with the couple, or all of them going out in a group activity, etc.

important piece of information that would have belonged in the OP

I was about to say that the guy's either insecure or a jerk, but now I somehow understand him. That is assuming the part of you screwing here was during their relationship/marriage.

I should note when I had sex with her, she was divorced from her husband and had no intention of going back to him (he's a control freak that doesn't like her having friends outside the marriage). And we only had sex as friends, and ended up going back to being friends. He came in and convinced her that he changed his controlling ways, and convinced her to go back to him. And now he wants me out of the picture.

The answer for anyone who's made even a foray into adulthood is an unequivocable yes. (unless of course you live in one of the super f'd up countries that treats women like crap)

Gotta agree with Shane here (like I usually do). You can absolutely be friends with a married woman. It's only awkward if you go out of your way to make it awkward.

So if guy going barhopping with a married woman friend is okay, where is line drawn? Weekend getaway in Aruba? Skiing in the Rockies?

It's inappropriate why? Because it is? I fairly frequently do things with one of my married friends, occasionally when her hubby aint around (but this is only while he's at work or otherwise occupied because he's awesome). We aren't going to put our social life on hold just because we lack a chaperon. Responsible adults, this isn't Saudi Arabia, and all that.

So if guy going barhopping with a married woman friend is okay, where is line drawn? Weekend getaway in Aruba? Skiing in the Rockies?
Thing is, I can't imagine wanting to go on vacation like that with just one person not of romantic interest. I would want the entire social group to come with me. When I'm going out with such people it's not romantic candlelight dinners, It's dinner at a bar or watching a TV show or something. If we were doing something that I would never do with a male friend then yeah, that would be weird.

To answer your question: the line absolutely is "would I do this activity with a male friend?"

Girl, ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

What's the :rolleyes: for?

You can't be friends with somebody.

Try to stop me. :)

It's just not appropriate behavior. You know...not appropriate. Like running down the street naked but covered in jello is inappropriate.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I got here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause where I'm from, I tell you people do that all the time.

Adultery. The kind where you have sex. If you don't want your wife doing things with other people, make sure she doesn't want to do things with other people before you marry her.

How is bar hopping inappropriate?

How do you guys do your bar hopping down there, naked or something? :lol:

Lucy said:
If you don't want your wife doing things with other people, make sure she doesn't want to do things with other people before you marry her.
Well...yeah :)

I think barhopping with someone's wife or husband, if the other person is single, can be weird/inappropriate depending on the context, but not necessarily. (I am talking about strictly mono y mono, like just the two of them alone.) If the two people had a strong platonic pre-existing friendship where they did that, or if they were intending to meet other people later or other people failed to show up or something, I could see it as being non-questionable.

Other than those circumstances and perhaps others I am not thinking of, however, I think it is questionable for two people to go out bar hopping solely with one another if one is married and the other isn't. That is just not something a man and a woman do without some sexual interest going on, conscious or subconscious.

That is just not something a man and a woman do without some sexual interest going on, conscious or subconscious.

And ? so ?

Erm..... Could your concern be allayed if the woman (or man) was forced to wear a chastity belt ?

If the married man is mature, he'll trust his wife. If the single man is respectful, romance will be far from his mind.

Both of these are wrong. Getting too close to a woman has a high chance of one of you falling for the other. While the husband will be jealous the entire time.

Top Bottom