Can an overseas AI plot war on me without Astro?

Wrathful

Warlord
I have been playing an Earth scenario and this question came up. I'm playing as one of the New World civilizations and an AI from the old world (Ramesses) got Optics and made contact. Eventually another Old World civ found me as well, and I was able to see that Ramesses was not plotting. Later on, however, he starts plotting. At this point, he does not have Astronomy. I'm not pleased with him and my power rating is much lower than his. He knows where I am (though his caravel died to barb galleys before it could explore much).

My question is: can this AI plot war on me even though he lacks Astronomy?

AIs can absolutely plot on targets they cannot reach without Astronomy before actually teching Astronomy, I've seen it multiple times. Look for a large buildup of Galleys, that's your clue that they're plotting on you.

Last edited:
Mark it down as more nonsensical AI behavior.

If they are pleased (Pending on Ai) or below they can certainly plot. Ai ability to do naval landings is another matter. I have seen Ai manage galley and galleon fleets.Of course it would be pretty easy to track it.

Chances are they will never have an actual fleet. With caravels you can enter their ports anyway.

Chances are they will never have an actual fleet. With caravels you can enter their ports anyway.
Only with open borders, without they will have to hang out in the waters outside - which of course still is good enough to see units.

Top Bottom