can anyone recommend me some good books to read?

cman2010

King
I have run out of ideas for good books to read and most of the ones listed as top sellers on amazon dont look interesting to me, I like unque storys, and mysteries, Im not to into sc fi or fantsy although the sword of truth series is great and well written. I appreciate any help.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
Power and Plenty - Findlay and O'Rourke
Romance of the Three Kingdoms - Lo Kuan-Chung

When in doubt, just go into the classics section of the local library, I'm sure you'll find something ;)

Gilliat by Victory Hugo
Ninety-three by Victor Hugo

Two of his least known translated works, two of his best, particularly ninety-three which is IMO his magnum opus.

Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of Oz, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The ****oo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno

wow thanks for the quick responses, keep them comming. I should also note I allready like to study history so Im already into those books. I will also check out the classics section as suggested, Thanks again.

Aztec, by Gary Jennings. It's the book I recommend to everyone because it's fantastic. You will cheer, and you will get so sick and creeped out you'll want to puke.

I just finished a great murder-mystery set in Ancient Athens, The Pericles Commission.

These are great suggestions, I think im going to start with animal farm, and brave new world I loved 1984.

The Hitler biographies by Ian Kershaw, On Liberty by John Stuart Mill , Hitler's empire by Mark Mazower, Lenin A biography and Stalin a biography by Robert Service, Collapse by Yard Diamond.

Amity (Jeremy Brooks), The Tao of Wu (The RZA), Hells Angels (Hunter Thompson), Ruled Brittania (Harry Turtledove).

Amity is a tech thriller about lunatics on hacker forums and their attempt to ruin this guy's life for abusing his mod privliges and how he tries to fight them and deal with them. It's real good.

Tao of Wu is the RZA's... teachings about life.

Hells Angels is Thompson's story of his time as a reporter embedded with the titular biker gang and all of their various hellraising and his troubles getting along with them.

Ruled Brittania is the only book Turtledove ever wrote that lived up to his title of Master of Alternate history. The Spanish Armada lands, and the Spanish conquer England, it is told from the perspective of William Shakespear as he writes subversive iambic pentameter and fights the Catholic power.

Pericles the Athenian and Young Caesar by Rex Warner.

The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove.

I was just having the same problem. In particular, can anyone recommend anything that is a mostly humorous, fairly easy read? Real life stress has made it difficult for me to read anything too heavy lately.

I was just having the same problem. In particular, can anyone recommend anything that is a mostly humorous, fairly easy read? Real life stress has made it difficult for me to read anything too heavy lately.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain

I rather liked this one.

For Christmas i got a book called "Two Gentlemen of Lebowski," and the idea is basically that they translated the Big Lebowski into somewhat more era appropriate Shakespearean version. It was an extremely fun, light read, albeit not particularly original.

I rather liked this one.

I've read it, but it's been about 8 years so I might pick it up again. I did enjoy it.

For Christmas i got a book called "Two Gentlemen of Lebowski," and the idea is basically that they translated the Big Lebowski into somewhat more era appropriate Shakespearean version. It was an extremely fun, light read, albeit not particularly original.

That sounds interesting, though like you said not terribly original. I'll look into it if only because that is one of my favorite movies.

I mean, I broke it up by slogging through Griftopia, Tabbi's extremely dense book about the financial crisis, so I didn't mind. Anything to help lighten the mood while reading that was welcome.

And it was fun. I went around all Christmas asking my siblings "But what, prithee, of the toe!" before realizing it had been a shot in the dark for them.

Something by Kurt Vonnegut? Cat's Cradle, perhaps. For lightness, it would have to be P.G. Wodehouse or his science fiction equivalent Douglas Adams: Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is great, chapters are moronically short: a perfect bed-time book.

Top Bottom