Can/Aus/NZ et al: time to become a republic?

Abolish the monarchy (UK not included)?

• Total voters

sysyphus

So they tell me
Every time there is a major event involving the royals the conversation in Canada always turns to the discussion of whether or not we should abandon the monarchy.

So I figured why not discuss hear to also include our brethren in the southern hemisphere (and if anyone here also happens to be from Jamaica or Papua New Guinea etc).

I myself am a soft republican.

Including a poll here. Please only vote if you are from one of the relevant countries.

I'm indifferent to it, but I voted softly pro-republic. I don't like monarchies or the concept of royalty. Keeping the core of the Commonwealth would be pretty cool, though, even if the monarchy was abandoned.

Australia and NZ could become some sort of a federation due to their closeness (both geographically and politically), quite like they're now (But without the Queen on the top, duh) but I don't see how Canada would be lumped in.

About Canada, they'll be probably on their own.

I don't particularly want a republic. Certainly not along the lines of the US.

(No offence. But, please, you have one election and immediately start on the next. That's just constant campaigning).

I'm just a simple anti-monarchist.

Let's stay as we. Except: do away with the Queen. And have a head of state elected by lottery. Or by throwing darts at a dart board.

Or introduce a hand-shaking/hand-waving machine for all those important events.

As long as we can all still club around in the commonwealth without it being awkward, I'm sure it'd be fine

(I'd rather it didn't end up that way, naturally, but I can totally understand why others would. It must be weird having a head of state so distant and, well, foreign)

C'mon guys this is getting silly. Changing all this type of thing just gets very complicated and costly. Keep the status quo and forget about it.

I'm pro-monarchist as long as the person on my $20 is Queen Elizabeth II. Not fond of Charles. I'm ambivalent about William.

#USA Accessory countries

You all are constitutionally irrelevant anyhow - why not pull a north korea instead?

The Glorious Peoples Republic of Canada.

And Quebec could even split off and establish the National French Baguetter Maple Syrup syndicate. New Zealand could become an autocratic sheepherding state constantly looking to invade new countries to expand their sheep shearing.

Do something original yall

Should I ever become a Canadian, Australian or NZ citizen, I probably would be somewhat a monarchist. It feels like a connection to my ancestral European homeland.

That said, if they were to become republics, I wouldn't mind it.

I support the monarchy about as much as a state religion.

Didn't Canadians gain their independence long ago? And so did Australia and New Zealand sorta?

Masada and I have routinely called for Australia to break away from the UK. Not as a republic, but as a separate monarchy. King Harry of Australia is our dream. Make it happen, people.

Didn't Canadians gain their independence long ago? And so did Australia and New Zealand sorta?
We're independent from the UK, but technically the Queen is our head of state. I'm unsure of the situation in Canada, but here we have a Governor-General as the representative of the Queen (as VR put it in another thread recently, the GG is basically a modern-day viceroy) whereas our parliament is elected. New Zealand has a similar-but-different system, which Masada would know more about than me.

Join us true nations and throw off your monarchist shackles!

Yes, down with the monarchy!
Although the UK has to keep the Queen. It just wouldn't be the UK without tea, funny accents, and the Queen.
Without any of those elements it would be like America, but worse.

Top Bottom