1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Cities still rebel?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Revolutionist_8, May 15, 2019.

1. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Chieftain

My dear friends!

I was extremely delighted when it was changed that Cities can secede much earlier (and not just mid-late game, after Ideologies), even more so when it was introduced that they can turn into City-States after a while.

Since I haven't played VP in months, and I've just 'returned home' (it truly feels like it lol) I 'vent been able to test out the new local Happiness mechanics (which I think is awesome!!!).

Please allow me to ask a couple of questions before I jump into this awesomeness:
    • can Cities still rebel and secede from your empire?
    • if so, what are the requirements for it? (a certain amount of Unhappiness threshold, or Unhappy for too long? other?)
    • do Rebels still spawn and you have to deal with them?
    • is Ideology happiness-pressure still a thing?
    • what are the requirements for a seceded City to turn into a City-State? (if it still exists)
    Thank you very much!

Arthur Jama likes this.
  2. Bhawb

Bhawb Chieftain

I'll take a first stab but I might be wrong so there are implied asterisks behind some of these.

1. I'm pretty sure they can, but I haven't seen it recently.
    2. Unhappiness thresholds for new system are 30% and 60%, I believe sub 60% is when there is a chance for units to spawn and sub 30% is city flipping, alongside other detrimental effects
    3. See above, I'm pretty sure it still happens
    4. Definitely yes
    5. Cities you founded will become City-States, cities that were originally someone else's will return to them

Revolutionist_8 likes this.
  3. andersw

andersw Chieftain

Below 40% you can get riots not sure if its enough for cities to rebell or just barb spawn.
    If you hover over happiness you see the warning level compared to what you have.

4. Revolutionist_8

I see, that's wonderful! Thank you so much guys for the answers! I'm very grateful! :)

5. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors Chieftain

Below 60% approval: global penalties to growth and military unit production

Below 40% approval: worse penalties, and rebels can spawn

Below 20% approval: even worse penalties, rebels can spawn, cities can secede

- City secession: ideology pressure does still exist to my knowledge. If there is no civilization with ideological pressure over you, the city will become a City-State instead. I believe you need to be at 20% approval or less for at least 10 consecutive turns for a city to secede.

Not gonna lie, I really enjoy the occasions where rebels spawn and then go into some other civ's borders cause they saw some weak unit, or even attack a civ I'm at war with. :lol:

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    chicorbeef, vyyt, Bhawb and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bhawb

Bhawb Chieftain

I swear the only times I see rebels are when I'm winning a war and they start spawning better rebel units than the guy I'm in the middle of destroying.

chicorbeef, Omen of Peace and vyyt like this.
  7. Revolutionist_8

So approval affects all Cities, but what about let's say my approval rating is sufficiently high enough (60+%), but some of my Cities are Unhappy. I've noticed already that they get the Growth and Military production penalties, but can they get the Rebels and the possible secede? Does Local Unhappiness work similiarly like the global, i.e. the more local Unhappiness you have, the worse the penalties? Or those are tied only to the global approval rating?

Thanks in advance! :)

8. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

You can't get Rebels, that's tied to Global Approval.

But the penalties do worsen the more unhappy the city gets. I think it's capped (-60%, -75%? Not sure what the cap is), but a city that's unhappy by 1 will suffer a milder growth/unit production penalty than a city that's unhappy by 5.

9. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

inb4 Gazebo makes Rebellion tied to City Approval.

Rekk likes this.
  10. Revolutionist_8

Thank you! I thought that's the case, just wanted to be absolutely sure, thanks again! :)
    That would be awesome! :D *fingers crossed*

11. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

it already is

12. Revolutionist_8

Sweeeeeet :hug: