Can city bombards crit? Extra crit?

Jacozilla

Warlord
In just about every game when I can successfully rush aff-4 CNDRs while AI still has aff-2 units, it's a steam roll.

It was again in my current game but really surprising was the number of times - well twice to be sure, but even that surprised me - that a lowly str 22 city bombard and one-shot kill my CNDR

How can that possibly happen? Normally, when AI is at aff-2 and his cities are still not reinforced, exact str of a city that nuked me was 22. Normally my aff-4 CNDR would absorb many, many hits from a city before dying

But in two separate assaults, the lowly str 22 city nuked my CNDR - bam, one shot, one kill.

Is there a low, but possible chance, that a city bombard can crit and either magnify huge the damage it does or the crib is a guarantee kill?

To be clear, I have had many games where this is not the norm. The norm is my aff4 CNDR steam rolls over mobs of aff-2 units and city bombards.

They're not on water tiles, right?

Nope, I was assaulting a city sitting on plains, with one side protected by a mountain so I had to send my CNDRs (thinking piece of cake) in single file through a one tile choke point.

That tile is 2 distance away from the city and each time my CNDR ended turn there, the city bombarded and wham, insta-kill

Again, city strength was only 22, and normally I just shrug off hits like that. Thought it was marsh penalty but not only is it not marsh but it's a hill, plains-hill. I should have had hill defense but I got whacked like a mob hit.

Maybe those 2 CNDRs were defective from the factory

Did you have combat animations on? Are you sure there wasn't a ranger in the city, or aircraft in a nearby city?

BE is still new so I have all animations on even though game takes longer, so yes I could see all action going on. I moved my unit two tiles into the single lane choke pass, sitting on a hill.

However, while I saw what looked like a bombard come from the city, now that you mention it, I don't recall if it was maybe a unit inside the city?

That would make a lot more sense, but what kind of unit can an AI with supremacy aff level 2 have that one hits an aff-4 CNDR?

In my F4 screen when I attacked the AI, he had supremacy 2, and only units I could see were marines and gunners, against my marines, gunners, and squad of CNDRs.

Going to have to just watch this and see if maybe the AI leveled up just before the round I attacked.

Post a save file. This might be a bug.

I know explorers are bugged. Ever bombard an embarked explorer with a city? I only ran into this once, but my 60+ str city did 13 damage to it. I shot it 3x in the water. Once it went on shore, it died in one hit. So maybe there are other bugs with city bombardment.

Top Bottom