1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

can Communist governments still choose Free Market policy card?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ron Wee, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ron Wee

Ron Wee Chieftain

that's lame

2. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

collectivization somehow gives food to trade routes instead of killing millions
    communism's legacy is somehow increased production instead of lower national IQ average, high crime and poverty

3. gettingfat

gettingfat Chieftain

Well... China is a real life example.... Even the CCP is no longer true communist and their market system is more a hybrid of free market and state-controlled business.

Olleus, Eagle Pursuit and KumaChan like this.
  4. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

Democratic civs can still pick up Police State, or various slavery related policies, like Triangular Trade. Which for some reason give them lower war weariness and more gold and faith, respectively... Theres also the fact that other civs than Sparta can implement the essential Spartan training/indoctrination regimes (i.e. the Agoge).

The card system is pretty bananas if you overthink it.

I think the issue is that adding negative traits to real life bad policies would make those policy cards completely pointless.

Manifold and Uberfrog like this.
  5. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chieftain

Mao Zedong's land redistribution projects did improve crop yield. Later when he tried real collectivization productivity actually declined much to his disappointments.
    You could argue that McCarthyism or any Cold War-era communist hunt in democratic countries are real examples of democratic countries using Police State.

The card system has few flaws and many benefits. What's really lacking here is how citizens in my empire would react to my decisions. It could go hand-in-hand with some kind of Congress system which shows how your citizens are willing to cooperate with it. If a Card has its downsides Congress might try to repeal the Card or something. I can only imagine the frustration of young men in my empire when I run Conscription in times of war forcing them to go die on the battlefield.

Olleus likes this.
  6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

No, it gives food so that we can kill millions of fascists and take their stuff.

Yes, it proved you doubters and astrologers wrong again.
    Maybe aim for a science victory in your next game.

stinkubus and Siptah like this.
  7. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

If you have wander down every civic branch for ideologies before winning the game you're probably not playing it right anyway (applies to me too)

8. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

Why do you think you have to pay gold whenever you change policies in between discovering new civics?

You're basically bribing your citizens to just go along with whatever you want.

9. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Speaking of Communism, it seems like the best government again . Darned Firaxis!

Although does Democracy's project yields apply to space?

10. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Urrr... Again? Both in C5 and C6 Democracy is more useful I think...

11. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Was thinking about no distance maintenance in 4 and I remember 2 had like no corruption but don't remember it clearly.

Dunno about 5 but it seemed like ais kept picking order making it hard to go anything else, and production seems important in 6.

So the extra diplo card and cheaper patronage better?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  12. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Order was best for science victory in 5 because of the +25% from factories, which made bulbing stronger. It was easy to build all the other parts while hard teching nanotechnology and it had a policy to use a GE to rush the last part.
    In 4 it was best for domination because +10% hammers without having to found and spread Mining Inc. By the time Mining Inc catches up in hammer output you have so much of the world already it doesn't matter.
    In 2 you needed it when at war or the senate would force peace whenever you were about to take a city, even liberating your own. This is ironic considering in real life democratic governments have insisted on totally destroying and establishing colonial governments in every country they have been at war with from WW1 onwards.

13. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

No, it's more administrative costs for getting the gears of government going at a time when a political change is less "spontaneous" or grassroots.

And Free Market is probably not the best policy to run under Communism. There's more synergy with production.

14. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Chieftain

I agree with OP. Some cards should not be available for all types of governments.

15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

You don't win the game by getting all the cards so going down civic routes you don't have to like Class Struggle when you have Free Market is already a bad idea. I'm theorising but there are some combinations of bonuses that you should not try if want to win quickly and avoid late game tedium.

16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Governments are currently like having an extra card slot or 2 with some currently annoying and pointless diplomatic affects. The enrichment in other areas of the game are great but they have taken the soul out of governments.

Zuizgond likes this.
  17. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

If it sounds unintuitive to put a card somewhere it probably is.

18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

Caste/guild/chemistry workshops with communism for state property let you build extremely high yield tiles with no grow time in civ 4. Whether this was actually the best government was debatable, but it was your best option sometimes.

Fascism is pretty nice in this game just for the strength bonus + military policy loading, but that's obviously for knocking heads.

19. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

I really do wish the governments at least had more flavor. Like at least putting what type of leader in front of there name they when communicating, or adding a prefix to there nationality in all of the screens. Right now theyre just lifeless knobs along with all of the policy cards.

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

While I know Civ isn't supposed to be an exact history simulator, the fact that you can run Triangular Trade all the way up to information era without any negative consequences really irks me.