Can gifting units cause tech discovery?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by The Tyrant, Mar 10, 2006.

1. The Tyrant

The Tyrant Prince

Okay, I've looked everywhere -- the game manual, the civilopedia, these forums, even google and couldn't find an answer to this question so I guess it is time to ask it here. In previous versions, if you gifted a unit that the recipient couldn't build yet due to tech requirements, there was a chance that the recipient could automatically discover a prerequisite tech. Does this still hold true in Civ IV?

In the game I'm playing right now the Germans are fighting the Incans and rather than get directly involved, I would love to gift Freddy a few cavalry. I don't want him to have the chance to discover the prereq's from the gift, though, as he is already uncomfortably close to me in tech. I'm wondering if this is something that was kept the same but just not mentioned, or if it was dropped from this version.

2. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I don't believe so. I haven't heard anything like that this time around.

3. swinenston

swinenston Chieftain

No, is the answer. I've done this in multiplayer when I 'sold' a few units to another human player (he wished to buy some to aid his war effort). He got the units, not the technology to build them. Hope that helps!

4. Lord Frosty

Lord Frosty Chieftain

I too have been an "arms dealer" in multiplayer. Great source of $$$$

5. The Tyrant

The Tyrant Prince

Thanks for the info, folks. It turns out I got drawn into that war anyway through a stuuuupid mistake on my part, but it is good to know this for future reference.