Can I mine this?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by sbrylski06, Jun 7, 2006.

1. sbrylski06

sbrylski06 Warlord

Will I be able to connect this resourse into my city network? It is my only source of copper. If I can't, I have a site for a new city picked out, but I would have to hurray as its away from my borders:

Also, I have only been playing Civ IV for two days, but early game copper and iron pretty much are the same, correct? What about later? Are the two interchangable or should I ensure that I have both?

2. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

You could mine it but won't be in trade network unfortunately. You would have to settle a city on it to get it. Also Iron/Copper are not interchangable only macemen can use either. Swords need Iron and Axeman either. However later in the game you will find Iron is needed for a great many things and copper too. For instance you can't build frigates without iron. Copper helps building cathedral if I recall correctly so get both if you can. If anything iron is more crucial then copper in the long run and have noticed it is more readily available.

EDIT: Hint: Make sure you work your mines (citizen working it) and eventually some mineral will pop up.

3. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Actually, since that copper island is not within your cultural borders, you can't build a mine there. However, once the cultural borders of that city to the northwest expand to include it, yes, you can build a mine there and yes, it will be in your trade network because it is connected to your mainland by coastal tiles. Coastal tiles count as a trade route, like roads or rivers, IIRC.

What will be funny is to see it again in about 1800 or so when you build a railroad to nowhere on that tile just to increase its production...

4. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

The problem is cultural borders act funny around islands I think. I saw a post about it a few days ago, but can't find it right now.

5. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

I think you have to build a road on the island for it to be connected... can anyone confirm?

6. Nares

Nares Emperor

EDIT: It should be connectable. Just wait for those borders to expand and build the mine. Worst case is that you need to build a road.

7. The Tyrant

The Tyrant Prince

But since that tile is within two tiles of another city, that won't be possible.

8. frogger3d

frogger3d Chieftain

That would be useless because no city is using it aside from being a resource.

I'm not sure even that will work. I once had a resource on an island which I did use in the city with road and all, but it would not pop up as a resource... I have no savegame to prove it though..

sbrylski06, did you get the resource after it came in your cultural borders?

9. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

i'm pretty sure that it's NOT connectable. a river or city is required to connect roads to the coast.

10. Dagoril

Dagoril Chieftain

My coal popped up on an island like that in a One City Challenge game I was playing. I never did manage to build any railroads on the mainland. The island was inside my cultural borders, I even put a road on it (which became a railroad on that island only), but i couldn't build rail on the mainland.

11. cabert

cabert Big mouth

silly message removed

12. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

It doesn't work if you try it out. You have to have a city on the same island with a connection to the resource. You'd have ot found a city on the copper itself to access it. Incidentally, although you have another city only two tiles away, you can do this, since it's on a different island. The minimum city spacing only applies to cities on the same landmass.

13. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

I once had a game with a inlet and at the end of the land mass a small mtn range cutting off the rest of my civ, leaving two tiles, one with sugar. So I thought well cultural borders and a road will make that become part of my resources. NOT Didn't happen.... I had to settle on it.

Same with an island (single tile resource)how would a road connect it to the trade network anyways, it is not connected to anything. Can be frustrating if that's the only source of iron/copper you can get to. Settle on it but the city will be useless for a long time until US or if you do some whipping although good for science with water tiles.