1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can MPPs hurt your rep?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jason Fox, May 21, 2002.

1. Jason Fox

Jason Fox Warlord

After a long war with the Persians that cost me a fortune to get out of, I'm afraid of them and the neighboring Aztecs until I get my feet back under me. I manage to convince Japan to sign an MPP. Two turns later England declares war on Japan so I'm forced to as well.

Now I'm in no position to start sending units anywhere and I'm not going to be any help to Japan. Does this get noted by the AI somehow? Does it hurt your reputation to agree to an MPP and then not do anything when war breaks out?

2. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Chieftain

MPP's SUCK.

3. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

In my experience your rep is already shot when you declare war 'unprovoked'. programming mistake, honoring treaties should never lead to this, but, well....

I *think* it gets worse if you are the first to take offensive action, that is if you now, having declared war, actually attack units, bombard or pillage outside your own cultural borders.

4. Jason Fox

Jason Fox Warlord

I agree with that. They are a last resort for me but sometimes an ally is necessary. I always hope it will buy me 20 turns of peace to rebuild but rarely does.

5. MrBiggBoy

MrBiggBoy High Admiral

yes, especially on higher levels, with them warmongers civs. MPP with a powerful but non agressive civ. then no one will attack but they won't attack you.

:D

6. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

mpps have a use to have the whole world in a war against each other....

7. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

Pehaps Civ III would be better without MPP's. War already is screwed up with Military Alliances..........

8. Random Passerby

Random Passerby Bystander

Mostly I don't see the problems with MPPs that others seem to have. The AI is perfeclty capable of keeping the world in constant, universal war for centuries on end without using MPPs.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

After entering into an MPP:

Wait twenty turns before you cancel it of course. Then make sure you cancel it BEFORE making peace with your former common-enemy.

As for declaring war:

Declare war during diplomacy - always. Even if you don't have a ROP the AI still considers it a sneak attack (though it doesn't carry as harsh a penalty as if you did have an ROP).

10. MrBiggBoy

MrBiggBoy High Admiral

declare war during diplomacy? explain, i am very stupide 2day!!

:):D

11. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

Open up diplomacy and either declare war in the first screen that pops up ("That's it, prepare for WAR!"), or go to the negotiating table, select "Active" at the bottom, and renegotiate peace terms. For the second, either demand something you know they'll never give you if you want war, or demand something reasonable if you just want tribute. Caution, once you decide to renegotiate peace, you can't turn back, and sometimes you may have to PAY just to get that treaty back.

12. Random Passerby

Random Passerby Bystander

Also, peace treaties count for the 20-turn rule, so if you make peace and then redeclare war the next turn, your reputation's gonna plummet.

13. MrBiggBoy

MrBiggBoy High Admiral

ahhhhhhhhhhhh... thank you kilroy. NOW i understand.:D

14. Trinity

Trinity Brains, Beauty & st b*tch

This poses an interesting question.... I have 3 MPPs, one of them with a militaristic state (Aztecs), another with the Greeks, another with India. The likelyhood of India going to war with anyone is remote, but the Greeks went to war with Persia when I had an MPP with them earlier. They settled and I went on to rout Persia. Now what happens if the Aztecs and the Greeks go to war with eachother?

The three of us are pretty strong so if there is a war it's mutual assured destruction. :eek:

I figure I'll side with the one who was attacked. If Greece attacks Azteca, Montezuma and I will carve up Greece. If Azteca attacks Greece, then we're in for a long one. :(

The wild card is India. Gandhi has a MPP with me as well. If I'm obligated to go to war by the MPP, will Gandhi view it as an attack on me as well? :confused:

This could get sticky.

15. Myartar

Myartar Yeah, I'm back

When you have MPP w/ two countries and they go to war w/ eachother, you side w/ whoever was attacked, like you said. As for the third party, India, they'll join you in the war if the aggressor attacks any or your units or interests.

16. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

So it can be very risky to have 2 MPPs. I did this in one game and I was lucky because my most important allies were attacked by the English who I also had an mpp with. It was very fortunate that it was the English who broke the treaty first, because they had a small empire whereas the Chinese would have taken a long time to kill.

17. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Two MPPs and they go to war will ruin your rep forever. After all, when you hve to declare war on one of the to honor the treaty with the other, you betray to one you do declare war on - duh!

18. Trinity

Trinity Brains, Beauty & st b*tch

Well I checked my foreign advisor and the four of us have MPPs with eachother, so this is looking like NATO. It means that if one tries to break the MPP they bring the wrath of three powers down on them. It also looks like a major step toward a diplomatic victory.

19. Traquenard-fx

Traquenard-fx Freedom for my poeple

I have always done what you said but are you able to retablish good relations with the enemy after a war? Seem impossible for me since I only take two or three cities ( giving back to him ) and give things but still furious or annoying. Make me hate the game only for that reason sometimes.

20. Pygzilla

Pygzilla loser of lost games

I use MPP to get military alliances against strong nations. If I want to fight a more powerful nation I can't get a military alliance against them. But A MPP can be gotten for free or fairly cheeply.
    You just have to wait an extra turn for the other nation(S) to declare war.