Can only clear forests once after patch?

princeofamber

Chieftain
I've noticed that the patch changes include "Shield bonus from clearing forest can only be received once per game." Does that mean that I can't plant forests and clear them to get additional shields after I've done it once? I could have sworn I was still getting those bonus shields....

Originally posted by princeofamber
Now that I think of it....how can I tell if I have already cleared forests on a particular tile?

Clear it and see if you get the bonus?

<ba-dum-dum> I'll be here all week!

I think this is one of the lamest things in the patch. If they thought it was being exploited they could have reduced the shields per clearing, perhaps. Or increased the time it takes to clear forest. But the "solution" they used sucks.

Originally posted by princeofamber
Now that I think of it....how can I tell if I have already cleared forests on a particular tile?

Game keeps a record of how a tile started, how could it otherwise give strategic resources like coal on converted jungle tiles (if I remember coal as the resource correctly). So the same mechanism could remember a forest tile easily.

Originally posted by Shaitan
That's exactly what it means. Any tile will only give the 10 shield bonus for clearing forest a single time.

:crazyeyes

Why??? What possible logic is behind this? The United States has been harvesting second growth forests for decades.

You should have a new forest in about 75 years.Why can't it be harvested?

Logic, logic. Where are you?

Why? Because a new TLA (Three Letter Acronym) was born with the advent of the forest-clearing shield bonus: "IFE" (Infinite Forest Exploitation).

We dislike TLA's so we stamped out the exploit.

Dan

How about an ETLA(Extended Three Letter Acronym).
WHYD(What Have You Done!):mad:

Yeah I agree this is just confuseing for the player to have to keep up with every frigging tile on the land mass in order to track the bonus and where you can and cant get it from.Its an exercise in frustration.Worry about fixing bugs in the game before you waste time altering things that already work please.

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Why? Because a new TLA (Three Letter Acronym) was born with the advent of the forest-clearing shield bonus: "IFE" (Infinite Forest Exploitation).

We dislike TLA's so we stamped out the exploit.

Dan

Yes, as ajohn505 said above, WTF???

Or are you just trying to be a wiseguy?

If a game lasts 6,000 years you should be able to regrow a forest on a given tile around a hundred times.

Here's a TLA for YOU: MNS. Makes No Sense. There are a lot of them in Civ III.

Top Bottom