"Can See Research" - where?

Blkbird

King
I've gained enough Espionage Points to see the Research of an opponent. But I can't find where it is shown?!

Should be next to their name on the scoreboard.

You mean on the scoreboard itself or on the details board when you hover over the civ with the mouse? Because I can't see anything about research on neither.

Its like they are a Vassal, you see it in the scoreboard.

If you expend to many EP's against that civ you could lose that ability.

From what I understand, it isn't a matter of having a certain number of Espionage points -- you have to have that many points MORE than the other guy has on you in order to qualify. So if you need 125 EP's to see technology research, and you have invested 125 in him, and the other guy has 5 EP's invested in you, you still need to get 5 more EP's until you can see what he's researching.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I understand, it isn't a matter of having a certain number of Espionage points -- you have to have that many points MORE than the other guy has on you in order to qualify. So if you need 125 EP's to see technology research, and you have invested 125 in him, and the other guy has 5 EP's invested in you, you still need to get 5 more EP's until you can see what he's researching.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's most certainly wrong, because "Can See Demographics" doesn't work like that - you only need x points, not x points more.

Have you continued to play? It could be Charlemagne just finished researching a tech.

In your screen, you should be able to see Hammurabi's research. Like GeoModder says, play another turn - if a civ finished researching on the previous turn, its research target isn't visible.

That's most certainly wrong, because "Can See Demographics" doesn't work like that - you only need x points, not x points more.

Okay -- that's fine. I must have misunderstood the rule.

The points needed increase during the game, though. I'm pretty sure the increase is a function of relative accumulated espionage points.

There are numerous factors to that - distance between your capitals will also affect it, for example.

Have you continued to play? It could be Charlemagne just finished researching a tech.

Yes, and indeed I was able to see Babylon's research in the following turn:

However, I'm strongly convinced that Babylon hasn't "just finished a tech" - I don't even think there is a tech with such an effect. I believe it's just that you have to wait one turn after you've got enough Espionage Points. Or maybe is this a bug?

They could have just finished researching their previous tech, why not?

On a sidenote, does anyone know what the Espionage signs on the scoreboard means (see screenshot above)? I *am* spending Espionage Points on all my opponents - even equally weighted. Then why are there only Espionage signs besides some of the opponents?

They could have just finished researching their previous tech, why not?

Ah! I see what you mean, you mean they happened to be researching nothing at that turn. Yes, that could be what's happened.

Nonetheless, in that case it would be better if the scoreboard still shows something, like "(No Research)".

EDIT: Your theory has been confirmed, I re-loaded the savegame two turns back, increased the Espionage weight on them, and saw in the next turn that they were indeed finishing a tech.

Top Bottom