1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Can ships do anything other than transport units and attack other ships?

Discussion in 'CivRev - Strategy & Tips' started by obscurereferenc, Sep 5, 2008.

1. obscurereferenc

obscurereferenc Chieftain

Can ships do anything other than transport units and attack other ships? And is there any point in building them (apart from exploration) if my enemies are all reachable by land?

thanks!

2. OpticalDelusion

OpticalDelusion Chieftain

Yes! (Other than Galleys) They offer a bonus if they are next to the spot the combat is happening in. A fleet of battleships will easily make the difference in an otherwise close fight.

3. obscurereferenc

obscurereferenc Chieftain

Really? Didn't realise that, thanks!

4. Reapyr

Reapyr Chieftain

Yea...it can be huge difference in a fight, a fleet of battleships I think add around +25 to attack. They are really good for defending naval support too. I held off my deity AI with a archer army and naval fleet in a town for a quite awhile.

5. KingDerfliw

KingDerfliw Chieftain

Also ships are great for guarding(or blocking!) important sea resources. This can be very important during war...

6. CharlieM

CharlieM Creative, Spiritual

In other words, put your ship on a space that the enemy is working and ... walla..... no more work there, buddy!

7. ctmarco3

ctmarco3 Chieftain

This may be obvious to everyone, but just to be sure...You can use your ships to search for new lands to settle on, as well as search for hidden treasure, among other things like the city of Atlantis which opens 3 new technologies. (requires galleon to travel in the deep blue sea)

8. CharlieM

CharlieM Creative, Spiritual

And again, obvious, but ... they are great for getting a look at the map, seeing who is where and what they have, then deciding who you should pummel next!

9. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

can subs move into friendly territory? will test later.

10. ctmarco3

ctmarco3 Chieftain

any word on this?

11. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

apparently, the answer is no, subs cannot move into friendly territory.

(i'm in the process of revengining the units. i saw that sub and caravan and spy had the same bit set, so surmised that this was for moving into friendly territory. although later i did find where the bit for this trait is. however, the sub is missing this bit.)

12. dk1421

dk1421 Chieftain

I have a question.... okay, more than one. First, can you make an army of Cruisers? If so, will you get more boost as a result of it being an army when attacking a city (with the Cruisers nearby) or just the same as if it's just 3 ships?

13. Palaistea

Palaistea Chieftain

You can definitely make a fleet of cruisers (or galleys, galleons, battleships, subs). One of my favorite things to do, in fact. I'm not sure about if the naval support gets an added boost, though. I think it's just tripled. Will have to check on that my next game.

14. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Yes the Naval Support Does get the boost

Fleet of Veteran Battleships = +27 naval support

Fleet of English Veteran Battleships= +58 naval support (keep those Warriors :) )

15. ctmarco3

ctmarco3 Chieftain

thanks for your replies guys, but this doesn't tell us if there is more of a bonus when they are a fleet vs when they are just 3 ships separated...any ideas on that?

16. Apolex

Apolex Chieftain

Not sure about the fleet vs. single ships... I'm interested to see if anyone has tested this yet too.

Here's another question I have. Whenever the enemy civs have ships near my cities, they always seem to move around every turn to several different tiles. When I look at my cities after that, it looks like the sea squares are not worked for any of the tiles where they moved. Is this right, or did I see it wrong? Does simply moving through sea tiles that are worked make them give up being worked for a turn, or is that only true for the last tile that the ship ends up in?

17. Hertsh

Hertsh Darwinist

Only the tile where they are located at the end of their turn is excluded from the tiles you can work from your city, not the tiles they pass through.

18. Hertsh

Hertsh Darwinist

Here I´m actually not 100% sure, but I do think you can only get naval support from one unit/fleet. This is what I believe I have noticed when playing, but I might still be wrong though.

19. GopherWT

GopherWT Chieftain

you are correct, naval support is from the single best unit availble only, and armies count as one unit.