Can siege weapons hit naval units?

z.e.k.i

Chieftain
Hi everybody,
I want to learn that it is possible to hit naval units by catapult, cannon and artillery by changing the XML data?
Thanks for reply.

Hello, z.e.k.i

File: CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Not without changing the <Domain> tag to DOMAIN_SEA. But that would make these units boats. They would not work on land anymore.

If what you are after is an early game collateral-damage ship, you could for instance upgrade the (almost) useless Ironclad to one by changing the tags <iCollateralDamage>, <iCollateralDamageLimit> and <iCollateralDamageMaxUnits> to something other than zero.

There is nothing stopping you from making any ship into a collateral-damage unit. Depends on what you consider fun. By all means, make the Trireme a collateral-damage monster if that is what you want. Probably not fun in the long run, but for a game or two it could be.

As far as I can remember, the only ships that can do collateral damage are Battleships and Missile Cruisers. But those are both late game.

Just clarifying ... In Civ3, one can use a land-based cannon or artillery to bombard a ship just off the coast. In Civ 5 and Civ 6, land-based range units can hit boats just off the coast. Is it true that Civ 4 cannons or artillery cannot be aimed at boats?

I understand that early ships might not do collateral damage to each other. I'm just surprised that siege units on land can't aim at anything not on land.

In Cv IV unmodded, siege units are not ranged units. So no

Using the XML tags for air strikes (iAirRange, iAirCombat, iAirCombatLimit) on non-air units results in a "range strike" ability – which works pretty much like an air strike. There's only bare-bones AI code for range strikes though.

Top Bottom