Can someone check this map for my scenario?

Mongoloid Cow

Great Khan
I've been slowly working on a scenario for the past few months, and I've finally got a map with cities placed and civs chosen. But I was hoping that some people out there can check this map and tell me what I can do to improve it, ie; move this, add this, remove this, rename this, etc. It's a Mongols scenario set in the 12th Century. If your interested, can you download and check it.

Asia looks ok, but all of europe is really messed up, why is Paris directly north of Rome and London only a few tiles further?

Originally posted by Plexus
Asia looks ok, but all of europe is really messed up, why is Paris directly north of Rome and London only a few tiles further?

Paris is not directly north of Paris it is in its right place.

1. The turks have american cities why?

2. You have alot of mountanis it might be hard to get around, oh but oh wait, oh the Keshik, oh no wait this is not ptw.

3. Make it for ptw not civ3

4. please release the map on its own its pretty good.

5. Not really more to say, this time:evil: :evil: he:evil:he :evil:he :evil:

Originally posted by Yoda Power
Paris is not directly north of Paris it is in its right place.

Isn't Paris always in the same place as Paris? And no, Paris isn't in the right place, neither is Marsielles or London or any other part of Western Europe. No offence meant, MC.

Plexus,
Take a look at the minimap. The Mongoloid Cow used a different projection than the common Miller's projection. I can't think of the name of the projection he used, but I am sure MC could tell you.

Very interesting map, MC, I like how you didn't restrict yourself to the Miller Projection, I am so sick of seeing earth maps that use Miller's. I haven't had time to give it a thorough look, but will do so in a few hours.

Ok, it's just the nonexistance of the Western Mediterranian that kinda bugged me.

There are different cities for the different culture groups. The Chinese have Asian cities, the Europeans have European cities, the Muslims have Mid East cities, the Mongols and Turks have American cities, and the rest have Mediteranean cities. I hope to change their appearance later.

I want to have only a few units cross mountains and jungles. In real life, mountains were very restricting. It forces tech discovery to get the units which can cross mountains. It also increases the importance of mountain passes.

I don't know the name of the projection used.

Also, does anyone know of a good King of Hungary after 1211AD? (If no one does, it's going to be King Bob the Unknown :) )

Nope!

I used the map because it has everything that is important for the Mongols / Khwarzmians. I like this projection because, well... I don't have a reason. Just prefer it. Western Europe wasn't important for the Mongols, simply because there was absolutely nothing there except a bunch of backwards people (no offense meant, but in the middle ages it is true) The Middle East, China and northern India was far more lucrative for them so they consentrated their efforts there instead. The map reflects that.

Anyway, does anyone spot anything wrong with the cities at least? Do you see any cities that should be added, moved, renamed or removed? That's what I really need help on.

I dont understand it, why not use asian city style for asian cities and mid east style for central asian cities.

It's for the culture groups. Civs with the same culture group tend to be nicer to civs in the same group. Anyway, I want to change the appearance of the cities when I release the scenario, so it won't matter too much of what they are now.

BTW, I'll probably release a version of the map without the cities and stuff in the next week or so.

I think you're right on giving the Mongols and Turks their own cultural group for your scenario. The Altaic people had a distinct culture from the east Asians, a culture more akin to the other horse cultures of central Asia (as I'm sure you know).

Perhaps you could rename the culture in the PTW editor: Altaic, Central Asian, or Steppe (owing to their cultural proximity to other, non-Altaic pastoralists of that region).

If the American city graphics are egregious, simply cut and paste those from another culture into the PCX for the American/Central Asian cities.

I too like the projection. The geography seems fine enough.

The political boundaries confuse me a bit. I understand things like combining the Russian principalities, the alliance of the Georgians and Armenians to the Byzantines, and compacting the Ayyubids and Abbasids - all for game purposes. But the apportionments of Italy, Germania, and the Levantine crusader kingdoms are odd to me. I'm assuming that the map represents the dawn of the 13th century, or not long before that. So why is northern Italy not part of the German Empire and the south of Italy the Kingdom of Sicily (Normans?). Also, if possible, you might separate some of the Turkic polities (Seljuks of Anatolia, Bulgars and Cumans of Volga-Don, etc.)

I can't speak with much knowledge regarding the east Asian cities, but the European and Near Eastern cities seem off as far as population. I don't know what size town you're representing with the various numbers, but I'll give an example: Kiev and Venice are both size 6 cities, yet Kiev would have been smaller (less than 15,000 population) compared to Venice (somewhere in order of 25-50,000 people in this era). In the triangle between Ghent/Bruges (which are not on your map), Venice, and Novgorod, there would have been no towns of significant population (above 15,000). Likewise between Constantinople and Venice.

The corridor between Milan and Venice was heavily populated (Brescia, Verona, Padua), and the absence of Pisa and Florence omits some populous and influential cities that contributed to the heavy population of northern Italy.

Between Baghdad and Basra was Wasit. Near Cairo and Alexandria was Mahalla. Jerusalem was nowhere near the size of Antioch. Qus, up the Nile from Cairo, is missing (about where you've named Luxor).

There's just a bunch of cities on the western side of your map that shouldn't be near as big as some others.

You've not placed resources or barbarians, so all I'll say on that subject is to suggest many barbarians in Siberia and in the heart of Arabia - representing Tungus, et al, and Bedouin, respectively.

Lastly, it looks like there's wrap around, so the Japanese and Europeans are short boat ride away.

Originally posted by Mongoloid Cow
It's for the culture groups. Civs with the same culture group tend to be nicer to civs in the same group. Anyway, I want to change the appearance of the cities when I release the scenario, so it won't matter too much of what they are now.

BTW, I'll probably release a version of the map without the cities and stuff in the next week or so.

Ok so long you are going to change their appearance im happy. Also i agree with Redking´s last post and i think you should make Constantinople bigger just a little and Nicae much smaller, just chehked that area.

Thanks for the input. That's what I've been wanting all along ;)

I'm going to change the resources so I haven't put any in yet. And I'll include the Barbarians (forgot about them :crazyeye: )

I'll have a look at the city populations, but I had to keep in mind that most European cities struggled to get over 20,000 people, but most Chinese cities were well over 100,000 people (Hangzhou had 3,000,000 and Kaifeng had 2,500,000!!!) That would make for a very lopsided map. Also the Middle East and Central Asia had some big cities (Baghdad 2,000,000; Samarqand 1,250,000) Europe would be wiped out entirely! But I'll change a lot of the populations you mentioned, that includes Nicaea.

As for the separation of Italy from Germany: The northern Italians were rich and had huge overseas empires whereas Germany was a lot poorer and had no overseas empire. Italy was based around trade and the navy. Germany was based around the army. The German ruler I chose was Barbarossa who was frequently at war with Italy. It just made sense to me.

Also, the Japanese won't be able to build boats. I'm thinking of doing the same to the Europeans. Hopefully I'll get PTW coz I think theres something in it which makes the maps flat.

First yes you can set flat maps in ptw and second Samrkand did first became so big when it became capital of Timur Lenks empire.

I have a suggestion. Instead of having the Keshik ignore mountanis it should have all terrain as roads to show the fast advance the mongols had on the steppes.

I'm going to add a lot of units too. There'll also be a new tech tree; Early Medieval, Mid Medieval, Late Medieval and the goal - the Renaissance.

I'll make it so most (if not all) the Mongol horsemen have the treat all terrain as roads flag. I was originally going to give them all unbelievable movement, but that would work out better. Thanks Yoda Power! :)

Top Bottom