Can someone give me a list of all the Great Leader's names in this game.

GreatPersonLister

Chieftain
I'm trying to create a list of all the Great People across the CIV games but I've tripped over a snag. The Civilization Wiki doesn't have a list of the historical figures in Civ3 like Civ4 & Civ5. Can someone kindly inform me who they are and whether they are a military leader or a scientific leader?

Each Civs has one leader and usually several MGL and several SGL. Do those categories compare to Civ4 & Civ5?

Sorry for the delay in the response. I was asleep.

I don't recall any great leaders in Civ3, just leaders of the civs.

Here it is on the wiki. I can see why you might be confused
Each Civs has one leader and usually several MGL and several SGL. Do those categories compare to Civ4 & Civ5?

Yeah. It's basically the Great Person system (Real people on the field with special abilities) at its most basic form

Last edited:
I do not see MGL and SGL as great people. That concept was created in IV as far as I am concerned, but ok.

You can find the names of the military and the scientific great leaders of Civ 3 Conquest in the editor by opening the civilizations register. Here is a screenshot of some of the names of the military and scientific great leaders of Greece. Not all of those names can be shown in a screenshot by the Firaxis editor. Per example Greece has 9 names for scientific great leaders. Please understand, that I don´t write down here the names of hundreds of great leaders in C3C for 31 civilizations.

Leadernames.jpg

The great leaders in Civ 4 (especially the great artists) were developed from the enslavement system in C3C. Therefore in the C3C mod CCM 2.50 you also have great artists and per example Greek heroes, using the names of different antique heroes by linking those units to the military leader name function.

Last edited:
You can find the names of the military and the scientific great leaders of Civ 3 Conquest in the editor by opening the civilizations register. Here is a screenshot of some of the names of the military and scientific great leaders of Greece. Not all of those names can be shown in a screenshot by the Firaxis editor. Per example Greece has 9 names for scientific great leaders. Please understand, that I don´t write down here the names of hundreds of great leaders in C3C for 31 civilizations.

View attachment 624460

The great leaders in Civ 4 (especially the great artists) were developed from the enslavement system in C3C. Therefore in the C3C mod CCM 2.50 you also have great artists and per example Greek heroes, using the names of different antique heroes by linking those units to the military leader name function.

Thanks

I love these American spellings... That's like "Heidelburg" in the city list of Germany...
And, indeed, "Richtoffen"(?) in the MGL-list... ;)

But it's not 'American', it's just ignorant. Errmmm...

And, indeed, "Richtoffen"(?) in the MGL-list... ;)

But it's not 'American', it's just ignorant. Errmmm...

:yup: Yes, the German MGL names are playing in a special league of jokes:

German MGLs.jpg

Ofen = stove, oven => Richtstove, Richtoven

And the famous German heroes "Hengest" and "Horsa" are nearly completely unknown in Germany and I think I was not the only German Civ player who had to ask the Wikipedia about those mysterious English names for unknown German heroes. :D

Some Anglo-Saxon heroes from the King Arthur era?!
Psst... King Arthur is (most likely) fictional. If we're talking about Anglo-Saxons, King Alfred would be closer to the mark ;)

We were over in the UK last week, and one of our day-trips was a relatively gentle walk around "Hengistbury Head", a spit of land just east of Bournemouth which was the location of a fortified settlement* at some point during the pre-Roman era (i.e. most likely Celtic, not actually Saxon!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hengistbury_Head

*If you look at the satellite view on GoogleMaps, you can still see the double-embankment fortification just beside the visitor car-park:

https://www.google.de/maps/@50.7241999,-1.747742,13.71z

The settlement it was built to defend was up on the low hill to the east, south of the bay.

Thanks for this background information!
But at least I was right in one point: these two fellas were not German, but from what today is the British Isles...
Someone at Fireaxis definitely did not do his homework here...

Better choices for German heroes would probably be
  • Arminius (who united several German tribes for a joint action and defeated three Roman Legions in a three-day battle in 9 AD)
  • Friedrich der Große
  • Marschall Blücher (famous Marschall from the Napoleonic Liberation Wars, joint victor at Waterloo 1815, together with Wellington)
  • Paul von Hindenburg (General later Feldmarschall in WW I, victor at Tannenberg 1914, where he repelled the Russian invasion with inferior forces)
  • Erwin Rommel, Heinz Guderian (though it may be a bit debatable, whether Generals from WW II can be considered "politically correct"... Rommel at least was part of the Stauffenberg conspiration at the end of his life)

Any chance of getting a George II for Enland? A Frederic the Great for Germany, and say a Louis XV for France to suit the 18th century please? Can they be taken from other scenarios?

Well, you can easily change the leader names. But one SGL does not differ from the next, same for MGL.

I suspect that @doylestondave is actually looking for alternate leaderhead animations.

I think @Civinator's CCM might have an LH that would do for Louis XV, but for the rest, I can only suggest trawling through the Civ3 downloads database...

I think @Civinator's CCM might have an LH that would do for Louis XV, but for the rest, I can only suggest trawling through the Civ3 downloads database...
The leaderhead for France in CCM, that you are thinking of, is a combination of the Louis XIV fragments created by Sandris and a Napoleon leaderhead - not Louis XV.

On the other side CCM has a leaderhead of Frederik the Great, created by CivArmy. This leaderhead can be downloaded separately even today:

FriedrichdG.gif

Edit: The linked Sandris fragment leaderhead thread also contains some fragments of a George II. leaderhead.

Last edited:
I suspect that @doylestondave is actually looking for alternate leaderhead animations.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll start trawling. Thanks for the heads up. I did some research, and found an app that turns static heads to 3D. So, I got pics of George II, Old Fritz etc, and will try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom