Can someone help me use this mod?

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I've placed all the files in this foreign-language mod at their appropriate locations in my BTS but I see no effect ingame, which should be impossible. The only explanation I can think of is that Steam is overwriting them somehow, but I'm probably wrong...

When I try it I end up with strange text but I don't know if it is correct. BtW You can put all the text files in the mod, in fact you should not overwrite the BtS ones anyway.

You do set your Language to 1 in the Civ ini file?

When I try it I end up with strange text but I don't know if it is correct.

You know what Hebrew looks like, right?

BtW You can put all the text files in the mod, in fact you should not overwrite the BtS ones anyway.

I didn't know you could just make it a mod (but it doesn't work that way either).

You do set your Language to 1 in the Civ ini file?

No. Why would I? That's French.

Yes, I just created a new a new mod called "Hebrew" and put all the text files in there.

All the Hebrew translations are in the place of French in the text files. There is no Hebrew language supported in normal BtS so the translators need to use one of the existing ones. Hence you need to select French to get the translation.

However it does not look Hebrew to me as it is still using the standard font set from BtS. I could not see anything in thing in the compressed file that would provide Hebrew characters to BtS, I expected something in the Font folder.

Perhaps you need to install that TrueType font provided? I only just thought of that.

No, none of that worked. I'm seeing the occasional Aleph between French words, however. What does that mean?

EDIT: Can you look through the link I gave? I couldn't understand most of the discussion, but it might explain why this isn't working for me.

EDIT2: I decided to open up the files and see what was written in the French sections. New York is ×ØÅÉ ÅÉÐ which translates to ×ØÅÉ ÅÉÐ. That's gibberish, so maybe something is screwing up those codes so they don't map to Hebrew properly. But that raises the question of why there is proper French at all... I changed a city name to genuinely Hebrew codes and there was no effect.

Last edited:
City names on the map use a different source for their names to that used by the pedia.:rolleyes:

As far as I can tell the mod was never finished. The authour had tried all the suggestions and none of them worked.

:cry:

I knew this was too good to be true...

Part of the problem is that civ4 use codepages for character encoding. All the included translations relies on Windows-1252 while Hebrew use Windows-1255. I have been able to switch CodePage being used, but not in a reliable way. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Billboards (aka city signs) and signs use GameFont rather than the font. This can be countered with xml for billboards, but I remember something about signs being hardcoded to GameFonts. Also I remember something about display issues where the character ID on the codepage is different from the character ID for the same character in unicode. Most of Windows-1252 use the same IDs as unicode, but the other codepages will have issues. This bug is in the DLL though, meaning it is fixable if you are determent enough.

All the Hebrew translations are in the place of French in the text files. There is no Hebrew language supported in normal BtS so the translators need to use one of the existing ones. Hence you need to select French to get the translation.
This is not true and you can add more translations just fine. Vanilla is quite primitive when it comes to language support. It reads the xml file, first the TXT_KEY string, then it skips X tags where X is the number from the ini file and then it reads the string being used. By default it ignores the name of the language, meaning it is perfectly fine with renaming English to SomeOtherString. This means you can add languages to the end without issues. Making them show up ingame in the menu might require some work. I know I modded that part to show more, but I can't remember offhand what I did.

Some mods have modded the translation selector to use the tag name rather than order. This means what I wrote here doesn't apply to all mods.

I think a good starting point would probably be the Russian translation. Cyrillic characters are also unavailable in Windows-1252, so they seem to have solved the problem somehow.

Top Bottom