[NFP] Can someone help me with a general guide for Domination Victory?

Civ_MD

Chieftain
Screenshot (2).png

I have many hours into this game (+4000hr) and now I'm trying to write a comprehensive guide for my IRL Civ group.
Can someone take a look at a draft of a domination victory guide I wrote?

Much appreciated, experts!

I have been playing Civ a long time. I mean that. As in I started playing Civ when it was just Sid Meiers Civilization in the early 90s. Ive played it since in pretty much every iteration and have played a lot of Civ 6. I play (and win) on deity although I don't win every game I play and I'm not particularly quick at winning, that aspect / challenge just doesn't interest me. I can also win every victory on deity. Well almost every victory. I haven't maanged a domination victory on deity and I've tried, a lot. usually I plkay random leader because I think you should be able to win whichever leader you have. But to get a domination victory I've tried selecting a leader but I just can't get it to work. Something always goes wrong. No iron, poor start, early declaration of war, no city states (when Mattias), surrounded by city states when not Mattias, plagued by barbarians, I tried as naval civs (Victoria / Harald) on an archipelago map but there was a lot of land for an archipelago and the list of disatsers goes on.

My main thought is that I don't 'cheat' and when I say that I mean I don't use any number of so called exploits but I don't see why that so adversely affects me getting a domination victory as opposed to any of the others. But I am a slow methodical, risk averse player of the game. I wonder if that is my downfall.

So I will read your guide with interest. Hopefully it will be of some help. Better than the usual advice of rush tech A, spam unit B and then win by T150.

I always play domination victory. First it's depends of what civilization you would start. I played already with Zulus, Aztecs and Sparta. But the best to a general guide of domination victory should be the Aztecs. Because they have their Unique Unit (Eagle Warrios) since the beginning of the game and can engage at a early war, before the enemy have walls. First in the war you should to kill the enemy units and just when it's safe attack the city center. If you are playing early on in the game the city without walls will be a peace of cake to conquer with 3 or 4 Eagle Warriors. I also suggest to have 2 slingers to achieve the Eureka of Archeary of killing a unit with a slinger. But kill just one, the others go with the Eagle Warriors because the bonus of win a worker.
Go fast and furious before the enemy achieve the wall technology. Then you need to change totally of strategy, you need to have catapults... And some archers too.
4 Catapults is a good number to conquer a city, but be aware, they are very fragile. Don't forget to kill all units before advance with your precious catapults. Catapults have 2 very good promotions in the promotion tree. One who allowed you to move and attack in the same turn (what is a very annoying system) and other promotion to have +1 range, who take you out of the city center range of fire. If you have 3 catapults with both promotion you won the game.
In civilization 6 you need to be aware of loyolity of the cities, after you conquer a city some time you will just have it for 3 turns, in that case you need a impressive army to advance in other cities to mitigate the loyolity issue. If you don't move quickly you also need to be able to reconquer a free city who spawn 2 very advanced unities and may spawn more units if you don't re-conquer it quickly.
Chavalary is good to put a city on cerque. You don't need to have units in all hexagonos around the city to put in on cerque, but with 3 strategic posicionated horseman around the city center you can put in on cerque. The city on cerque don't regenerate hp every turn, that make your conquer more quicky.
Pay attention, some times is possible to conquer a city before you destroy it's walls. Don't forget to evolve your Eagle Warriors to your current era most advanced unit and attack the city center with them too. But don't need to rush, if you attack and rest wisely you can conquer cities without loosing any unit.
Important, give name to all your units, as playing Aztecs and Zulus I gave the units name of kings of these civilizations. When I played with Sparta I gave the random suggested names. Both is valid, but don't forget to the names.

About late war, The first airplane sucks and evolve to other who also sucks. You need to have a bomber, it take a great damage of a city center and also can carry the atomic bomb.Catapults also evolves and if you was careless with all your units since now you have a large army of a promoted units and it's already enouth to conquer all world, but in late game you can also use the giant death robot, very strong and quicky. Or the atomic bomb, what I never used before and I still don't know how it's works.

About the Navy, The early boats sucks but is cool to build it to get the promotions. Late in the game the Navy can conquer easily coastal cities and will be your only option if the enemy is a island. Frigates have range 3 and can attack the cities without being attacked, but it's kind of a weak, do how many you can of it, at least 15 frigates to be the lord of the seas, I know they can stuck in some coastal areas and just 3 or 4 can shoot safetely, and the others, if want to shoot, will be in range to of the city. But some time, some cities need a combined attack of Army and navy and you need to put your precious frigates in the city range. But if you have at least 15 frigates you can supply it's demand.

About Coorporations, that is very important and you should do it frequently. The way I do is, I build knew units just to be coorporated and I united an experiente unit with an unexperient unit and merge together. I don't know (and I never tested to discover) what happens if a united two trained units, but I just don't do that.

And the most important to win a domination victory in to have always a advanced technology, always build scientific districts. Money districts is also important because your huge army should demand your a bunch of money. Just to measure, an attomic bomb cost +16 gold per turn.

Last edited:
I too play deity domination almost exclusively. It is, imho, the easiest way to play once you get the hang (AI is abysmal at combat) of it. After you've conquered ~2 civs its almost impossible to lose. But I enjoy the perpetual combat slog and tending to my garden of 40+ cities. Thoughts your guide:

Upgrading vs. hard building units is 100% accurate. Delay archery until you've got at least 3 slingers. I would definitely add/emphasize the importance of the Mercenaries civic & Professional Army card. Of all the possible timing pushes, that one is pretty universal and important to plan for. As you get close to unlocking it you'll want to have gold/strategic stockpiled, your units close to home, and the techs unlocked. Ideally, have a different civic 1 turn from completion, slot the card when you unlock and empty the bank upgrading stuff, then take it off next turn.

The other universal timing pushes is walls. You'll actually see the walls being constructed in-game. If you do, it might be time to start bashing melee into it because if they go up. Your archers and warriors are screwed.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I rarely if ever build encampments early and thus almost never have the luxury of a GG. Only time I bother is if I can buy tiles and place a cheese encampment in range of a capital. Then take it down slowly solo with a catapult safely tucked in to farm XP. GGs are great, but if you're building encampments and holy sites early, you're foregoing campuses and that is going to hurt.

Chops are big. Tour de Magnus to get the most out of them is great. With the religion strategy section, I would definitely add that farming era score is a big part of what makes religion worth it. Loyalty and eras was a HUGE update to domination play. With a religion, if you convert cities as you're attacking but before conquering (and you're always conquering) you've got an infinite source of era score that guarantees constant golden ages.

Full disclosure I just skimmed the last section that's civ specific. Unless they get their UU early, my domination strategy doesn't change much.

So big things I'd add:

1. Learning combat. Basically if you any units die, (distant scouts aside) you messed up. You got greedy, moved up too quickly, or are in a war so far behind in tech you can't win. If its the first two, I recommend practicing on a slower game speed. Speed makes domination even easier because the AI is brain dead at combat & movement. Slower tech/buildings/eras, means more time to move troops, which humans do better, which is how you win. The AI will move troops up to attack, even when defending, and kindly invite you to slaughter them. Good example: you're chipping away at a city. A new enemy unit moves into view and hits somebody. The AI (to my knowledge) is supposed to mass at least 2-3 units before moving in. So if one pops out of the fog more will follow. You should pull squishies out of range of the city, kill the units, then move back in.

2. Always be war-ing. There is functionally no penalty to being at war for centuries. War weariness is very marginally impactful. As long as you keep a war going with an AI, it is focused on the war and falling behind in econ. You are farming XP, hopefully still doing OK at econ, and gaining pillage yields. The caveat to this is that making peace occasionally for a few turn break can be worth it. If you just took a city, their next one is a long walk, and you're about to unlock an impactful tech upgrade, milk them for a nice peace deal, lick your wounds, then re-position again. Grievances are maybe worth considering early. But after you're ~5th capital every one will hate you either way. If you at any point can ally somebody you don't plan on killing for a while, even if they're charging resources, do it. It'll confuse diplomacy for everybody else because they hate you but like your friend. And delay the inevitable 'everybody left alive hates you' coalition.

3. Loyalty & Ages: Imo this should be its own section. If it needs saying, Golden/Normal/Dark ages determine your city loyalty output. If you end up in a dark age, conquering somebody in a golden age will be nigh impossible. Conversely, if you're golden and a neighbor gets a dark age. They are your next target. Eventually you're snowballed and this doesn't matter. But early it is very important you don't stumble into a dark age if you want to keep war-ing. That said, its not the end of the world. If you're OK at sim city, you can start conquering in the industrial and still win. Just keep an eye on the science leader.

4. Promotions. Ranged eventually gets attack twice. Siege gets move&shoot and 3 range. Melee gets +1 movement and no movement penalties for rivers/water. Light cav gets 1 movement point pillage. Those, imo, are the most impactful. Even if your early wars aren't marginally successful, the more late game units you can get with those are important. Relatedly, when you unlock corps/armies to combine units, obviously don't smash two 4th promo ranged together. Take a zero promo and merge. If you really want to micro, the XP gain buffs you get from barracks/armory/academy are inherited when merging. So when you unlock armies, build/buy a cannon in a city with a stable/armory/academy to combine with your cannon corp. It now gets +25x3% XP gain.

Last thing. The logistics card is my favorite card in the game. +1 movement builders just means less IRL time spent micro-ing them. And it effects your units as you move forward conquering the majority of the time.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Read those and will definitely take it all on board. Especially the buuilding early and upgrading tactic. I am cautious and rarely lose a unit but I think this leads me to being too cautious. By the time I'm ready then so is the defender!

I think there's more 'luck' to getting a domination victory. Start is more inportant. If you don't have iron you're in trouble. Same for niter and then for aluminum.

Just one example I played in my last game. I was Shaka. Rolled over the Chinese quitee asily. But then the next Civ on my border were the Russians. They just happened to be the strongest civ in the game at that point. They were more advanced and stronger. Because of the geography nad the map there was no one else to attack. If it had been any of the other weaker civs I could have attacked them and doubled my empire again and then repeat. But it really seems to matter who you're neighbours are and where they happen to be in the ranking. That seems to matter in a domination victory in a way that it doesn't for any of the other victory conditions.

Top Bottom