Can someone please explain this to me?

I'd just finished praising the AI on not settling garbage cities. Well, great, but I seriously must know the reason behind this one, then. :lol:

http://snag.gy/5KN7l.jpg

Heh. Looks like he wanted coastline (and yes, that's a thing the AI wants at least once), and that was his best bet.

G

I'd totally have done that to the Shoshone in multiplayer, assuming I had gold to buy units.

Assuming a free production caravan or at least a Pioneer-level settler in CPP, this could be used to raise a quick army with easy access to Moson Khani while also being protected from a hammer-and-anvil attack from Agaidika.

Edit:

My point being that this isn't necessarily bad; it's only bad if the AI plans to play sim-city instead of go to war.

I'd totally have done that to the Shoshone in multiplayer, assuming I had gold to buy units.

Assuming a free production caravan or at least a Pioneer-level settler in CPP, this could be used to raise a quick army with easy access to Moson Khani while also being protected from a hammer-and-anvil attack from Agaidika.

Edit:

My point being that this isn't necessarily bad; it's only bad if the AI plans to play sim-city instead of go to war.

I've done this plenty of times, the ability to set up cannons aimed at his capital from inside your borders is insane. I don't think that was Gustavus plan, but whatever.

I've done this plenty of times, the ability to set up cannons aimed at his capital from inside your borders is insane. I don't think that was Gustavus plan, but whatever.

I agree. It's a smart and ballsy move by the AI. If anything it'll be a pain in the side of the Shoshone.

Can anyone confirm - I swear the AI knows in advance where a city should be so it will have access to more advanced resources. Like when you see them settle a city with nothing but an oasis, and then later it has 3 oil tiles. The reason I ask is because I believe the AI uses the same "recommended city spot" algorithm that suggests the player cities. Even at the start of the game, I'm almost positive that it tells you in advance where not to settle. When a spot looks "perfect" but it won't suggest it, it often turns out that the tile you wanted to settle on was a Coal or Aluminium or whatever. Anyone know this for sure?

Can anyone confirm - I swear the AI knows in advance where a city should be so it will have access to more advanced resources. Like when you see them settle a city with nothing but an oasis, and then later it has 3 oil tiles. The reason I ask is because I believe the AI uses the same "recommended city spot" algorithm that suggests the player cities. Even at the start of the game, I'm almost positive that it tells you in advance where not to settle. When a spot looks "perfect" but it won't suggest it, it often turns out that the tile you wanted to settle on was a Coal or Aluminium or whatever. Anyone know this for sure?

It kinda does. AI uses a fertility calculation to determine the viability of a site. The calculation does not take into account unrevealed resources (or at least it didn't used to) but it is somewhat predictive.

G

You can pretty much predict strategic resources as well to some degree.
Resource-density does vary a bit, but you can usually tell where something doesn't match.
Once you've decided that there is SOMETHING there, you can usually guess what it is from the terrain type.
To sum it up, if you settle a city in the middle of a resource-less desert, you can be pretty sure that some iron and some oil is going to pop up there.

Top Bottom