1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can somone explain the slingshot

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Drofd, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Drofd

Drofd Chieftain

I need help getting past noble

2. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

All you have to do to beat noble is rush for bronze working, pump out 2 workers, and chop every tree in sight.

The slingshot refers to getting 2 techs at once, by using the oracle, being the first to liberalism, or rushing for a tech that gets a great person (like economics) and using the great person to found another tech. It's very helpful, but isn't the only think you need to know to beat noble.

3. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Yep people usually talk about the slingshot to get Civil Service or such. However, I used it the other day to get 90% of Divine Right. (The Spiral Minaret is HUGE if used properly.)

Wodan

4. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

The most typical slingshot is the CS (Civil Service) slingshot. You discover priesthood, then bee-line to get Code of Law (which opens up CS). Once you build the Oracle, you'll have CS as one of the options for free tech.

In my experience, this straight CS slingshot is very difficult to implement at higher level. Unless you have gold or gem it takes forever to research Code of Law, and by that time the Oracle is built by somebody else already. And you'll be quite thin in military techs and resource techs. The more practical way is to use the same idea, but instead use the Oracle to discover Codes of Law (you need writing first, but you can do it quite early), build a temple and use the priest to collect religious GPP (or if you build Stonehench first in the same city), after 20+ turns you'll have the Great Prophet. If you haven't research masonry and have researched both meditation and polytheism, you will get CS (still need a few more turns of research) using the Great Prophet.

Beelining for Liberalism to get the desirable free tech is usually more realistic. The AIs seldom research education first. Make sure you are well defended or you'll be attacked by civs using more advanced units.

5. DagorFunk

DagorFunk Chieftain

I'm a big fan of the Liberalism slingshot to get Military tradition early. Generally by the time you reach liberalism you should be able to research gunpowder. Use the free tech on Nationalism and it shouldn't be too long until you can start pumping out cavalry while your opponents are only just getting knights and musketman. It provides a huge advantage for quite a while.

6. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

I've quite often used the Oracle slingshot (on monarch level) to get theology - you need to have monotheism and writing researched, but if you're going for early religions then you may well do that anyway. It means you're getting a hugely expensive tech free, which leaves you in a good bargaining position for swapping techs later on.

Interesting. My experience (again on monarch) tends to be the reverse. I can get Oracle-CofL/theology very easily but I invariably get beaten to liberalism (though I've had a couple of frustrating times of being beaten to it by just 1 or 2 turns). I guess I'm just not accustomed to a strategy that focuses on that branch of the tech tree early enough.

7. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

The name of the game is technology, so I often prioritize education, which means I can be the first to liberalism. If possible, I like to select astronomy as the free tech, as it's hugely expensive, and it's nice being able to have 50% more research with both universities and observatories.

8. jaythewise

jaythewise Chieftain

IMO spiral is the best wonder in the game

9. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I'd actually say there's quite a few better than spiral such as three gorges damn, and even Notre Dame on higher levels.

10. Potatish

Potatish Chieftain

Notre Dame is superb, as is the Three Gorges Dam, but the latter comes in quite late.

11. jaythewise

jaythewise Chieftain

It depends on how wide spread your religon is of course, I but ya Notre Dame is big, i still like the spiral though

12. Archbob

Hanging Gardens and Notre Dame are top priorities in my game.

13. emills

emills Warlord

I think liberalism is one of the most valuable techs. The civics that come with it are capable of taking you through the rest of the game. The free tech is also the most powerful for it can solve any number of problems:

Playing on an archipeligo or old world map? get astronomy
    need money? get coorporation and the free merchant.
    Are you Russian? get military tradition and cossacks (this one takes some set up, the others don't

14. Archbob

Liberalism is The most important tech in the game IMO, because of the civics enabled and because you get a free tech. There is no reason not to suicide it.

15. jaythewise

jaythewise Chieftain

A viable back door way to slingshot is to build stonehedge, get your prophet(s) research monarchy, priesthood etc etc, discover theology. Theology is huge if you have tech trading on, you can get alot of techs off it from some of the AIs...

16. Armorydave

Armorydave Prince

I ususally don't do the CS slingshot but almost always get Liberalism first in a competitive game. I then use the free tech to get Astronomy pretty much every time.

I love the Spiral Minaret but consider the Kremlin to be far more important. If I was told I could only have one world wonder in the game it would probably be the Kremlin. Spiral Minaret is in my top ten for sure, possibly even top five.

17. voek

voek Prince

Don't know if it realy counts as a slingshot, but in a recent game i found out when i bee-lined to alphabet (which is a viable strategy anyway) and trade for all early religion techs (which i will do most of the times try anyway, when trading away alphabet, try to get as much as you can for it)

and

building the stonehenge (also a very viable strat.),
    = getting a great prophet

= getting theology which gives you chritianity

And you have your own little religion at at least emperor , large (contintens,st.)

When i play emperor i find i won't get a religion (won't even try it) very soon. If i am lucky i can conquer one, but if not is also seems to me religion isn't spreading fast into my city's. So i won't have a religion for a long time which isn't nice when playing emperor with lots of angry faces...

So when you are a beeliner to alpha, need a relgion , built the stonehenge, you can get a religion. Just a thing i picked up.

18. Mordraken

Mordraken Chieftain

I'm surprised at the variety of tech choices that people make. I am obvioulsy missing something, or maybe my plans are too long term.

When I get the option to pick up a free technology (like through the oracle) I pick the most expensive one (in terms of beakers) because that is the one which would take longest to research.

For example, someone above picked Code of Laws (350 points) instead of researching Metal Casting (450 points). Wouldn't it be better to spend your research time on the 350 points and take the free 450 instead of spending an extra 3 turns researching Metal Casting instead of Code of Laws?

19. VirtualM

VirtualM Chieftain

Here's an explanation on CS Slingshot and PCS slingshot, which I wrote in another thread. (I know, I'm lazy :mischief: )

Before anyone asks: No, they're not really effective on emperor or higher!

20. Juardis

Juardis Chieftain

I do the same thing (usually), but that is secondary to what my longer term strategy is or my short term needs are.