1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can the AI vote "Never"?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Aemilius, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest from Overseas

I've played BtS for a while now, but I haven't seen the AI vote the "never" option in apostolic palace or UN votes. Is this a bug?

2. Ammar

Ammar King

I've seen it happen.

3. djvandrake

djvandrake Prince

Yes, they sure can. I've seen Qin Shi Haung of China vote "Never" three or four times in a row during one of my games.

4. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

Yes, they do. Once I tried to force Montsy to give up a war he voted "never" (of course, no joking).

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Yes, and I find they frequently do (particularly to civic changes).

6. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

Just had Justinian vote never on free religion last night.

7. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Monty, stuck on a single island in the middle of hell after being nearly wiped out of the game, usually votes "NEVER!" to nuclear non-proliferation, preventing the vote from passing :p

8. HerrDoktor

HerrDoktor Mad Scientist

This can be used as an exploit, because they don't seem to consider the massive unhappiness effect in defying resolutions. So, if you're insistent, you can cripple an opponent's economy just by passing such resolutions subsequently. You do it and still don't get diplomatic bruises for it, which is not very realistic. A human player seeing a resolution for him to give one of his cities being voted over and over would surely become very angry at the UN/AP chairman.

9. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest from Overseas

Okay, I was wrong. Didn't know I was this noob... :)

10. Ammar

Ammar King

The whole denying Resolution thing is broken IMO. If a vote would pass without someone voting "never" it should still be binding to those who did NOT vote never. Only exception should be the Nuclear Weapon thing of course.

11. Scotsh

Scotsh Chieftain

I agree, its broken, i once had Isabella as a vassal, she only had 3 1-tile-island-cities left. She vetoed every global civic i proposed. The result of that was that over time all her cities dropped to 1 pop. Its broken because adopting these global civics would have been by far less painful for her than the unhappiness penalties for not doing so.

Another example is displayed very well by this screenshot:

Monty is my vassal here, he is vetoing my proposal and there is nothing i can ever do about it because i cant punish him as my vassal for this. Of course this veto later crippled his "ok"-doing city.

I think a "defy" should only be a veto if a certain percentage of votes are defying (lets say 20%), if its below that all defying civs wouldnt have to adopt it but suffer from the penalty, whilst all other civs (voting yes or no) will have to adopt the resolution. Or vassals arent allowed to defy a resolution at all.