1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can vassals win a culture victory?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Metal Alloy Man, May 29, 2008.

1. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Can vassals win a culture victory even if they're under your control. Just made Asoka capitulate but he still has 3 cities with legendary culture so I'm kinda worried.

2. Willem

Willem Deity

Yes, they can. They can also win a space ship and victory as well. Just not conquest or domination. I'm not sure about diplomatic though I don't think so. Oh, if he has three cities with legendary culture he would already have won.

3. pangu

pangu Chieftain

Yes, they can, and they love to do that a lot!!!

I have had a few games which the AI offered to be my vassal, then promptly turned off its research and build culture, and there was almost nothing I could do about it. I remember 1 game which HC became my voluntary vassal and almost scored a cultural victory. I was aiming for a Space Victory. In the end, I send a big stack of spies to HC's 3rd cultural city and get it into revolt every single turn just to avoid it from becoming legendary. The city was in constant revolt for around 30 turns.

4. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Thanks, looks like I'm screwed. Time to reload a save game.

5. Willem

Willem Deity

I had one game where I was just turns away from having my space ship land at AC when I noticed that my vassal Darius would soon have his third legendary city. By the way he was cranking out his culture, I figured he would have won a cultural victory about two turns before I won the space race. So I first tried to force him to change civics in order to put him into anarchy, but I ended up having to bribe him with a tech and some gold instead. That gave me just enough time to land my space ship. It was the closest game I've ever had.

6. pangu

pangu Chieftain

The easiest (and cheapest) way is actually to send a team of spies to the 3rd city to get the city into revolt for those 2 turns. That costs around 1000 spy points only. A city in revolt does not generate any culture. ;)

7. Willem

Willem Deity

It's actually easier to make him go into anarchy since his entire empire won't be producing culture for several turns, and you don't have to bother with moving units around the map. And if there's just a few turns to go before a space race victory, the cost is pretty much irrelevant.