Can we just abbreviate Beyond Earth as Civ:SMAC?

Trias

Donkey with three behinds
Everybody knows that the upcoming title Civilization: Beyond Earth is nothing like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The suggestion alone that the two games are anything alike is beyond contemplation. For starters "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" was published by EA Games while "Civilization: Beyond Earth" will be published by 2K Games, hence it is impossible that there will be any resemblance.

Having established that can we now just start using the obvious abbreviation Civ:SMAC (or cSMAC) for Civilization: Beyond Earth? :cool:

No. We shouldn't. At all.

Because it is't.

CBE is better, and more accurate.

The Seeding appears to happen over multiple stars. Not one in particular like say Alpha Centauri. :nono:

CivBE seems the best option at this stage.

Everybody knows that the upcoming title Civilization: Beyond Earth is nothing like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The suggestion alone that the two games are anything alike is beyond contemplation. For starters "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" was published by EA Games while "Civilization: Beyond Earth" will be published by 2K Games, hence it is impossible that there will be any resemblance.

Having established that can we now just start using the obvious abbreviation Civ:SMAC (or cSMAC) for Civilization: Beyond Earth? :cool:

Well, to be fair I don't know if "Civ:SMAC" is much of an abbreviation over just typing out "Beyond Earth." ;)

Electronic Arts have the rights towards Alpha Centauri franchise ( :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: ) and this is why this game is called Beyond Earth, not Alpha Centauri.

We should be happy Firaxis managed to avoid copyright conflict with EA and can develop Beyond Earth :p

Electronic Arts have the rights towards Alpha Centauri franchise ( :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: ) and this is why this game is called Beyond Earth, not Alpha Centauri.

We should be happy Firaxis managed to avoid copyright conflict with EA and can develop Beyond Earth :p

I'll miss Provost Zakharov. :(

Why would we do that ? It's more letters and it's confusing because it's not the official name : you do know what the purpose of abbreviations are, right ?

No, because that's not what its called. If we were going that route, we should call it CIPACBIWC: Civilization I Played Alpha Centauri Before It Was Cool

a) Some people need to work on their sense of humor.
b) Also for the record cSMAC and CivBE have the same number of letters. (We could always go for cAC if you really want economy of letters.)

For obvious starter like you, OP. "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" was made by Firaxis with Brian Reynold as lead designer. It was an awesome game while doesn't sell well. EA happens to get it's name. But that doesn't mean it isn't Firaxis work.

Why we have to abbreviate SMAC for Beyond Earth is... beyond me. I prefer to use CBE instead. It make more sense not to use it from another game.

a) Some people need to work on their sense of humor.
b) Also for the record cSMAC and CivBE have the same number of letters. (We could always go for cAC if you really want economy of letters.)

Haha, no I got ya. That in mind, I think i prefer notSMAC. Don't want to break copyright after all. :D

Once again, those who will just assume this is a SMAC sequel are doing this game an injustice. It has to be its own game. It can appreciate Alpha Centauri, but SMAC should be judged on its own terms and so should this game.

Once again, those who will just assume this is a SMAC sequel are doing this game an injustice. It has to be its own game. It can appreciate Alpha Centauri, but SMAC should be judged on its own terms and so should this game.
Civ5 also is its own game compared to its prequels. That does change the fact that the only reason that this game is not called "Civilization: Alpha Centauri" is that Firaxis/2K do not own the rights to the Alpha Centauri trademark. Consequently, it cannot be an exact carbon copy of SMAC (like Civ:Colonization was).

Civ:SMAC is closer to the actual title though. What I guess would be nice about that title is that hopefully the game will live up to it by being as addicting as actual smack.

Top Bottom