1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we still gift units?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Lohengrin, May 6, 2009.

1. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Chieftain

In the past with both Civ 4 and FfH, I could easily gift units to another civilization. Having recently started playing the latest version of FfH, I am surprised that I cannot gift units to a teammate even though the units are in his territory. Is this a change? If it is still possible what triggers it? :confused:

2. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

No, I think it got removed because of exploits.

3. solistus

solistus Warlord

IIRC it was removed because people figured out you could gift national units to an ally and then build more to circumvent the limit on those units. Having them AI ally controlled is a small price to pay for fielding an army of 20 paladins ;)

4. Earthling

Earthling Deity

You can't transport friendly units in ships either afaik (of course the AI would never do this, but multiplayer games).

5. Duruk

Duruk Chieftain

(Is there a way to b)ring back gifting units, but with limitations, so you can't gift national units?

6. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Aye. I would like allies to ferry each others troops in their ships. Would be fitting imo. Specially since Rhoanna road on Falamar's ship ;) (or should I be angry about that ... Is she like a sister or a niece to me?) As to the gifting, I think it should be allowed for non-unique, non-religious, non-national units.

7. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Gifting units is blocked by a single line in the SDK. It is easy to change, but would require recompiling the DLL.

Placing limits like no world or national units should be quite simple too, but would again mean recompiling. Blocking UUs and religious units would be a bit harder, but still pretty easy for someone like Xienwolf.

I believe one of the main reasons it was removed was because units like mages that get a free promotion when they are first created would get this free promotion whenever they were gifted, so 2 humans could keep passing them back and forth for the free promotions.

8. xalien

xalien Prince

All I 'd want is to be able to gift archers and longbows to help allied civs, that's it.

9. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

It's not just that. You know how adepts get a free upgrade upon creation?
    Sending an adept back and forth gives you infinite spells. Supposedly.

10. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

too bad..
    I always want to gift archers /longbow to my poor vassals.
    or give them the religious heroes/unit when I'm about to change religion.
    I hate to lose my nurtured hero when my vassal is of my previous religion, and I go COE so he still thinks I'm of his religion... a waste of a hero...

11. Honor

Honor Immortal

Just station your archers/whatever in your vassal's or ally's cities, it'll get the job done just as well as gifting your units.

12. leo.

leo. Monkey Monster

played with a friend and made a huge skeleton army at the beginning of a game with unit gifting. was really fun. hundreds of skeletons wreak havoc on erebus :D

13. Revolutionist

Revolutionist Chieftain

The possibility of Vampire Clowns is totally why unit gifting was disabled. It's just unwholesome and disturbing. :sad:

14. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Only Calabim vampires can feast anyways .... and I am glad as such. The gifting is something that would be nice to have as a modmod, with certain controls against exploitation.

Particularly if such is wanted in multiplayer, then all would just need this modmod, atlhough to make it wide scale it would have to be easy to download ...

15. zup

zup Emperor

Imagine gifting uu's, tier 4s and strong heroes to Calabim for a bit of training. If you can trust them to give those back.

Grigori gift adventurer, Calabim upgrade to vampire lord, Calabim get him all promotions, Calabim gift back (or keep) super vampire lord. Awesome? Hell yeah!

16. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

I know this has been covered in another thread somewhere, but since it's relevant to the thread regardless; How do you re-enable unit gifting?

Problematic as it may be, all these issues are tied to multiplayer and multiple human players. It's exploitative, yes, but if you're illuminated to the 'pitfalls' it's hardly something you'll just stumble into aimlessly. It doesn't turn you into an accidental cheater.

And the AI sure as hell won't be able to cheat knowingly against you and turn it into exploitative behaviour. So yes, gifting should be turned off by default.

But I'd like to turn it on for friendly multiplayer games (where everyone is informed of the pitfalls and avoid the exploitative behaviour) and my own single player games (where it doesn't matter, anyway). :)

17. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

I would just like it as a game option or for single player only...