Can you destroy a barricade?

I am wondering if this is possible with artillery or something. I don't think I have ever tried to. The reason I ask is because I desperatly want to add in some kind of wall improvement on the terrain and am curious if any of the current improvements stand a chance at allowing me to do this. I would think that a barricade would, due to the fact it offers ZOC. SO I would imagine it would have to be destroyed or that would suck.

Anyways, just curious if anyone knows. Thanks.

You can pillage the square. I think it takes 2 or 3 tries, though, like it takes 2 pillages to clean of railroads and then roads, I think it takes a 3rd time to destroy the fort/barricade. 2 if no railroads.

Its like radar towers ... just takes determination as it adds to defence.

Bombardment will do the trick, but they are the very last things to be hit - first the units, then the roads, then barricade, then you have to hit it one last time if you want to remove the fortress.

Hmm, bombard? So an empty fortress or fortress/barricade combo could be destroyed from sea by a man-0-war in C3C. That is awesome! I know the pillage works but yes they are the last items to be pillaged. Does anyone ever build these. I do rarely -- coastal iron resource comes to mind.

I build them only at choke points, where one or two will block an entire land route. Otherwise it is just too many worker turns, and I spend most of my time on offense. I find even at choke points I am usually passing the barricades soon after they are completed.

In a few past games (about four or five, IIRC) I have shared a border with a rival that was easily defended: isthmus, mountain chain, etc. I have built forts/fortresses along the border and manned them in an effort to keep the other civ out of my area. I will usually sign an ROP with the other civ - blocking them out of my territory with my units and allowing my own to pass freely. However , soon after I get Cavs, I find those forts far behind the front lines as my hapless victim gasps its last breath. :mwaha: :trouble:

I do use them on the odd invasion, too. If I'm about to expand to a new continent, I will often send a couple galleons/transports over loaded with rifles or infantry and a few workers. They land somewhere, preferably on a mountain near the core, and construct a fortress. I then pull my workers out and put a good number of cannons or artillery there, along with a few cavs if I have them. The enemy eagerly throws himself against my impregnable bastion. What units are left over are bombarded and attacked by cavalry. As the enemy uses up all of its units on my little expeditionary force, I invade with the real army and wipe them out in short order. The now-elite infantry is used as garrisons for my newly-captured cites.

That's about it, though. Rarely build them for anything else.

EDIT: I don't want to be off topic, so to answer your question, yeah, but you have to be able to control it first. In other words, you can't destroy it while enemy units are on that tile. If no enemy units are there, you can pillage, bomb, or bombard them. Takes a little patience, though.

Hmm, not sure how to go about this then. I am wanting to modify a worker improvement to build a "wall" straucture on a tile making the tile impassable. But I want it to be able to be destroyed as well. Seems like it is do-able. But I can't figure out how I am gonna pull it off.

^^Sounds like a cool mod! This can be simulated with a barricade though. The barricade's true strength is that for any unit to attack across it, said unit must have full movement points. So with enough artillery and a few offensive units you can cut down an AI stack pretty good if not indefinitely. Remember fast units have to stack up 1 square away from the fortress and wait. It seems this is where JDAllison's strategy comes in:

I then pull my workers out and put a good number of cannons or artillery there, along with a few cavs if I have them. The enemy eagerly throws himself against my impregnable bastion. What units are left over are bombarded and attacked by cavalry. As the enemy uses up all of its units on my little expeditionary force, I invade with the real army and wipe them out in short order.

I built several in my Conquest of the World story - one to guard a Saltpeter resource in the early gunpowder age, one to guard an entryway into my empire against a more advanced civilization, and several along chokepoints in Southeast Asia. They aren't something I'd built a lot of, but they have their purpose. The Australian Saltpeter one in particular took out a lot of troops while not falling.

I am wondering if this is possible with artillery or something. I don't think I have ever tried to. The reason I ask is because I desperatly want to add in some kind of wall improvement on the terrain and am curious if any of the current improvements stand a chance at allowing me to do this. I would think that a barricade would, due to the fact it offers ZOC. SO I would imagine it would have to be destroyed or that would suck.

Anyways, just curious if anyone knows. Thanks.

#1- I never knew the AI built Forts/Barricades?
#2- 2 turns to destroy a fort/barricade, then the road/railroad I think
#3- Why not capture one?
#4- Im pretty sure u can destroy a Fort/Barricade with a Artillery Unit (since it counts as a 'improvement' like a road)

1.) Yeah, I rarely run across any. And even if I do I am more prone to take it over than destroy it, and if I destroy it, pillage works just fine for me.

3.) I am thinking of replacing the barracade improvement and adding in a wall improvement. It will be impassible and probably consume a worker seeing as I don't see any way for the worker to move from the square if it builds something that is impassible... I may be wrong and they may be able to step off of it though. However, I would like for it to be able to be destroyed. The only way I can think of is somehow allowing artillery to bombard the tile and destroy it.

I don't know how well the AI will handle this though. It may all be in vain because if the ai just puts chucks up here and there, and can't figure out a good way to use it itself (probably what will happen), then I would rather just not have it be in the game as a player would understand the concept and the AI wouldn't.

I'm not sure there is a way to make the barricade impassable. I think that might be one of the dreaded "hardcoded" features.

And also, I think the AI WILL use it... exactly at the same points it does now: at chokepoints where there is only one tile of land between two bodies of water. Whether or not that's useful to you, I don't know. It sounds like a neat idea though. :)

I'm guessing you could nuke it, but I would only if it was close to one of their cities, etc.

Top Bottom