can you explain me what's the point of hydro plants?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jim Bro, May 21, 2011.

1. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

1 - Helps to build spaceships. (as mentioned)

2 - Helps to build Utopia Project.

3 - Helps to build much needed ANYTHING.

Oh! You don't have alluminium - Trade for it then! You can trade for any resource you like as long as you are not continually pressing next turn!

2. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

They're in some (few) cities a worthy investment if you only count the hammer cost of a Hydro Plant. But are they worth it if you also take into account the research cost of its prerequisite tech? Its prerequisite tech is kinda optional to research if you aren't going for a Diplomatic Victory. And as said the building is situational, so there are likely to be few cities to divide the theoretical research investment required per Hydro Plant built.

3. ignite

ignite Chieftain

Looking at the numbers...

I have a city (not capital) with 17 base production and 35% modifier (10% workshop, 5% liberty policy, 20% golden age), so my production is 22.95. Adding a Hydro Plant would give me 11 extra hammers from the river tiles. Without golden age, but with railroad later on, I'd be netting 15.4 (11*1.4) hammers from the hydro plant. Converted to Wealth, that's 3.85 gold, covering the 3 maintenance cost. I'm also paying 2 for the Workshop though. Altogether my output would be 28 base, 39.2 after modifiers, 44.8 in golden age. The workshop pays for itself because it already gives 2 hammers, plus the 10%, and the GE slot. I'm 4 tiles from my capital, so railroad would be 8 gold for a 25% boost. Without the Hydro Plant, the railroad would be adding only 4.25 hammers. With the Hydro Plant, it adds 7, so except for the faster travel, the railroad doesn't pay for itself, while the hydro plant does.

In theory then, if the Hydro Plant adds enough hammers, it's worthwhile to build even if you're just converting the hammers.

4. Hpuk

Hpuk Warlord

This thread was before G&K, which revamped the tech tree completely when it comes to hydro plants.
    Before G&K it was often somewhat of a waste to get (or at least hard build) hydro plants, not because they were bad, but because they resided in an inconvinient spot on the tech tree, and came too late to really pay back the hammers they would cost to hard build.

They were in Plastics (Modern Age) in Vanilla, and are in Electricity (Industrial) in G&K.
    The whole Refrigeration tech line in Vanilla was pretty useless, it came way too late to pay back the investement for any victory type, except Diplo since it requires you to go through those techs.

5. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

This is a very good point if you're going Space-win.

Even a fairly poor hammer city, can build one of those cheap boosters in 14 turns, while the others concentrate on the heavy-duty ones. Done this many times, you just have to time it.

And at this stage, of course you bought everything for these cities.

A saved Artist will certainly help here. Golden Age when it matters!

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

For a city that can build build a Windmill and a Hydroplant, the Windmill would indeed be built first.

Hydroplant's benifit is dependent upon number of river hexes in the city. (+1 per tile); but any buildings that improve % production yields further improve it.

Things slow to build are often cash rushed.