1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can You Ignore Religion?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by fatboris, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Yes, you can ignore religion just fine. Just remember you might to build Shrines/Temples eventually anyway for buying Great People with Faith in the Industrial(or maybe Pagodas etc. from whatever religion you adopt).

2. sveint

sveint Warlord

Ignoring religion, intentionally or not allows you to:

Save hammers otherwise used on shrines, temples
    Save upkeep

However, it IS hard to replace some of the bonuses you miss out on. Better make sure what you are doing instead of producing faith helps you win the game.

3. Roboe

Roboe Chieftain

With the recent option to tell off AI Civs for sending missionaries/GP to your lands, does anyone know what controls the strength of that telling off? Military might or the spread of your own religion?

4. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Totally. Some of my best games were these when I ignored religion completely. I'm not saying religion is bad, I do say though it shouldn't be the highest priority. If you have to put a great effort into founding and spreading at cost of other fundamental things, then it's a waste. If you can do this 'painlessly' (Desert Folklore, religious ally etc), why not? But I wouldn't go an extra mile for it otherwise.