1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you name yourself in the game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Socratatus, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I`ve been watching some Let`s Plays, but I`ve never seen anyone name themselves (or use a custom name) in the game like you can in CIv 5 and previous Civs.

Can you name yourself in the game?

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Unfortunately no. I always named myself in previous Civ games, it's strange they removed this feature. I don't want to be Teddy Roosevelt.

Manifold and Socratatus like this.
  3. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Thanks for the reply.
    Yep, in all my years from playing the very first Civ, I always named myself. that`s what made the game for me. I will now start a fledgling empire and prove it`s power in MY name! that`s how it always has been.

I don`t, for the life of me, understand why they omit this. I am so glad I didn`t get the game as this omission would have really pissed me off. Hopefully they will include the ability to custom name yourself and your Civ, later- then i`ll buy.

Right now back to Civ 5 or 4.

4. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

It´s mysterious that I can rename my units but not cities, the empire and the ruler. Did this have something to do with the Scythian city names?

5. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

No, some Sumerian city names are as silly as the scythian ones (arabic in this case, instead of russian). The thing is we do know of sumerian city names...
    No renaming at all in the game. Except units, which is ostly useless with regards to those lacking imo.

6. Baba Yetu VI

Baba Yetu VI Warlord

I used to name my capital as "Imperial Palace" or "Empire Capital", but now the game doesn't support the feature.

But this is just a minor feature for me, I love this version very much so much so that I will stay with it for a while and if ever I have time, I will perhaps go back to CIV 5. In retrospect, CIV 5 gives me wonderful graphics, having said that, CIV 6 gives me fabulous and witty graphics and animation. More importantly, it has extended features like district which poses some challenges when decisions have to be made prior to settling a city. I love the planning. CIV 5 is simpler in this regard.

I actually find some DNA of CIV 4 in CIV 6, the tribal villages. And the bonus is not an entirety but partial instead, which I take it positively. Actually, it is more encouraging, because it granulates the bonus which means more challenges.

So far, I see all the new improvements as very thoughtful effort and really appreciate the work. I suppose each version should have its signature, be they hybrid or merely singular should not degrade itself from standing out as an advancement over the previous version. Naming cities, the rulers or other nomenclatures are afterall, minor features which for myself, I can compromise. :)