Can You Tolerant Intolerance?

Can You Tolerant Intolerance?

• Yes I can tolerant it

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No I can't tolerant it

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
"We tend to focus too much on what our own meanings are, and not enough on how they will be decoded by our readers (and listeners)."

Too true. But I'm finding out (well, I knew this, but forgot) that misunderstandings can occur even if you state things clearly with good spelling. How people "decode" what you say seems to have a lot to do with what their thoughts are coming into the discussion, what perceptions or conceptions (or misconceptions) they have about you, etc. Especially here, where we don't really KNOW each other.

I'm not sure how to combat this--I'm sure I've misconstrued people's meanings and intentions here, and I know people have misconstrued mine. But that just shows that words can't convey all the essence of meaning there is.

"The communication of ideas is a complex enough process as it is, to further complicate it with avoidable errors, don't you think?"

Well, if it's not an ambiguous mispelling (i.e. the word misspelt can be reasonably deduced from context), this isn't so much of a problem. As for an unconscious hint of stupidity, I guess I've learned never to underestimate ANYONE--because that can be a tactical error.... ;)

Originally posted by allan2
As for an unconscious hint of stupidity, I guess I've learned never to underestimate ANYONE--because that can be a tactical error.... ;)

Than I gess you are a truely tollerant invidual! :p

But seriously--don't you think it's also a tactical error to allow yourself to be underestimated by those you may otherwise use to your own advantage (say, for instance, in a job interview), because of an inability to correctly place an apostrophe?

Implying that the other guy is stupid because he thinks you're stupid because your grammar isn't perfect is fine. In fact, it's probably true. But it still doesn't change the fact that he didn't give you the job, right?
:crazyeye:

(sorry for the thread-jacking, Juize. I'll stop now) [punch]

Originally posted by CurtSibling
If any of you want to see intolerance.
Just read the forums, you'll find plenty.

It is a shame some people cannot see beyond their narrow
Way of thinking.

Hey, but we are all guilty of it at some point.

Bad grammar is unacceptable, however.
Except when it is your second language.

But for English speakers...
Get back to school you thickos who can't spell!

:rolleyes:

thickos

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for thickos:
1. thicks
2. thicket
3. thickest
4. thickish
5. thiazole
6. thickheads
7. Thicket
8. thickhead
9. thiazoles
10. thicker
11. thickets

Originally posted by Ozz
thickos

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for thickos:
1. thicks
2. thicket
3. thickest
4. thickish
5. thiazole
6. thickheads
7. Thicket
8. thickhead
9. thiazoles
10. thicker
11. thickets [/B]

:lol:

Originally posted by dannyevilcat
Racism and sexism aren't only "opinions" which people just keep to themselves. These things directly affect the lives of minorities and women, and that should never be tolerated.

I personally believe and give minorities and women enough credit that they can fight back if they want to. Besides we have the police for this. I'm not sure where your from, but wherever I go into white collar areas I see that the racial mixture is parallel to that of the overall population.
I can't get a job where I want becasue of my hair. I know this because I have several friends with the same and its hard for them to get jobs, but my cousin who isn't great at presenting himself has a nice-boy(I follow the rules) haircut had less experience than I did and got the job no prob. Its none of my business if they don't want to hire me. I COULD cut my hair but theres about as much chance of that happening than a black guy waking up white.

Originally posted by goodbye_mr_bond

That's absolutely true--but it doesn't change the fact that how good your memory is and how 'detail-oriented' you are has an impact in how you appear to others. I'm writing about appearing stupid, not actually being.

Of course what is said is more important. But HOW something is said is also--deceptively--meaningful. We tend to focus too much on what our own meanings are, and not enough on how they will be decoded by our readers (and listeners).

The communication of ideas is a complex enough process as it is, to further complicate it with avoidable errors, don't you think?

(Having said that, yes, English is a b*tch to learn :) )

I agree. You must be English.

I personally believe and give minorities and women enough credit that they can fight back if they want to.

Hard to disagree with this statement. The question which was asked was whether I can tolerate it, though. I don't run into either racism or sexism very often, but I will support the victims of both every time (unless I think they are milking it for attention).

Just because it's someone elses problem doesn't mean it ain't mine too, as a responsible citizen. I'm not endorsing martial law as an alternative or anything :)

Originally posted by Ozz

thickos

I was using Glasgow dialect, which is an officially recognised
langauge by the EU...so go suck your dictonary!
:D
Your criticism is amazing coming from a nation that can't decide
on a language to use.

Anyhow,
Now go back through every post that has used slang, incorrect spelling, or curse words...And correct the poster on his transgression.
This will mean 100% of the North Amercian and Swedish posts.

Off you go...I'm waiting.

Hippy

Couldn't be more wrong. In fact your in the wrong field with an Albanian tractor.

Oops, I'm being intolerant!

(In a very English sarcastic tone.) Yes. Well done.

Lt, Colonel.
I notice you took offence to being called hippy but not racist?

"In fact your in the wrong field with an Albanian tractor."
I've always wanted a tractor!
Cheers, you angry hippy!

'Cos my first post already stated I wasn't racist, though I never said I wasn't a hippy.

Oh and I was also being humorous. I don't take anything personally so just know you'll never have (that kind) of falling out with me.

Here's your surfboard back!

You get some points for that one!

Now go back through every post that has used slang, incorrect spelling, or curse words...And correct the poster on his transgression.

It's your problem not mine, and I quote.

But for English speakers...
Get back to school you thickos who can't spell!

I guess it doesn't apply to you, THICKO
(Hey! I can speak Glasgow dialect too!)

CurtSibling

"At least we thickos in Glasgow don't say "eh" after every sentence!"

Aw, Your just too thicko to remember to do it!
We can't all be blessed with a Triple digit I.Q.

goodbye_mr_bond

Would you say the wit and intelligence of this
thread are declining as fast as the tolerance?

I gotta say one thing. Freedom of speech seems to have been quelched by PC(politcal correctness). It is realy a shame. I believe that if Neo-Nazis wanna march in a city and have some parade let them. If they march they aren't doing anything bad, However, if they get violent or act on what they say then you need to haul them off to a jail cell full of black violent colours, then they'll see who is superior in that setting.

But still it seems freedom of speech has gone too far. Its funny what i saw on 20/20 a few weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to see this segment but they tried to be controversial by having a segment on the word ******. however they didn't say that word once, They kept on reffering to it as the "N" word. Its that kind of crap that seems to have gone too far. I mean if you want to be "controvercial" but you dont even say the word that you are doing your report on it seems pretty useless. (note about that segment: the reporter didn't use it from how much i saw, but ppl who were being interviewed said it and it wasn't censored)

But back to the main topic. Im tolerant of intollant people as long as they dont act on their stupid statements.

And I dont give a flying F*&k about my spelling, this is a forum, not a term paper or report. I consider this as a conversation between me and a friend so i dont care about my grammar and spelling.

Top Bottom