Can You Tolerant Intolerance?

Can You Tolerant Intolerance?

• Yes I can tolerant it

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No I can't tolerant it

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
Me thinks that a definition for the word 'tolerance' should be showed.

Originally posted by MrPresident

Look in a dictationary, if you don't have one I suggest visiting the following site.
www.webster.com

The explanations of dictionaries vary.
So you should pick up some definition and add it to your first post saying:
"By tolerance and intolerance I mean... (copy/paste from some site)"

Well I'm all for freedom of speech. I tolerate all kinds of ideas. Most of them I'm just indifferent towards. Some intolerance like racism or sexism or whatever I just don't care one way or the other. I myself am not racist though I know people who are and I 'tolerate' their ideas. I just can't stand it when a middle class white liberal starts going on about how anti-racist they are. Its so fake. As far as I'm concerned if some intelligent black guy comes along and gets called a string of insults by a good 'ol boy down south I think the black guy is intelligent enough not to give a sh!t and doesn't need the great white hope coming to his rescue. I'd say he could handle it himself.

Yes, I can tolerate intolerance.

You do know, of course, there is only one answer that can't be turned around on us, and show us for the hypocrites we all are :p

I cannot tolerate intolerance. This makes me intolerant, therefore I can't tolerate myself. If I was a more advaned human being, I'd be able to take things like racism and sexism in stride, but these things piss me off too much, and intolerance usually affects whatever we are intolerant of.

So does this make me tolerant of intolerance toward intolerance? Or am I intolerant of those who are tolerant of intolerance towards tolerance? :)

"Well I'm all for freedom of speech. I tolerate all kinds of ideas. Most of them I'm just indifferent towards. Some intolerance like racism or sexism or whatever I just don't care one way or the other. I myself am not racist though I know people who are and I 'tolerate' their ideas. I just can't stand it when a middle class white liberal starts going on about how anti-racist they are. Its so fake. As far as I'm concerned if some intelligent black guy comes along and gets called a string of insults by a good 'ol boy down south I think the black guy is intelligent enough not to give a sh!t and doesn't need the great white hope coming to his rescue. I'd say he could handle it himself."

What Kilgore said.

Is the question really, "Would you support laws against intolerant speech?" My answer would be, absolutely not. Why add force to the equation?

We can try to PERSUADE a person to look at things differently (or shrug and not take him seriously), but we cannot FORCE him to change.

And besides, I guess I'd rather KNOW who is a bigot by letting them say it, then NOT know because they are silenced. By all means, LET them expose themselves as being full of tripe!

If any of you want to see intolerance.
Just read the forums, you'll find plenty.

It is a shame some people cannot see beyond their narrow
Way of thinking.

Hey, but we are all guilty of it at some point.

Bad grammar is unacceptable, however.
Except when it is your second language.

But for English speakers...
Get back to school you thickos who can't spell!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by CurtSibling
If any of you want to see intolerance.
Just read the forums, you'll find plenty.
I have to disagree with that. These forum are well behaved compared to some places.

Can I tolerate intolerance? Yes. I have to live with a person that is a racist. How long can I tolerate it? I have no idea, but luckily she doesn't open her stupid mouth to often to stick her foot in it. Next time she feels the need to talk about someone because of their race I will be tested to my limit in tolerance. The things you do to make your wife happy (my wife is not the racist one, her sister is).

I mostly have a hard time tolerating people who are intolerant of my strange behaviour :(

It's easier to tolerate intolerance when the intolerance is not aimed at you. For example: when you're white and somebody is speaking badly about coloured people it's really annoying but it would be tolerable. When you're coloured yourself I can't see how you would be able to tolerate such ideas.

It's easier to tolerate intolerance when the intolerance is not aimed at you.
Human self-interest. It is the same with most things in life. People want to save the environment but not if fuel prices rise. People want better public services but not if taxes rise. And so on.

Personally I think there is a difference of being against intolerance and being intolerant to it, if you can see what I mean. You can try to argue with an intolerant person about changing their ways but you shouldn't force them. The test of any society is how it acts towards those who against it.

Racism and sexism aren't only "opinions" which people just keep to themselves. These things directly affect the lives of minorities and women, and that should never be tolerated. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but freedom goes for everyone, and if we have to come to a middle ground between freedoms and coexistence, then we should live in the balance.

And what's with the spelling and grammer nazis? Who cares? We all understood the question.

Originally posted by dannyevilcat
And what's with the spelling and grammer nazis? Who cares? We all understood the question.

The ability to use the language eloquently is a very useful skill--especially for participants in a written community. All we have to go by here are written words. You may not think it, but people will judge the quality of your opinions at least partly on the quality of your language.

Why? Because they can't read your mind, they can't read your face and they can't read the tone of your voice. Just your written words.

There is a correlation between how well-read one is and how well one can write. Frankly put, people who make frequent basic spelling and grammar mistakes, such as not knowing when to use "its" and "it's" or confuse entirely different terms such as "a lot" and "alot," betray the fact that they simply don't read very much, or very deeply. And, to be honest, it is uncommon to find those who do not read and yet are intellectually well-developed.

So, in short, bad spelling makes one look stupid.

"So, in short, bad spelling makes one look stupid."

Not really. Now I tend to be a good speller, but that's just because of how my mind works--I'm pretty left-brained.

But in English, the spelling rules are chaotic--the spelling of our words is a lot of times based on how those words were pronounced hundreds of years ago! So they are not intuitive, not phonetic (like Spanish words are spelled), and therefore for some people spelling is a huge chore of rote-memorization--not easy for everyone. Yet difficulty with this type of task is not indicative of lack of intelligence--there is far more to intelligence than how memory or detail-oriented you are.

I try to figure out what was actually SAID--how it was said isn't as important (as long as it is not said maliciously!).

My two pesos worth....

Originally posted by allan2
Yet difficulty with this type of task is not indicative of lack of intelligence--there is far more to intelligence than how memory or detail-oriented you are.

That's absolutely true--but it doesn't change the fact that how good your memory is and how 'detail-oriented' you are has an impact in how you appear to others. I'm writing about appearing stupid, not actually being.

Of course what is said is more important. But HOW something is said is also--deceptively--meaningful. We tend to focus too much on what our own meanings are, and not enough on how they will be decoded by our readers (and listeners).

The communication of ideas is a complex enough process as it is, to further complicate it with avoidable errors, don't you think?

(Having said that, yes, English is a b*tch to learn :) )

Top Bottom