Can you turn all other civs into free cities?

At the same time? Sure. But it would be a pain to pull off. Basically leave them with last cities and starve them. Probably best done with Suleiman, as captured cities with more pop will exert much more pressure.

edit: if you mean every city into free city well, hmm sure, as long as you block the AI from getting them back and keep your own cities nice and distant. Again, a pain more than complexity. You also need to prevent other ais from getting them

@Fluphen Azine: Peaceful domination actually isn't that hard on a pangea map, but that's not what Victoria means I think. @Victoria: interesting concept... I'm assuming you want their cities to flip but then stay free, right? Some thoughts: pillage all their luxury resources to reduce happiness | run bread and circuses till cities flip, then stop to remove the loyalty pressure once they are free cities | perhaps use Lautaro for his loyalty reducing pillage ability | build a huge army and pester all of the AI at the same time, trying to get all of them into a dark age.

I think it'd be hard. And doubt if it'll be fun. Would be impressed if you pulled it off. Show us if you do!

I think it'd be hard. And doubt if it'll be fun. Would be impressed if you pulled it off. Show us if you do!
Yep, keep em free. I'll have a play. I think your and my idea of fun are quite different. This is the type of thing I like to try, something different and testing the mechanics of it.

You also need to prevent other ais from getting them
I think you would have to be pretty dominant to pull it off. I will try on a lower level.

The "good" thing is that free cities do have loyalty pressure and prevent other free cities to switch to a civilization. Once a few are free, they will not switch back to any civilization. In Online speed setting, the spy's trouble mission take 4 turns, -1 turn with the policy cards, promotion or golden age dedication. A city cannot fight a -35 Loyalty per turn. If we can deal with it, there is other ways to reduce the loyalty. You know the classic moves: kill the governor and the nearby Viktor, put Amani nearby, make sure they are unhappy (+6 go to -6, but hard to control), and if they founded a religion, change it (+3 go to -3), you could manage to make them flip more easily. Or go to war and make them starve*.

But you will probably need the Rock band for that strategy. First you need to train them with +2 level promotions like Glam Rock or Arena Rock (also depend what districts has the target civilization) before going to Indie. You either do a 3 Rock Band performances / 2 Rock Bands + Spy to instantly make the city free (but risky). Or you drain the Loyalty with spies before finishing the job with a Rock band. I think this is the way to go: the difficulty will not be on the city on your border but those are far away. It is improbale you will have all the city within 10 tiles of your empire.

Or, you can also ICS the world to prevent the other civilization to settle cities and reduce the amount of work to be done. The Phoenician can be a good idea for this: +50% Production towards settlers with the Cothon, additional movement for Settlers in the water, you can forward settling on the coast of the same continent without worrying the Loyalty issue. The Capital city deals double loyalty pressure, and since the Phoenician can move their capital around, it is an additionnal tool that can be used for more loyalty pressure!

As said by @Bangau, the Mapuche are also nice if you go the warmonger route. You could pilllage for -5 Loyalty each time. Tier2 promotion "Depredation" for Light Cavalry and the Malon Raider reduce the pillaging cost to 1 Movement, making this easier to pull off. Plus, pillaging all the luxury ressource, entertainement district and all the farm will put them in starving (-4 Loyalty) and unrest (-6 Loyalty).

Be careful with Eleonor: even if you refuse to take the city, her Great Works are still going to do loyalty pressure and other civilization can grab the city even if they just have Amani around.

*: I wonder if we can "peacefully" make a city starving and facing an unrest. For example, I make an alliance with the civilization while being in Democracy with the Alliance card, put all my Trader to the target city (+6 Food 10 Traders = +60 Food) to make it grows like crazy. Then the alliance stops: the city suddenly have no food while not having the Amenity to sustain a 40+ Population city. You could finish the job with the spies. While free, it isn't sure the city will go back to the former civilization. Due to the large Population, it may prevent it to face too much Loyalty issue.

Last edited:
Once you decline to add them to your empire through Loyalty pressure the city doesn't receive Loyalty pressure from you. Maybe take all the surrounding territory and strand them in a Loyalty void while keeping any other civs from swooping in and capturing them. The Embargo Stratagem!

Yep, keep em free. I'll have a play. I think your and my idea of fun are quite different. This is the type of thing I like to try, something different and testing the mechanics of it.

I think you would have to be pretty dominant to pull it off. I will try on a lower level.

Actually @Aurelesk is on to it. The two key points:

1) if you reject a city, you stop exerting pressure on it

2) free cities exert loyalty

So whether by conquest or slowly flipping key cities, it should be relatively easy to do. Just surround groups of cities, conquer some to let them flip free, then start chain conquering to prevent foreign loyalty from being dominant while rejecting any that want to join you.

Eventually you should be able to let loyalty finish it off while you sit back and drink tea. Dido and Eleanor might cause problems, not sure.

edit: really no different than a dom run, I guess, except you reject every city.

Top Bottom