1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada and Inca. Best Civs for Diety

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MarigoldRan, Apr 17, 2019.

1. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Inca is self-explanatory. Awesome econ, awesome UU. Mountain bias start, which is the best (easy campus adjacency bonuses).

Canada? Vanilla civ, but has one awesome trick: can't be DOWed early, which is when the AI is the biggest threat. Canadian early game economy is one of the best since you can totally skip military units and pump out builders and settlers and go up to 8 cities easily. Canada is also very consistent. Like, it doesn't matter who you start next to (e.g. Mongolia, 15 tiles away) and you're still perfectly fine.

I can't believe people think Canada is bad. They're not. They're A-tier, possibly S.

Plaidman likes this.
  2. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

My experience is that I always have to build some units to fight off barbs. I also play fractal maps with normal setting which limit good spots to settle. What settings are you playing on? I do intend to try them again and actually play through a whole game with them. It was pointed out to me the fun of Canada is watching the Appeal tense to find the spots for natural parks.

3. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

You still get denounced by civilizations and you still get formal war declarations on you. Canada isn't immune.

ggmoyang and Hawke9 like this.
  4. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Chieftain

AI's seem to favor joint wars (which count as formal wars) as their "surprise" attack. I agree with Ziad, that Canada is still vulnerable as a result.

5. MonkeyPaw

MonkeyPaw Chieftain

I've mostly been playing Canada since GS and agree about its advantage. In most games I have to weather at least one big early attack from the AI, but never with Canada. They seem to get distracted fighting each other and forget about me.

6. Hogimus

Hogimus Chieftain

I don't know about best, but I agree that being immune to early warfare is much better than people give them credit for. I've played them A LOT since GS launched, and I've never been DOW'd. Also, people that think they are bottom tier obviously don't know how good National Parks are. I got my fastest CV with them while building very few wonders or theater squares.

7. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Canada is not immune to early warfare. Canada is not immune to early warfare. Canada is not immune to early warfare. Say it with me!

Seriously, the AI denounces the player all the time, opening them up to attack from a formal war declaration. And, even if that doesn't happen, you have to deal with barbarians (which aren't functioning properly right now, but are likely fixed in the next patch) and you might want units to help with a city-state emergency or something. Not building any military doesn't seem like a good idea.

8. Hogimus

Hogimus Chieftain

Have you had to fight an early war as them? I agree that barbs are still an issue, but that takes a lot less of a military investment. They may not be totally immune, but they are effectively immune. I've had AI move a bunch a units towards me as if they are about to declare a surprise war, and then have them move off.

9. Arilian

Arilian Chieftain

I played 2 games with canada in deity and forward settled civs and was not even dowed once.
    I agree that it is very strong, and if you like and want peaceful games, it is the best.

10. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

As long as you send an embassy on the first turn of meeting an AI, they will never denounce you (unless they're Cleopetra, but she's unique and you'll almost never start next to her as she has a desert bias and you have a tundra bias). Are you somehow NOT sending an embassy to the AI upon meeting them?

They're not just good at peaceful victories. They're good at domination, too, because they have a free boom to get their economy going. My build order with Canada is builder, settler, settler. Tech to Early Empire and Writing (no need for Agoge or Archery). LOL.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  11. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

A couple of barbs show up but they don't do those massive invasions in GS anymore. Generally city states and allies can take care of them.

Like you probably still want a slinger but that's about it. Standard settings, btw, but large, epic, pangea.

12. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

There are a few AI that will denounce you because it is almost impossible to fulfill their agenda early game (hence, necessary to give them gifts to prevent denunciation): Egypt as you said, Korea, Norway, Russia come to mind)

Usually getting a builder to improve resources for gifts is the way to go. Usually +10 favorable trade deals to them prevents any denunciation; with other civs, there is still a chance that AI will not become friendly even with massive positive relationship bonuses (I call them AI who are irredeemably evil) and still surprise DoW you... (looking at you Curtin... you hypocrite!) Canada is at least immune to that.

So their ability is not foolproof, but it is a great help to ward off certain jerk AIs...

13. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

This is a bug. It's likely to be fixed in the next patch. See here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/do-barb-camps-spawn-invasion-forces-anymore.644989, especially post #26.

A delegation is not always sufficient to prevent denunciation. Even if it were, that's a lot of Gold that might be better spent elsewhere.

Also, not building some early units to scout the map is poor play. You'll be missing all kinds of tribal villages, first meets, wonder discoveries, and so on. That's a lot to miss!

14. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

While I don't agree with them being a high tier civ, I think they are probably at their strongest on deity. Its the level where four faces of peace is definitely most useful. For sure I also agree with the OP that playing them passively is a bad idea. At the very, very least you want that favour from emergencies to sell for lots of juicy cash money.

In my experience I have still yet to be denounced when playing Canada... Even forward settling into Chandragupta I have been able to avoid a denouncement. Others have said they've had worse luck but it still seems like a few judicious gifts/delegations are enough. So while not immune to early war, they are relatively close I would say.

I think people maybe undervalue their tourism boost once they hit national parks (also flight/hockey) since it's turnlocked quite late and you have to build/buy mounties. Both of those are major negatives but on the other hand it's reliably achievable, a significant boost and usually puts you in range of a victory in short order...

15. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Barbarians are broken as of now (see Bug Reports), supposedly fixed for next update, so the entire OP statement regarding "ignoring early military" is based on a huge BUG, and therefore a fallacy.

16. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

They are nice too in multiplayer.

Build minimal military. Expand. If get Declared, build military. So simple.

17. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

How is that different than anyone else? I guess you get the 5-turn warning, but anyone with some sense would denounce Canada upon meeting them so that they wouldn't have to worry about it later.

18. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

Interesting perspective... I'd not played multiplayer but I'd assumed Canada would be subject to perpetual denouncement by the other players to negate their special ability...

19. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Denouncing civs give grievances. People rarely denounce just for fun. Canada players can play peacefully most of the time.

On the opposite it's hard for Canada to get into edge if neighbor knows that an attack is coming.

Best bet for Canada is to declare 5 turns before Mercenaries and attack with stronger units.

20. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

Thanks for the perspective. Do greivances affect other players? I thought it was purely an AI mechanic. I've been multiplayer-curious but never dipped my toes.