1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada and Inca. Best Civs for Diety

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MarigoldRan, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Grievances can affect your loyalty when you take cities from an opponent, but that's about it. A single denounce doesn't cause enough grievances to matter. In multi-player, I don't see how Canada is any different from anyone else.

2. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Grievances decrease your Diplomatic Favour.

Also, Canada still sucks.

3. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Chieftain

Once national parks and mounties come along Canada is in a perpetual golden age.

4. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

The AI is a lot more aggressive and makes a lot more units in GS. More power to Canada.

5. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

I've found the opposite to be true. In nearly every game that I play, I'm friendly or allied to every AI pretty early and that stays true for the entire game. Every now and then, one ally declares war on another and I have to pretend that I'm at war for 10 turns, but then things go back to normal. I hardly ever see any AI aggression at all. It's nerf mode, for sure.

6. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

I've been watching the AIs conquer one another in my Pangea games.

7. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Yeah, I've seen an AI conquer another AI a few times. None has ever bothered to attack me, though. It's too easy to get "Friend" status.

8. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Thanks for clarification about grievances. Of course Canada isn't the panacea but it has some interesting and unique ways to play with.

9. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

But you're not going to get that in the first 30 turns, which is when it matters the most. You start next to Zulu or Mongolia and you're kinda f-ed. Even if you survive, it's going to set you back a bit.

Especially true now that the city states gets walls, so the AI will prioritize YOU.

10. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

But, you're wrong. I've started next to both numerous times and I was always able to get "Friend" status early in the game and then keep it for the rest of the game.

11. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

No, I've started next to both numerous times and got DOWed within 30 turns.

You're wrong.

12. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

Great to know that every game will not play out identically, right? :)

CPWimmer likes this.
  13. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Hence, Canada is not immune to early war, but even if it was, it wouldn't be much different from most others since the AI rarely declares an early war anyway. Unless you're trying to anger them, I guess. Maybe you're forward settling them? But then they'd just denounce you anyway, right?

14. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

No, on Deity the Ai declares early war 60% of the games I play when I'm not Canada. Are you somehow running a pacifist mod?

15. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Of course I'm not running a pacifist mod. Is that a thing?

16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Every now and then you put out these ‘best’ posts but you do not seem to consider everything. It is not be the first time you said X was best at deity and in the past resounding replies have been Aztecs... and yet again ... a good discussion on the subject is great but the titles just annoy me. There are threads that discus All civs in deity and the general consensus is the early bonus civs do better than the later bonus ones.
    I just played a Canada game, forward settled someone who had nowhere else to go and we’re not at war with anyone else and they denounced me immediately. So I am unconvinced.
    Additionally, sending an envoy does not guarantee a civ will not denounce you. In fact the best way seems to be to not show them your capital.
    I am not saying you are all wrong but equally I am not saying you are all right. I am saying best is a stupid word when so much is map and start reliant, you have top tier civs and Canada is in essence vanilla for a long time beyond no surprise. Way too long to be strong. Barbs can surprise you and wipe you out, Canada as S tier is a step too far. Sure they may not die as easily at the start but S tier is a big claim with so many contenders as well as the incans.

CPWimmer and Pietato like this.
  17. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

But as long as you don't die at the start you'll eventually win. They're one of the most reliable for wins. I mean, they're not going to win a speed-winning contest, but percentage wise they're up there with Nubia, Aztecs, and Incans.

With any other civ you've got the problem of: "but what if the Mongols start 15 tiles away?" With Canada that's not a problem. With Canada you can have an utter crap of a start (in terms of people around you) and you'll still win without too much difficulty.

18. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

None of this makes sense to me. If you don't die at the start, you'll eventually win with almost any civ. It's not like Canada has great bonuses that make it win faster or something. Any game that Canada wins could have been won by almost any other civilization with less effort, probably in a faster time. Assuming that you don't die at the start, of course. And, as we established, Canada is not immune to early warfare.

And as Canada, you almost always will have an utter crap of a start thanks to the tundra bias.

19. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Right. The key is to "not die at the start." Guess who's really good at that? Canada.

Also, on Pangea half your starts will be jungle starts as Canada, because oftentimes the map generator doesn't know where to put you, With anyone else you start next to Mongols or Nubia and you're like f-. Canada? No biggie.

20. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

You really need to stop making these threads, or actually start thinking things through before posting.

Moderator Action: Please do not lecture other posters about their posting habits. If you have a problem with someone's post, just report it and let us handle it -- above all, do not post your complaint in the public thread -- Browd
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019