1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada as a Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Varitok, May 28, 2016.

1. Varitok

Varitok Chieftain

I think it would be cool to finally see my country represented. Maybe with some diplomatic bonuses for said victory type. Would love to see someone like William Lyon Mackenzie King as the leader. What do you think? What countries would you like to see represented?

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Since Poland, Indonesia, and Brazil (countries with a video game market) got well received representation in the last game, and TSL is a consideration, it wouldn't surprise me if Canada and Australia got representation this time around.

3. T.C.Douglas

T.C.Douglas Medicare

I hope to see Canada in there, represented by either William Mackenzie King or Pierre Trudeau.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I hope not. Too many modern civs as it is. :( Actually, this makes me think: I'd love to see a feature where you can tell the game not to consider certain civs in random selection--that way, those of us like myself who aren't a fan of more modern civs can disable civs like America and Brazil, but those who still want them can have them.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Canada as DLC, though.

5. Varitok

Varitok Chieftain

Thats a good option actually. I think we've seen a lot of ancient civs already but I would have to agree that Ancient ones interest me more, I just want to see Canada finally get a little love :)

6. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

I'd say Australia is more probable if we're regarding TSL as serious factor. On TSL maps Canadan territory lies very close to American + Native American civilisations so emptiness here isn't that apparent, but Australian region is more isolated and empty, if Indonesia fails I've seen it sometimes empty till modern era.

That saying, with all my sympathy towards Canada and Australia, I'd prefer as few modern civs in the game as possible, combined with 1st tier non-Western civilisations having priority over 2nd tier Western nations.

I mean, after all, Canada and Australia are so similar to America, compared to the diversity of other civilisations in series.

7. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I'd say that Post Colonial civs have a place in civ since the inclusion of Brazil, yes, the US has always been there, but it was the exception.

I think Canada has a lot going against it, mainly sharing a lot of commonalities with the US, probably even Australia got a better shot at it due to its TSL.

That said, I think limiting shared language to 2 civs per language is ideal (if it has to be done)

-English speaking -America
    -Portuguese speaking - Brazil
    -Spanish speaking - Gran Colombia, Mexico, Argentina (take your pick)
    -French speaking - Tahiti ?

We even got two German speaking in civ5

8. Varitok

Varitok Chieftain

You also got the UK for english speaking.

I think it would be a good time to show the differences between Canada and the US because contrary to what people believe there are a lot of differences. Maybe factor in our more peace loving stance and less focus on military. Social services like healthcare. Our diverse culture. We shouldn't have to be skimmed over because we speak english and live on the same continent. I feel thats a bit unfair but I respect your opinions on it.

9. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Sorry if I came up disrespectful, I'm just looking at it from the TSL focus the devs seem to be taking, I'd love it for Mexico to make it as well, but again due to TSL other South American post colonial probably got a better shot at it.

But who knows, seeing as leaders dont have backgrounds this time around (which were really intricate in civ5), and UU's and agendas seem to be leader specific. There's a strong chance we'll see a lot more civs and multiple leaders on Civ6 down the road, then more english speaking wouldn't be as much of an issue.

10. Varitok

Varitok Chieftain

Oh its okay, I was just trying to point out some differences.

Yeah it is hard to fit all these different civs from different era`s considering some of them have occupied the same space just at different times. Lets just hope we get some diversity of playable civs.

11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I hope not, speaking as a Canadian.

But they might as pure fan service.

Canada works best as a city-state, because our foreign policy is very much like that of a City-states.

So I want Ottawa as a city-state

12. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Sure why not?

They are already added Brazil as a civilization (which it's not, it's a very modern state). If we're getting more fanservice why not Australia too?

13. Ezumiyr

Ezumiyr Warlord

Tahiti is very small. Better as a city state, I think.
    Valid candidates I can think about :
    - in America : Québec / Haïti. Québec is not really a good candidate, though. But Haïti would be very interesting.
    - in Africa : there are a lot a post-colonial french speaking country - why Canada if you can have Senegal ? It would be a nice addition, and there are not many civs in Africa. Also : Congo, Madagascar, Mali... I see no reason why post-colonial African statesn couldn't be in the game, and it would be less redundant than Canada or Australia.
    - in Europe : Belgium. I think it would be nice to see them in a Civ.
    But also Switzerland. Nobody can deny that they have a very particular culture and they could have a very interesting gameplay, remaining neutral about everything, with mountain-specific bonusq (so Pachacuti is no longer lonely).

14. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

Canada is arguably the most powerful modern nation not represented by civ besides Italy (which has Rome, but still..). It has also played a pretty big role in both world wars- by the end of WW2 we had the fifth largest navy and third largest air force in the world.

I definitely don't expect it in the base game, but I would be happy to see Canada included as DLC. Also, for those who don't want modern civs in their games (or simply dislike a civ or two), there should be an option to disable certain civs from appearing.

15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Good points on potential french speaking civs, I actually meant to say Haiti (dislexia hits again) mainly because Toussaint Louverture would make one badass leader.

If we get some sort of economic victory Switzerland could bring some interesting playstyles.

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

It would be nice to see Canada as a Civ, finally, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if that didn't happen. Please no Pierre Trudeau as a leader, though. :sad:

17. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I really wonder what would you feel if you see your own father in Civilization VI :mischief:.

About Canada's inclusion. I think they have a solid chance in expansions. But I wonder if their proximity to Iroquois would hinder it, or vice versa.

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I highly Justin Trudeau would play Civ VI but it would raise my opinion of him considerably, though. ;)

19. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

If Canada did make it in, I would expect it would either be Laurier or Pearson.

Speaking as a Canadian, while it would be cool to make it in, I don't think it really makes sense until later as a more modern-day DLC or expansion.

5 did a good job at bringing in new civs that haven't appeared before, and they seemed to be well received overall. Hopefully they will continue that trend in 6.

20. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I hope Canada in the game, and I see good chances for this to happen.

I think that Canada should have a focus on diplomacy, and perhaps something that involves obtaining resources.