Canada defends women's rights; Saudi Arabia threatens 9/11-style attack

This whole saga has just taken a turn toward the meme, with Saudi Arabia whatabout-ing Canada by slamming Canada's human-rights record, apparently including the case of notable Canadian 'prisoner of conscience', Dr. Jordan B Peterson.
Say whut? :dubious:

Are they seriously calling him a prisoner of conscience? He's not a prisoner of anything. He can go where he wants and say any ridiculous thing he wants, as long as it's not hate speech in Canada.

Are they seriously calling him a prisoner of conscience? He's not a prisoner of anything. He can go where he wants and say any ridiculous thing he wants, as long as it's not hate speech in Canada.
Well that's a funny post. It contains a thesis and then debunks it immediately in only three sentences.

That started days ago with KSA twitter trolls.

I mean, it started months or perhaps years ago with alt-right trolls, technically, but those claims that Peterson was a martyr weren't connected to the Saudi Arabia thing at all.

I mean, it started months or perhaps years ago with alt-right trolls, technically, but those claims that Peterson was a martyr weren't connected to the Saudi Arabia thing at all.

Probably some Saudi guy googled for "canadian human rights abuses", and presented the info to his royal patrons as being highly on topic. Then returned to whatever public execution he was assigned to oversee.

Statements like this are a huge pet peeve of mine. I find it more than a little disgusting and morally reprehensible for those who have never experienced war to sit in the comfort and safety of their own homes and advocate for war.

You sit there and say you think someone should destroy their military assets, but I bet if your country was the one to do it, you wouldn't even consider picking up a rifle and going to fight. And I don't care how much of a jerk I sound like for saying this, but it takes a pretty big coward to advocate for a war that you aren't willing to go fight yourself.

They already have a war going in Yemen, one they started. No need to actually advocate for one. The yemenis have been quite competent at giving them a bloody nose whenever they haven't used air force against a country that lacks one.
All that would be necessary to have the saudi assets in Yemen destroyed as I said was for the saudi's allies to cease replenishing their weapons and giving them intelligence. Because the saudis cannot either manufacture or repair the weapons they use. They'd lose the war soon enough. And guess which country is selling them the "intelligent" bombs, providing the targeting intelligence, refueling their planes and maintaining them. BTW, that targeting intelligence seems really fine for hitting markerts and busloads of children.

Last edited:
Wait... Peterson is a Doctor? Of what?

This is potentially embarrassing...

Now that is really embarrassing. On behalf of clinical psychologists everywhere, I offer my heartfelt apology and ask that you don't hold his behaviour against us.

I'm going to go rip up my diplomas. This is bad...

Now that is really embarrassing. On behalf of clinical psychologists everywhere, I offer my heartfelt apology and ask that you don't hold his behaviour against us.

Heh. No need to apologize obviously. Actually, one of my very close friends has an undergrad degree in clinical psychology and is in grad school for it now working toward a PhD.

I'm going to go rip up my diplomas. This is bad...

BeBerBon isn't worth that

BeBerBon has a PhD in clinical psychology.

Everyone knows that only psychiatrists are actual doctors ^_^

Anyway, so claim psychiatrists; though they do have a point, regarding that they are at least aware of medicines to be used. Afaik in many cases it is either far easier, or just the only possible solution, to use drugs as part (major or minor) of the treatment.

They already have a war going in Yemen, one they started. No need to actually advocate for one. The yemenis have been quite competent at giving them a bloody nose whenever they haven't used air force against a country that lacks one.
All that would be necessary to have the saudi assets in Yemen destroyed as I said was for the saudi's allies to cease replenishing their weapons and giving them intelligence. Because the saudis cannot either manufacture or repair the weapons they use. They'd lose the war soon enough. And guess which country is selling them the "intelligent" bombs, providing the targeting intelligence, refueling their planes and maintaining them. BTW, that targeting intelligence seems really fine for hitting markerts and busloads of children.

Can't blame just the US. UK has just clinched a deal to sell them more Typhoons and RAF personnel are in Saudi now as advisors, but hey we don't actually press the buttons.

Everyone knows that only psychiatrists are actual doctors ^_^

Anyway, so claim psychiatrists; though they do have a point, regarding that they are at least aware of medicines to be used. Afaik in many cases it is either far easier, or just the only possible solution, to use drugs as part (major or minor) of the treatment.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors with the ability and understanding to prescribe medicine. Psychologists, for the most part, are not.

Other than having unpopular opinions, what sort of behavior do you mean?
For postulating stupid, illogical, and ridiculous opinions. But we've already been there at length. Let's not go there again.

For postulating stupid, illogical, and ridiculous opinions. But we've already been there at length. Let's not go there again.
I mean, people hold all kinds of dumb opinions. I'm pretty sure there are Flat Earthers in your field, why is Peterson worth singling out?

Psychiatrists are medical doctors with the ability and understanding to prescribe medicine. Psychologists, for the most part, are not.

Well, yes, i have to assume so, given that is what 'psychiatrist' means; they have to study medicine tied to their field, ie would know what the main drugs do and have an idea as to why, and would also be aware of studies about each drug and when it should be used. To rely solely on speaking with the patient can lead to a deadend, and afaik (from medical bibliography) various cases do react extremely well to just medicines, under some conditions. The same patients would be highly unlikely to react to a treatment not making use of medicines.

In theory, although in my experience the knowledge of a psychiatrist hasn't been any different than the knowledge of an average gen/nurse practitioner when it comes to medication.

Top Bottom