[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Even with farms, tundra tiles are still not very good. At least you get strategic resources twice as quickly from cold tiles. Canada should be able to aggressively place small cities along the poles to get lots of resources, and usually loyalty issues are smaller in those unsettled areas. Plus, with the protection from Surprise Wars, those small colonies should generally be pretty safe. So, that's actually a pretty interesting bonus.

Why are still not very good? For me the very large negative about tundra is there is no food so your city can't grow, you need a trade route for it to grow. Tundra Farms solves this problem.

So so boring and stereotypical. I wasn't excited for another post-colonial civ, but I do love Canada and thought they could go a really interesting route with this - fur trading, multiculturalism, exploration, but instead its the most stereotypical drivel possible. Also, no one lives/farms on tundra - even in Canada! 80% of Canadians live within like 100 miles of the border!

Hmm. I'm disappointed on two levels:

1) I expected Sweden! I keep looking for patterns in the reveal order and not finding any that sticks. A minor point but I like being right so it's frustrating to me :p
2) It's a stereotypical hodgepodge. It feels like they didn't really want to add Canada to the game, but someone told them they should, so they went for the most cliché options as uniques in protest. I do like the use of tundra for the farms but I feel that they could have made a lot more of this. The ice hockey rink and the mountie just feel cheaply done, a bit like the Scotland golf course UI. I don't mind the mountie so much (the national park ability is cool at least, though the bonus for being next to one is situational in the extreme) but a grand railway hotel UB or UI would have been so much cooler than the ice hockey rink. Although I support modern nations with the profile of Canada being included in Civ, if this is what we end up with I'm not sure it's worth it.

Sigh. I should (and ultimately will) reserve final judgement until I see more of them, but at the moment this just feels a bit like a missed opportunity. Definitely the last of the GS Civs I will be trying, so far (and I do hope the remaining 5 + Eleanor are more interesting).

Step 1: Play as Canada
Step 2: Make all your opponents Persia
Step 3: Profit

The World Congress btw looks good, but "Diplomatic Victory Points"? Sounds out of place after everything in the WC.

The best part about the design is that the diplomatic favours bonus is tied to actively being engaged in emergencies (and competitions - guess we'll learn more about those soon). You need to play the game to get them, and engage with the AI. That part's good. Also extra diplomatic favours for tourism, so there's a reason to go for tourism with Canada even if you're not going for a culture victory. Add this one to the list of "things that should be a base feature not a civ unique".

Some bonus to strategic resources was kind of expected. Interesting that they were called "consumable resources" - wonder if that means other resources besides the current "strategic" resources? Bonus is limited to resources on snow and tundra, so encouraging you to stay polar.

The Hockey Rink UI helps make snow and tundra tiles useable. It's otherwise lame and non-sensical.

The Mountie UU features prominent rifles. These were the guys who famously policed without guns. Bit of a disconnect there for me. Their abilities seem to those of Park Rangers. I wonder if they were a U.S. Park Ranger concept that the dev team wasn't able to fit in, and re-skinned for Mounties instead?

The unique play style aspect is the being unable to declare surprise wars, attack City states, or to have war declared on you. A lot of people (myself included) already avoid declaring war on the AI, so that's not really a change for us. The AI is already too passive, and not having to worry about having a surprise war declared on you makes it even easier to not worry about the AI. I can see this latter aspect appealing to some types of players, though.

Overall, it's pretty much my worst fears about what the dev team might do with Canada. Ignore a long and interesting history with a lot of possible fun game play mechanics, and instead make a snow civ that has hockey rinks and Mounties with non-sensical game play bonuses.

Sad now. :sad:

On one hand, it's irritatingly stereotypical. Like, demonstrative of a total lack of research.

On the other hand, it does appear fun to play.

Tundra Scots is right.

Sigh.

A thing is the thing that it is.

Canada here is very close to parody. I’m sort of okay with that. I’d be more okay with it if I could choose to exclude Canada from my games, because frankly I’m not always in the mood for parody. But it’s fine. This still seems to me to basically be what you’d get if you asked for Canada. It’s well designed in terms of gameplay, well executed (of course), and hits all the notes.

I’m not sure saying FXSs approach here is somehow predictable really adds anything. If you’re going to have Canada in a game about taking ancient peoples from mud huts to the stars... then this is what you get people. This is how you get ants.

On the other hand. Yeah, bit of a pity they didn’t try something deeper. More historical. The diplomacy stuff seems very shallow - you just get more diplomacy doing the stuff everyone else does, plus free diplomacy from tourism. Not clear to me it really let’s you play the diplomatic game in a more interesting way.

Maybe something more subtle would have been disappointing in a different way - maybe you’d actually be sorry not to have Mounties and Maple Syrup and all that. Maybe this is actually the more bold approach - just lean into it. But, something more nuanced might have been cool too.

Hmm. In other news. I look forward to threads about people trying to win domination victories as Canada, and reddit posts saying “I hear you guys like Petra Yields ... here are my tundra yields dudes”.

Canada here is very close to parody. I’m sort of okay with that. I’d be more okay with it if I could choose to exclude Canada from my games, because frankly I’m not always in the mood for parody. But it’s fine. This still seems to me to basically be what you’d get if you asked for Canada. It’s well designed in terms of gameplay, well executed (of course), and hits all the notes.

The inability to exclude civs is one of the more disappointing aspects of the game setup. I think it can be done by mod, but I'm not sure.

I think I can confidently say that this is definitely the most stereotypical civ we've ever seen. From using Canada's official anthem for its theme (unheard of in Civ VI), to having a stereotypical UU and UI, not to mention the tundra-based ability for the 500 Canadians who actually live in the tundra. Not even gonna touch upon the "peaceful Canada" nonsense.

France is way more stereotypical than Canada, actually. "zomg crafty evil french hogging all the culture" like that's not even how France *functioned*, at all. Or Spain being built around the Inquisition. OR GILGABRO???

I must say though, I find Canada's bonuses to just be so impressively lame to the point it circles back to downright hilarious. TUNDRA FARMS <3 NO SUPRISE WARS <3 MOUNTIES THAT MAKE NATIONAL PARKS <3 BEING BASED AROUND EMERGENCIES <3 Like... about half of these are barely even count as bonuses. <33333 The only outright good thing about them is the Ice Hockey Rink, which is a Golf Course on freakin' acid and that's probably going to yield them several sneaky culture victories, but otherwise.

I think Canada could be quite powerful if you land a start near a lot tundra, especially once we know more about the strategic resources change

France is way more stereotypical than Canada, actually. "zomg crafty evil french hogging all the culture" like that's not even how France *functioned*, at all.

So true... The weirdest is that they made France a mid-game wonder hog, but then put less French wonders in the game than Russia, or England!

So, Canada worst civ ever since you can't declare surprise wars in the ancient era?

Makes them 5 turns automatically slower but, if you make contact fast enough and decide what your first target is, you could start the denouncement right off the bat.

This is not a civ for warmongering. This is a turtle civ, hands down. From a multiplayer perspective, dudes will just denounce you the second they make contact so they can get their formal war going shortly.

I do not really like that Mountie combat bonus. Seems super lame to me. I don't think the entire civ design is lame, but that UU combat bonus is awful. Canada could have been alot more intriguing and interesting if they had gotten something like a flat combat bonus to all units inside their own territory or something like that. A weaker version of Defender of the Faith would have made them a sneaky OP civ.

Conservation is a late civic tech. Well, semi-late since they obviously want to stretch the game out now. Canada does not have good enough early game bonuses in my opinion. This is a game of snowball. Good civs have strong bonuses or strong UUs very early to early-mid game. You could have games be over before conservation even hits!

I give this civ a T3 rank. Might be T4 once all the other new leaders are out and the current ones are buffed.

If diplomacy victory is strong in multiplayer, I might have to eat those words.

Top Bottom