1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

But we've seen it on the map in some screenshots. And it would make a lot of sense as an improvement. I wouldn't rule out that the icon is wrong.

TahamiTsunami and CPWimmer like this.
  2. Phrozen

Phrozen King

For the UU I would of went with a WWI style infantry unit. Apparently, the Canadian divisions had a pretty fearsome reputation amongst the Germans.

Tiger Genocide and TahamiTsunami like this.
  3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Yeah, that's why I remembered that temple at all.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  4. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

If we have ski resort improvement, can we expect a wonder that doubles its tourism bonus? :rolleyes:

5. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Why are still not very good? For me the very large negative about tundra is there is no food so your city can't grow, you need a trade route for it to grow. Tundra Farms solves this problem.

TahamiTsunami and Jkchart like this.
  6. jgoasrec

jgoasrec Chieftain

Thank you for pointing this out to people complaining about stereotyping.

Stilgar08 and AvianBritish like this.
  7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

So so boring and stereotypical. I wasn't excited for another post-colonial civ, but I do love Canada and thought they could go a really interesting route with this - fur trading, multiculturalism, exploration, but instead its the most stereotypical drivel possible. Also, no one lives/farms on tundra - even in Canada! 80% of Canadians live within like 100 miles of the border!

Franks, Guandao, CPWimmer and 5 others like this.
  8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Hmm. I'm disappointed on two levels:

1) I expected Sweden! I keep looking for patterns in the reveal order and not finding any that sticks. A minor point but I like being right so it's frustrating to me :p
    2) It's a stereotypical hodgepodge. It feels like they didn't really want to add Canada to the game, but someone told them they should, so they went for the most cliché options as uniques in protest. I do like the use of tundra for the farms but I feel that they could have made a lot more of this. The ice hockey rink and the mountie just feel cheaply done, a bit like the Scotland golf course UI. I don't mind the mountie so much (the national park ability is cool at least, though the bonus for being next to one is situational in the extreme) but a grand railway hotel UB or UI would have been so much cooler than the ice hockey rink. Although I support modern nations with the profile of Canada being included in Civ, if this is what we end up with I'm not sure it's worth it.

Sigh. I should (and ultimately will) reserve final judgement until I see more of them, but at the moment this just feels a bit like a missed opportunity. Definitely the last of the GS Civs I will be trying, so far (and I do hope the remaining 5 + Eleanor are more interesting).

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Step 1: Play as Canada
    Step 2: Make all your opponents Persia
    Step 3: Profit

10. Equilin

Equilin Prince

The World Congress btw looks good, but "Diplomatic Victory Points"? Sounds out of place after everything in the WC.

Stringer1313 likes this.
  11. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Sigh.

A thing is the thing that it is.

Canada here is very close to parody. I’m sort of okay with that. I’d be more okay with it if I could choose to exclude Canada from my games, because frankly I’m not always in the mood for parody. But it’s fine. This still seems to me to basically be what you’d get if you asked for Canada. It’s well designed in terms of gameplay, well executed (of course), and hits all the notes.

I’m not sure saying FXSs approach here is somehow predictable really adds anything. If you’re going to have Canada in a game about taking ancient peoples from mud huts to the stars... then this is what you get people. This is how you get ants.

On the other hand. Yeah, bit of a pity they didn’t try something deeper. More historical. The diplomacy stuff seems very shallow - you just get more diplomacy doing the stuff everyone else does, plus free diplomacy from tourism. Not clear to me it really let’s you play the diplomatic game in a more interesting way.

Maybe something more subtle would have been disappointing in a different way - maybe you’d actually be sorry not to have Mounties and Maple Syrup and all that. Maybe this is actually the more bold approach - just lean into it. But, something more nuanced might have been cool too.

Hmm. In other news. I look forward to threads about people trying to win domination victories as Canada, and reddit posts saying “I hear you guys like Petra Yields ... here are my tundra yields dudes”.

12. humble serf

humble serf Chieftain

To be fair, the first ever international cricket match was played between Canada and the USA...

TahamiTsunami and agonistes like this.
  13. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

The inability to exclude civs is one of the more disappointing aspects of the game setup. I think it can be done by mod, but I'm not sure.

14. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

Somewhere in the thread mention a new wonder, it might be the Oosterscheldekering (deltaworks)

It has the same two metal pins on it and it is a wall

15. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

France is way more stereotypical than Canada, actually. "zomg crafty evil french hogging all the culture" like that's not even how France *functioned*, at all. Or Spain being built around the Inquisition. OR GILGABRO???

I must say though, I find Canada's bonuses to just be so impressively lame to the point it circles back to downright hilarious. TUNDRA FARMS <3 NO SUPRISE WARS <3 MOUNTIES THAT MAKE NATIONAL PARKS <3 BEING BASED AROUND EMERGENCIES <3 Like... about half of these are barely even count as bonuses. <33333 The only outright good thing about them is the Ice Hockey Rink, which is a Golf Course on freakin' acid and that's probably going to yield them several sneaky culture victories, but otherwise.

16. roulev

roulev Chieftain

Tundra, really? I lived in Canada all my life and never went even close to tundra. Very stereotypical...

Franks, conorbebe, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  17. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

I think Canada could be quite powerful if you land a start near a lot tundra, especially once we know more about the strategic resources change

King Rad, TahamiTsunami and Hawke9 like this.
  18. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

So true... The weirdest is that they made France a mid-game wonder hog, but then put less French wonders in the game than Russia, or England!

19. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Makes them 5 turns automatically slower but, if you make contact fast enough and decide what your first target is, you could start the denouncement right off the bat.

This is not a civ for warmongering. This is a turtle civ, hands down. From a multiplayer perspective, dudes will just denounce you the second they make contact so they can get their formal war going shortly.

I do not really like that Mountie combat bonus. Seems super lame to me. I don't think the entire civ design is lame, but that UU combat bonus is awful. Canada could have been alot more intriguing and interesting if they had gotten something like a flat combat bonus to all units inside their own territory or something like that. A weaker version of Defender of the Faith would have made them a sneaky OP civ.

Conservation is a late civic tech. Well, semi-late since they obviously want to stretch the game out now. Canada does not have good enough early game bonuses in my opinion. This is a game of snowball. Good civs have strong bonuses or strong UUs very early to early-mid game. You could have games be over before conservation even hits!

I give this civ a T3 rank. Might be T4 once all the other new leaders are out and the current ones are buffed.

If diplomacy victory is strong in multiplayer, I might have to eat those words.

20. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

While not tundra, I think the Canadian Shield is best depicted as tundra in-game. What else could simulate a bunch of trees on rocks other than tundra as far as yields go?

TahamiTsunami and bite like this.