Which state is worth overlooking in that map? Darwin? :p

New South Wales is the state which hasn't yet passed assisted dying laws.

The Northern Territory passed it in the mid 1990s, but the federal government then intervened and created a law that amended the self government acts to say the Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory cannot make such laws. Those prohibitions still exist despite the five states which have legalised it.

They are sort of bringing down the mood in church.

With the suffering. All that.

New South Wales is the state which hasn't yet passed assisted dying laws.

The Northern Territory passed it in the mid 1990s, but the federal government then intervened and created a law that amended the self government acts to say the Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory cannot make such laws. Those prohibitions still exist despite the five states which have legalised it.

Update on this. Every Australian state now has assisted dying laws with NSW passing theirs. We are still waiting for the federal parliament to legislate returning the power to make assisted dying laws (or not) to the two Australian territories, so for now, terminally ill people here in my city continue to have less end of life options than those in the town of Queanbeyan 15 km away from here. The bill has passed the lower house and is currently awaiting a Senate vote.

RCMP called to investigate multiple cases of veterans being offered medically assisted death​

Four — perhaps even five — Canadian military veterans were given the option of medically-assisted death (MAID) by a now-suspended Veterans Affairs Canada caseworker, the country's veterans minister told a House of Commons committee late Thursday.

bbtrudeau loves a good protest, except when its in his own country, where protests over policy are "concerning".

i feel sympathy for the canadians who tried to vote out this trainwreck and replace it with someone to whom its charter is more than a theoretical piece of paper to reference when convenient. unfortunately, my own government/courts do the same thing, with similarly selective memories

bbtrudeau loves a good protest, except when its in his own country, where protests over policy are "concerning".

i feel sympathy for the canadians who tried to vote out this trainwreck and replace it with someone to whom its charter is more than a theoretical piece of paper to reference when convenient. unfortunately, my own government/courts do the same thing, with similarly selective memories

In what way is this relevant to this thread?

In what way is this relevant to this thread?
wooops, missed that it's canadian supreme court who decided the charter doesn't count this time

not a first time for canadian courts either though, given recent memory, doesn't seem to be much difference. but technically this is on them, not bbtrudeau

wooops, missed that it's canadian supreme court who decided the charter doesn't count this time

not a first time for canadian courts either though, given recent memory, doesn't seem to be much difference. but technically this is on them, not bbtrudeau
Thread still has nothing to do with protests, my dude.

Disabled people in Canada are paid half of the federally recognized minimum of survivable income. They are not permitted to save money. They are not permitted to try and earn a survivable income; if they go over a low figure, they are punished in response by having their next month's disability cheque reduced by an equal amount. They are not allowed to marry without losing their benefits. They are hounded by auditors and government panels constantly to prove, and re-prove, that they are incapable of gainful employment and limited in daily life. They are not provided access to supplements and effective mobility aids. Many medications are not covered by disability insurance. They are not provided safe and secure housing—for example, disabled housing in Vancouver is a series of hotel-style rooms with a shared bathroom and kitchen per floor, in the Downtown Eastside where all drug users and the mentally ill are disposed of by the state. These rooms don't pass building inspections, you are constantly under threat by people in fentanyl withdrawal, and there's usually always a leak or bedbug infestation to contend with.

Additionally: Aside from CPP-D (which is only available if you've worked long enough and also counts against any provincial support), the only real federal support is the Disability Tax Credit. This is next to useless because while the criteria means you need to be practically bedbound to get it, it's a nonrefundable credit. (Hint: Disability benefits are low enough to not be taxed.) While it does provide access to the RDSP (registered disability savings plan), that's only useful if you have any money to save. Also, the cost of filling out the DTC forms often isn't covered by provincial insurance plans, meaning disabled people need to pay out of pocket for a doctor to fill out a form for a useless tax credit.

Also, the Americans with Disabilities act? Nothing like that here. The Accessible Canada Act only applies to federally regulated organizations and won't even be enforced for another 20 years.

Thought this was hilarious
What did you think was hilarious? :huh:

There is nothing hilarious about the way the governments in this country treat the disabled and poor.

What did you think was hilarious? :huh:

There is nothing hilarious about the way the governments in this country treat the disabled and poor.

The eugenics/social murder, clearly. Or the fact that the government was so keen to push this through just as the long-term effects of COVID-19 were starting to be known. But nah, there's no economic motive for expanding access to medically-assisted suicide to people deemed economically unproductive. (Oh, and the article I linked was before track 2, for people not actively dying, was implemented.)

Oh, sorry...it was this

Attachments

• 20221231_063135.jpg
    20221231_063135.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 35
Heh!

It's a "the more things change" thing.

The eugenics/social murder, clearly. Or the fact that the government was so keen to push this through just as the long-term effects of COVID-19 were starting to be known. But nah, there's no economic motive for expanding access to medically-assisted suicide to people deemed economically unproductive. (Oh, and the article I linked was before track 2, for people not actively dying, was implemented.)
Economically unproductive... Let's see how many other professions and jobs vanish if we do. It's much more than most people think. FFS, one if my home care people once told me she was studying for the Canadian citizenship exam and was confused about something. So I explained it to her so it was easier to understand, she thanked me, and I hope she passed. If she did, I will have helped, in a small way, to create another Canadian taxpayer and voter.

Top Bottom