[GS] Canada Livestream Discussion

I don't remember on what page it was pointed out... One turn after the stream ended, the Maori's long island flooded completely.

Would navel units be able to traverse those flooded tiles now? I'd kinda hope so since coastal powers (whom are getting flooded) could use their larger navy to now reach more inland empires that where protected before.

I think Indonesia just keeps getting better and better with their un-floodable UI and more uses for faith. Settling 1 tile islands with enough coastal resources was already viable, so they may not care too much if the rest of the world floods as their setup on stilts. However... it would only take one good hurricane...

Perhaps America's film studio got a nerf with rock bands. Their UB only affects tourism from that particular city, so tourism generated by touring rock bands wouldn't get amplified.

The Khmer look to be shaping up nicely in GS with more useful aqueducts (avert climate disaster and) to increase population that can swing loyalty more with world congress resolutions and increased use of faith (rock bands).

Norway... keeps looking worse the more I see of GS. If they don't pull something off with their early navy, they look to be flooded out end game or beat up in the world congress for their early game raids. They could even be the one to unleash the world congress while out raiding which could ultimately be their undoing.

I'm kinda curious if Shaka's UD (Ikanda) will get buffed to grant additional stockpile space because of the change to strategic resources.

Overall, Canada looked "ok" but I'm not sure till I get my hands on them. I would have liked to know when the hockey rink unlocks, but I think it's within the civic tree.

For a civ that wants tundra strategic resources to make those locations more viable ( tundra farms aren't exactly game changing), they sure didn't get many sources to +100% extract. I only saw 1 niter on tundra in the game-play video which makes the most important part of "The Last Best West" unfortunate.

Last edited:
I don't remember on what page it was pointed out... One turn after the stream ended, the Maori's long island flooded completely.

Would navel units now be able to traverse those flooded tiles now? I'd kinda hope so since coastal powers (whom are getting flooded) could use their larger navy to now reach more inland empires that where protected before.

Don't be fooled by fancy map graphics (specially those under the fog map of war). (BTW, is there any way to get striketrough?)

Tiles still remain land tiles. Compare as well to how river flood was showcased in previous streams. When the fog is revealed they Will be shown as wet mud. Not very much option to put your navy through that.

Players have the option to build flood barriers to protect and repair flooded tiles. Not clear if naval units can traverse these tiles while they are flooded, but I'd guess no, the flooding doesn't seem high enough graphically. However if players don't react and build flood barriers quickly enough the affected tiles becomes submerged and are not recoverable. I'd guess naval units can traverse these tiles then.

How I view this is that Great Musicians are for classical music while rock bands are for popular music

It would actually make more sense for classical composers to be bought by faith since a lot of them were commissioned by the church

, Canada will NOT be a tundra civ

I often place tundra cities if I am nearby. I can get it a decent size with sea resources. I only place in tundra if there are fish/crab/whales.

People still make classical music even during the 20th and 21st centuries. Schoenberg, John Cage, Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt, John Adams

Have to give a shout out to Aaron Copeland here. And John Williams. Both the composer and guitarist.

As someone who loves pop music, I hope someone would make a mod soon in which they include "pop star" as well. Maybe even have a "world song contest"

Well most pop music is based off of rock or rock and roll. Though increasingly hip hop or r and b based. Or just a mix of all 3. I wondered why they didn't go with him hop/rap bands but that may be too recent.

And to answer an above question, the reason why they didn't go with modern rock star names is for copyright reasons. It's why the classical list doesn't go further as well. This is the best solution to that problem.

Funny thing about buying rock stars with faith is I often name my religion after my favorite band and put ism at the end. :)

New Agendas added

6-8 new agendas, some of them late-game. Great White Fleet is about having a giant navy.

It sounds like he's saying AIs get a second hidden agenda at Nationalism?

Called it!! Waaaaay back - that air power should only be an agenda in the late game. Whoop whoop! :band:
Thank goodness for that.

Why is the category of GP that always runs out first still in the middle! Don't they know how many of us are OCD!? :hammer2:

I'm liking the rock bands. I'm planning to name my rock band after people from my Spotify playlists/popular music

I hope you can name them whatever you want. Unlike the units *grumble*

i will be slightly dissapointed if nuclear bombs used in wars do not contribute to the global climate.

Since they decided to go in this direction, they gotta do it right for immersion reasons. I'm sure someone could even make a Nuclear Winter mod after a while.

Well.... In that case every volcano that erupts should put out enough CO2 to sink the entire map :mischief:

(Bold emphasis in quote added by me).

I cant belive Free cities still attack you like barbarians , even you didnt have anything with them .... WHY not fix this

So you can conquer them and raze them, and no one is annoyed at you :D

Japan isn't in the game. Do the Maori only have one river name?

No :nono: :p

Like Waikato, most Maori rivers start with "wai" which means... water.

In Civ games industrialisation begins far earlier than it did in reality. Even on the lowest difficulties you'll hit it well before the mid-19th Century. It's perfectly reasonable for global warming impacts to manifest much earlier as well.

1800 is generally a good estimate for the start of the Industrial Age.
The wiki article shows estimates from 1760 to 1840
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution

I just LOVE the idea of Rock Band... Just love the silliness of it

Rock bands in the 1800s . Sounds so stupid to me, too. They need to fix it.

Even Black Sabbath has a song called After Forever. Check out the lyrics. Of course there's the possibility that they weren't serious with those lyrics, but Geezer was Catholic.

This mechanic doesn't bother me too much. Plus you can get faith from Earth goddess as well. So those hippies will contribute to the music scene.

For your next assignment, please explain why the Naturalist is purchased with faith. Or Charles Darwin.

They've long since abandoned any necessary thematic connection between faith and religion.

Anyone know where this population is coming from?

I'm sorry if this is redundant. I ran a search for the word "population" and nothing related to the thread came up. As to whether the system just hasn't updated or whether this is a new question, I don't know.
PS, I am not a food/population expert but doesn't this seem like a bit (well actually allot) more than you might expect?

Liang allows the creation of fisheries that increase food in water tiles. Just one guess.

Well most pop music is based off of rock or rock and roll. Though increasingly hip hop or r and b based. Or just a mix of all 3. I wondered why they didn't go with him hop/rap bands but that may be too recent.

I have a general bugbear with the use of 'rock' to describe popular music per se - rock has been all but dead in popular music for at least a decade.

Then again I never quite reconciled myself to the fact that 'rock and roll' is widely used as a synonym for rock generically, rather than the specific genre that characterised the '50s and '60s.
[/QUOTE]

1800 is generally a good estimate for the start of the Industrial Age.
The wiki article shows estimates from 1760 to 1840
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution

Sure, but you don't substantially increase coal emissions just by shoving people in a room to accelerate textile production. Industrial-scale coal burning for factories, steamships and railroads started towards the middle of the 19th Century. Either way, in Civ games this process will begin substantially earlier so I don't see any issue with having low-level coastal flooding (where tiles are recoverable) start in the late 19th Century - that may actually be rather slow.

I have a general bugbear with the use of 'rock' to describe popular music per se - rock has been all but dead in popular music for at least a decade.

Then again I never quite reconciled myself to the fact that 'rock and roll' is widely used as a synonym for rock generically, rather than the specific genre that characterised the '50s and '60s.
As someone for whose job it is of great importance to be precise when talking about musical genres, I second that. The terminology is actually good enough to be used in a correct way, but impossible to pursue in a general public against mainstream usage.

Just call the unit „Band“ or even better „Musical Act“. Not as cool as „Rock Band“, but not limited to a very short timeframe of basically 3 generations (not that Bands have a that much longer timeframe, maybe twice that, but they are at least stylistically slightly more universal).

Last edited:
I often place tundra cities if I am nearby. I can get it a decent size with sea resources. I only place in tundra if there are fish/crab/whales.

Ed specifically said that Canada was designed to take advantage of under used terrain and they have failed to achieve this with the current bonuses. Not having a single tundra farm shows that this ability is just too weak on its own and it does not provide much incentive early tundra settling. To make the tundra farms somewhat appealing you need to invest a large amount of culture/sci to unlock the civics and technologies required to boost the yields. On top of that the ice rink and Mountie are mid to late game abilities so you can delay the early game tundra settle if there are better non-tundra settles. Right now every civ will move into the tundra if there is sufficient resources to make a small city viable so Canada is not unique in any way. I have not forgot about double extraction for strategics but people settles in tundra for strategics fairly often so while this is a good bonus Canada needs more for when there are no strategics.

Since Canada is a late game civ adding some sort of tundra bonuses to encourage more early game tundra development would go a long way to making Canada unique and achieving their goal of having Canada utilize the tundra more. One idea I had was that Canada could receive a flat +1 food modifier for tundra tiles within the city limits. In the early game this will change an improved tundra hill from a 1/2 (food/production) to a 2/2 tile which is a decent tile to work. Farms would become 3/0 but they would be worth while to construct and work. To add a bit of flavor to the tundra farm you could add either +1 gold or +1 culture to give a bit more incentive to build them even though they lack production. I like the idea of adding +1 culture because I love culture but that may be too strong. +1 gold would also be very useful.

People still make classical music even during the 20th and 21st centuries. Schoenberg, John Cage, Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt, John Adams (whose compositions were featured in Civ4)... All composers whose work is considered as classical, and they all lived or were born during the modern and atomic eras.

Rock bands in the 1800s . Sounds so stupid to me, too. They need to fix it.

So one is saying it's stupid to start rock bands in game 150 years before they appear in RL, and the other says it's ok to start great musicians 300-400 years after they appeared (probably more, but let's stick to famous classical composers...)

Civ6 is a game where suspension of disbelief has to be exerted a little ! Learn to live with it !!!

As someone for whose job it is of great importance to be precise when talking about musical genres, I second that. The terminology is actually good enough to be used in a correct way, but impossible to pursue in a general public against mainstream usage.

Just call the unit „Band“ or even better „Musical Act“. Not as cool as „Rock Band“, but not limited to a very short timeframe of basically 3 generations (not that Bands have a that much longer timeframe, maybe twice that, but they are at least stylistically slightly more universal).
If the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame can expand their definition as crazy far as it has, I'm willing to give a game developer a little slack too.

If the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame can expand their definition as crazy far as it has, I'm willing to give a game developer a little slack too.
Sure, Firaxis isn‘t the problem here. Nonetheless they could do better.
There is no excuse for „professionals“ like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Rolling Stone Magazine though, which are very much dinosaurs of popular music that failed to go with the time decades ago.

Sure, Firaxis isn‘t the problem here. Nonetheless they could do better.
There is no excuse for „professionals“ like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Rolling Stone Magazine though, which are very much dinosaurs of popular music that failed to go with the time decades ago.
As far as the HoF goes, well it's a tourism spot and they need to add acts every year so people will come and spend money. Every year I get into arguments about how no, your favorite Electronica artist should NOT be in the RRHoF (nor should half of the real entries) just like Babe Ruth shouldn't be in the Tennis Hall of Fame.

I am hoping to build Cleveland USA as my Rock and Roll "Holy Site" though. There should be a district for that. Alan Freed will be the GP (or maybe just a zealous missionary).

For your next assignment, please explain why the Naturalist is purchased with faith. Or Charles Darwin.

They've long since abandoned any necessary thematic connection between faith and religion.

I see Faith as "reverence" or "spirit" rather than something strictly religious.

Think of the Japanese Shinto and how it ties to reverence to nature... then it's easier to see the connection to naturalists.

have a general bugbear with the use of 'rock' to describe popular music per se - rock has been all but dead in popular music for at least a decade

Well I consider acts like Taylor Swift and Maroon 5 to be pop with rock roots. A lot of pop groups still use rock type beats, though increasingly they are going towards hip hop/r &b/ soul beats.

Some of the highest ticket sellers are still rock bands. Though many of them are of retirement age. :lol:

Top Bottom