1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Livestream Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Did she actually reminded him to NOT show the civilopedia or was just trolling? Because we didn’t see civilopedia, did we? Could that mean that they did some improvements but weren’t wiling to show them yet?

2. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Was it even Carl in this livestream? Didn't they call the player Albert or so? She also said she hopes that Carl is watching.^^

3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I'd argue that building farms was a basic action for Civ 1 through 5. In Civ 6, we do it out of habit.

Other than the farm that gets you the Irrigation boost, strictly on the rules of Civ 6 as of R&F, I doubt there's ever a situation in which a farm is the optimal use for a Builder charge. Not just on tundra terrain, on any terrain.

Now of course, it doesn't mean you don't want farms for other reasons because they're fun or you like to grow big cities or any of those things. I'm not saying you shouldn't build farms in your game. I'm simply opining that the game economics are such that every farm you build slows down your victory time.

Also, I sincerely wish it were different. And maybe it will be when we see all of the GS rule changes.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    SammyKhalifa likes this.
  4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, that's owed to the whole "big cities aren't very good" issue right now.

5. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Really? Why is the game like that? Does it have to be like that? Isn't that stupid?

6. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

One other thing I hope they consider doing with the Culture Victory is expanding the range of Theming Bonuses you can get from Great Works-like we had back in Civilization V.

Likewise, even if they don't have the "touring" ability they had back in Civ5, it would be great to see Great Musicians have an alternate function. Same with Great Artists and Writers. Maybe GA's can be sacrificed for a one off boost towards a GA or be used to Culture Bomb, whilst GW's might spark an Inspiration or be useable as a Loyalty Bomb.

Just a thought.

Stringer1313 likes this.
  7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Ed was talking about nerfing the Indie Rock promotion.

NOOOO! Keep it just like it is. Only increase the likelihood that the band will break up. Such a subversive group that could overthrow a city is probably pretty volatile and full of personnel conflicts.

Also, rename it Punk Rock.

Kimiimaro, Zaarin, nzcamel and 11 others like this.
  8. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

It wasn't Carl, it was someone else.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Sarah told me on Twitter before the stream that Carl wasn't driving (because they needed a more peaceful demonstration). And they referred to the driver as Albert.

Kimiimaro and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I agree. I always prefer multiple uses for game elements, and miss the Civ 5 options. How about:

Great Writer: create a free Library that has +2 culture in addition to it's normal yields
    Great Artist: create a free Monument that provides double the normal culture and +2 Amenities
    Great Musician: create a free Rock Band that starts with an extra promotion

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I thought Albert did a great job.

I severely doubt, however, that spamming railroads everywhere is something you'll want to do in game. If their only impact is to bring land trade routes up to equal gold yield with sea trade routes, you'll presumably have relatively few actual uses for railroads. Showing them off, though, was good marketing. It'll remind players of the early Civ games when you hit the Industrial age and excitedly started laying railroads everywhere for huge production boosts.

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, I'll certainly want to run one the main length of my civ because I'm impatient moving guys, then maybe to a few key hubs. What did he say, though, movement was was like 1/8 of a movement point or something.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Yes, if you've got a big land empire you'll want some for moving units quickly, but given they use coal theres a good reason not to go overboard with them.

14. ZimZum514

ZimZum514 Chieftain

I'm glad to see some more lenses, but yes this mod has been a must have for me.

15. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

true, farms are usually the last thing I build to fill in space if I don't have an appropriate UI

16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Nice first play.

upload_2018-12-14_15-2-33.png
    So highly promoted spies can get you better combat values... another French buff (they get a free promo, so that early extra spy gives nice benefits indeed. Stregthens France up to +9 )

Here both bands play at the same location for the same tourism with vastlky difference chances, maybe its their promotion that makes the diff.
    upload_2018-12-14_15-5-29.png

So all Tier 3 buildings produce the same as a tier 1 until powered then that is tripled makes more sense to me than 50% to 150%. The upper level of tier 3 seems to have been increased though (guess as benefit)
    upload_2018-12-14_15-6-38.png

Not very useful as compared to say Neutralising Liang, or killing envoys... If it qas 75% rather than 25% is would make sense but thats a lot of spy investment and turns though for a 25% chance.
    upload_2018-12-14_15-8-46.png

... So england gets more coal faster to pollute the air faster and cause their RNDY to go under water faster? - Yeah Ed, lets nerf coastal civs some more.

agonistes and nzcamel like this.
  17. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

They also give .25 movement per tile, so they are the fastest route now.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  18. Eagle Pursuit

I'm just afraid Breach Dam will become the new Recruit Partisans for the AI.

Cooleatack, Zaarin, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  19. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I HATE the AI's use of that action.

I also spent a good time writing a suggestion post about it in the ideas and suggestions, which I HOPE FXS goes and reads :p

20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I think that's a positive all round.

I wondered about that during the livestream. I couldn't tell if the second (and third) band had a signicantly worse chance of success because (a) the first band had a promotion that boosted it's chances, or (b) if there was a 25% penalty for a band playing a venue too soon after another band played there.

Yes. It looks like Tier 3 buildings have gone from +4 in R&F to either +2 (unpowered) or +6 (powered). The shape of your empire might become even more important in GS. A round empire seems much more likely to get a positive return on investment from Tier 3 buildings and an electrical grid.

Flooding can be stopped with the Flood Barrier building, so I expect coastal civs like England will be okay. Russia and Canada, on the other hand, will just need to suck up the random destruction of buildings and improvements from Blizzards, assuming they have more than one city and Liang can't be everywhere.