Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Wyz_sub10, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

That makes two of us. :) Take a look at the current wonders and see what you think the Confed Bridge requires. Engineering is a must, but something else later on in the game as well.

As a bonus, maybe commerce? Small culture bonus?

2. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

for the great people, they are just name list, you can add as many as you want, it won't change anything

3. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

well i havent tested it in game yet, but i think i found the prefect shade for the uniform for the canadian corps skin :)
    i should be putting in serveral hours tomorrow, i might even have something worth posting (at the very least, i'll have a screenshot)

4. R-A-N-M-A

R-A-N-M-A Chieftain

IS there any news on a possible update wyz?

5. Wyz_sub10

I have most of the files I need. Once slaxton gets the skin, we're about set. (But give him time - he's doing this for fun, so let's not rush him)

In the next update, I'll add a couple of Wonders.

I also have another mod on the horizon. :) Like the Canada mod, it'll start with reused graphics.

6. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

i just tested something you all might be interested to hear about.... to make a high definition texture, all you have to do is increase the size (ive only tried doubling it, 128x128 to 256x256, but it worked like a charm).

so we're gonna have a high def skin :)
    and to all those who are worried about "my computer has enough trouble running this as it is, a high def skin will kill me" i'll include a normal def one aswell

7. O.H.Dog

O.H.Dog Chieftain

I noticed a lot of people suggesting the Mountie as a UU. I think the RCMP belongs as a national wonder. What it really did for Canada was to supply police service to remote areas and to towns too small to afford their own police. Canada did not have the "wild west" the way the US did partly because of the RCMP.

In Civ3 I added the RCMP wonder which gave a police station in every city (partly because I hated the gross corruption of ICS.) In Civ4 it is a bit difficult to think what effect it should have. Perhaps +1 happiness in all cities.

The challenge with wonders is to keep game balance. Just +1 turns out to be a huge difference. I found that by going for cultural victory.

8. Wyz_sub10

I like this idea.

For national wonders, I'll look into adding the Confed Bridge and the RCMP. Maybe others. :)

9. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

edit: updated and moved picture to later post

so far all i have done is the coat (well, almost done, i still have to add some pockets, and some buttons). im gonna get to work on the pants in a few minutes, the helmet after that, and then the socks. the pants are gonna be lighter then the coat, and the socks will be a little lighter then those. i'll leave the shoes. oh, and im gonna make the helmet a darker shade then the coat, and see about making the band alot thinner.

and just for the record, i am working from an actual picture, problem is its black and white. i did my best to find colour pictures of real uniforms from that era but it was a little hard, so i just did my best. i hope everyone likes what they see :)

10. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I like it alot.

I hope that soldier in the top left doesn't accidentally shoot himself. That would turn into quite a mess. ;)

11. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

lol, he was doing the idle animation, where he pulls out a map.
    oh, lol, on that note, the map used to be the same colour as the coat... well, um, its still the same colour as the coat... so its gone dark green. but theres not much i can do about that, i have no idea what part of the skin is the map (and right now im not willing to do all the testing id need to to figure it out... theres no obvious spot where it could be)

12. Wyz_sub10

Okay - we're almost done! In addition to Bad_ronald's unit flag, the mod now has slaxton's Canada button, and Cybercollector's leaderheads and leaderhead buttons!

Thanks guys!

slaxton seems to be doing awesome with the Canada Corps. That leaves the two wonders I am working on (don't get too excited - they'll be pretty bland in the first cut) and a couple of people to add to the Great Persons list.

After that, I think that'll be pretty much it!

13. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

edit: img in later post

pants are done, im thinking the socks may be fine the way they are, still gotta do the helmet and the additional pockets need to be added to the front/bottom of the coat, not to mention the buttons, but its almost done :)

edit:
    helmets done now too :)
    id finish up on the coat now, but its rather late and i want to get to bed. plus im still not sure about the socks, i may redo them.

so i'll get that done tomorrow, i'll probably try to fix the map they pull out when they're just standing around too.
    my brother has expressed an interest in redoing the face, and seeing as how just about all of the pictures of canadian corps officers i was able to find had mustaches, i think i'll let him (as long as he finishes it tomorrow, well, today... lol, its almost 5am).

oh, and i tried to make the colour band on the helmet smaller but it seems thats not controlled by the skin. too bad, being a UU that band isnt really important

lol, this is the third thing im adding to the end of this post (that i ment to include but almost forgot)
    if you need a skin for the wonders, send me a pm.

14. Airlik

Airlik Chieftain

After playing most of a game with it, the only thing I have against it right now is that playing my own country makes me play much more nicely with the other civs ;) I skipped slavery, and am working for a "peace in our time" type of victory... I think I have to go back to playing someone else next game :D

edit: PS - I need to post the screenshot... not long into the game I came across something I hadn't seen before (so who knows, maybe it's common)... a snow square surrounded with beaver resources. I had to get a screenie of my scout with the flag standing in the middle of them... it was too rich.

15. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

so ive been told that a brown helmet and tan pants would be more historically accurate. disappointing, means its gonna take longer to finish it...

im gonna go see if i can find any more pictures of that era uniforms that are in colour

edit:

ive found the colour im gonna use on the pants, its kinda tan, and the foot wraps (ive been corrected about them, theyarent socks) are gonna have their current colour mixed with the colour im using on the pants.

if anyone has any colour photos of a ww1 era canadian uniform, or knows where to find them online, please let me know, im tryin to be as accurate as i can be, and from what ive been able to find, my colours are way off.

16. Arcys

Arcys Chieftain

17. slaxton

slaxton Chieftain

well i decided to finish the one i had mostly done, release that one, and then just release another version later on

18. Wyz_sub10

Beta 3 posted as a link (my bandwith may not last long, so I'll have to see where to move it if I run out).

- added slaxton's skins for Canada Corps and flag button
    - added Cybercollector's leaderheads and leaderhead buttons
    - added a bit of text in 'Strategies'

To do:

- National Wonders (I'm still learning the files)
    - Great People additions
    - slaxton's skin - version 2
    - custom button for Canada Corps

19. Cybercollector

Cybercollector Chieftain

No problem! It looks great! :goodjob:
    I'd suggest editing your first post, it took me a while to figure out where's the link, since you can't click it. I managed to get it another way:
    www.canadatrack.com\CanadaMod_Beta 3.zip

Glad my leaderheads helped :)

Good job Slaxton and Wyz_sub10!

-CC

P.S.
    For another world wonder, the obvious one, the CN tower.

20. Wyz_sub10

Really? I just tried clicking the link and it work just fine. Hmmm...I'll see if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks again for your work. Interested in doing LH's for my First Peoples mod? (or did I PM you about this already?)