1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Wyz_sub10, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Chronicguy

Chronicguy Chieftain

Thanks for the great work Wyz_sub10 :) i haven't played it much yet... was having the flag troubles and playing without the flag just didn't do it for me. I had tried loading the game with and without the cache cleared... and with it cleared i tried both holding shift while loading and manual clear.. but to no avail. But after playing around with the .dds file i managed to solve my problem by removing the alpha layer and then changing the <bWhiteFlag> from 1 back to 0... and now that it's fixed... i'm in for a long night of Canadian civing :) Thanks again Wyz_sub10

For all of you still having problems with the white flag... if you have the tools to edit the .dds file and remove the alpha layer you might want to try that and see if it works... of course make sure you make a back up copy of the original file before you edit it. And for those of you who do not have the tools to edit the picture, if Wyz_sub10 does not mind.. i can post my edited file for you to try. Of course this fix workes for me... but i don't know if it will fix everyones or anyone elses flag problem.. but it's worth a shot.

2. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

Chronicguy,

Yeah, post the other dds file. A few people seem to be having this problem. I really don't know why it works for some and not for others, but you should post your fix because it would probably help a lot of people.

Thanks for the kind words!

3. Soltras

Soltras Chieftain

Finally the Canadians are represented in Civ! nice work.

I don't know how the XML stuff works at all, but it looks like you have Kamloops listed as a city twice in Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml.

4. Chronicguy

Chronicguy Chieftain

i'll post the dds file when i get home from work... sometime around 6:30 or 7pm pacific time.... not sure how to post files here... but i'm sure i'll figure it out

5. Wattos

Wattos Chieftain

this looks great. and I HAVE JUST GOTTEN CIV 4 AND CANT WAIT TO TRY IT OUT.

6. Chronicguy

Chronicguy Chieftain

:mad: ok... it seems that they don't allow .dds files to be hosted on this site... so i'll have to find someplace to host the file... i'll work on finding somewhere tonight... if anyone has somewhere to host it or knows of somewhere.. please either reply or send me a PM... and for those that really want to try this file and can't wait for me to find host space, just PM me with your e-mail addy and i'll send it to you... it's only 11KB.

7. Wyz_sub10

8. Wyz_sub10

I made a few changes to the city list as I went so I may have done that...(checking)...yup, I did. Good catch.

I'll fix it in the next version.

9. Chronicguy

Chronicguy Chieftain

oh man... i should have thought of that... shows how little my brain works after a week of work :lol: thanks :)

10. Chronicguy

Chronicguy Chieftain

ok... here ya go folks... for those still having the white flag issue.. this copy of canada.dds works for me.. i hope it works for you.

*** make sure you back up the existing file before you overwrite the original file ***

unzip this file into the C:\Documents and Settings\"Your Name"\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\art\interface\TeamColor folder if you have it as an asset... or into the C:\Program files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\Canada(or whatever you named the mod)\Assets\art\Interface\TeamColor folder if you are using the civ as a mod

after you have replaced the file... go find the file named CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml in the C:\Documents and Settings\"Your Name"\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\xml\art or C:\Program files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\Canada(or whatever you named the mod)\Assets\xml\art and open that file with notepad
    ***remember to back this file up before you edit it as well***
    with the CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml file open.. hit Ctrl+F and search for Canada... 3 lines below the now highlighted line you should see this "<bWhiteFlag>1</bWhiteFlag>" .. change the 1 to a 0 then save the file and exit.

after that... try loading the game... i hope it works.. if you have any questions feel free to ask

Happy Canadian civing :D

Attached Files:

11. Feed Monkey

Feed Monkey Chieftain

Thanks for the great mod. Although it's tough now to play as anyone else... going to war against Canada just feels so wrong...

12. Wyz_sub10

Well, I have some tweaks on the First Peoples mod to do, and I have another mod coming soon (should be far less work though), so I may have time to finally look at adding a couple of National Wonders based on Canada.

So....any thoughts?

13. Wyz_sub10

I'm going to try adding 2 national wonders:

- RCMP (to function much like Scotland Yard)
    - CN Tower (to function like Eiffel Tower)

I first need to add these as basic copies just to see how it works and plays. All suggestions welcome.

14. Chronicguy

Chronicguy Chieftain

just my 2 cents... but if you're going to do a RCMP wonder... it should probably be like an RCMP Headquarters or something and it should be like the Heroic Epic... or maybe it could reduce war :mad: or Reduce maintenance... cuz if you're going to have a Canadian wonder make spies.. it should be a CSIS building or something like that, cuz CSIS is the closest thing to spies that i can think of in Canada... but that's just my 2 cents :)

15. Wyz_sub10

Good point. I'll have to look at all the wonders and see what fits best. I do agree that it's not a perfect fit with spies.

16. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Chieftain

Hey all,
    I am new to the forum here, and I have a problem, I've downloaded the canadian mod, installed it after converting it to a RAR, and now when I try playing CIV4 when I click on Canada in the setup screens civ4 stops working, it drops to windows right away. Any ideas??? thanks,
    I cant wait to play Canada! :)

17. Wyz_sub10

A few questions:

- why did you convert it to a RAR?
    - are you patched to version 1.52 of Civ4?
    - did you first create a Canada Mod folder *and* an Assets folder within it?

18. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Chieftain

Hey bud
    I guess my problem is that I didnt import the mod into the game itself. :( but I figured that out, and now I am playing canada! :) Im trying to dl 1.52 but my internet connection blows chunks - when I try to dl it the download manager keeps on telling me its done, and yet I never get the whole 40 meg file. pretty annoying I must say!
    btw thanx for a great canada mod!

19. Tharak

Tharak Chieftain

D'oh! Need to read the whole thread before replying :)

20. CanuckErrant

CanuckErrant Chieftain

What? Battleford's not in there? Heck, the only reason Regina is Saskatchewan's capital is because the CN owner and his cronies wanted the railroad to run along land they owned so they could make more money - that's why Regina is the only provincial capital not along a major waterway.

Heck, Battleford was capital of the NWT for a number of years, back when that meant "everything west of Manitoba and east of BC"...