Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

What about something like this?

CN Tower
Type: World Wonder
Production Cost: between 1250 and 1500
Production Time Halved By: Steel?
Obsolete By: Nothing?
Cultural Output: between 6 and 8
Great People Points: +2 (increases chance of generation great artist)?
Effects:
Maybe something that adds to gold production in city radius? Like plus 1 gold production per square? Or is that to good? Maybe something similar to the Eiffel Tower in that it adds a broadcast tower to each city, or something similar.

By the way, will the new wonders be part of CivGold?

Not a bad idea at all! I'd have to compare it to other modern wonders to check for balance.

I might add it to Gold. Not sure. To date, we've added only civs, nothing else. Maybe with Warlords I'll add it, seeing as we'll be adding other unique buildings.

Do you think you will make a unique building for the Canada Mod? I've thought about it but I can't come up with anything.

Do you think you will make a unique building for the Canada Mod? I've thought about it but I can't come up with anything.

What about a Hockey arena? Replaces Coliseum,
stats could be...
+2 happyness
+2 culture
+1 happyness per 20% culture rate

or something like that.

Possible Canadian UB:

Hockey Arena
Tim Horton's
Hudson's Bay Company

I think that a Hockey Arena is the most obvious...and probably the best choice, since it in no way represents a currently-existing corporate entity (such as Tim Horton's or the HBC)

Yes hockey arena probably would be the best of the three.. only because I cant see what that tim hortons could do? If someone could think of reasonable advantages then would be cool

ilr_18 said:
Yes hockey arena probably would be the best of the three.. only because I cant see what that tim hortons could do? If someone could think of reasonable advantages then would be cool

Tim Hortons? Happiness, culture and caffeine-infused production, baby! :D

I think when I get Warlords, I'll keep the CN Tower as a general wonder, and create a hockey-based building for Canada.

Now...for that:

1 - "Hockey Arena"
2 - "NHL Fanchise"
3 - "Pee Wee Hockey"
4 - other?

Speaking of the CN Tower...I've not forgotten it. I'm just waiting on Dubmetender who has graciously agree to put together a movie for it.

Don't post much but I'd say #1 as #2 not all can afford, #3, great, but the NHL is a big part of it.. etc.

Too bad you couldn't make it so that the CN tower would enhance the spreading of whatever the arena does (Especially in the city the CN tower is built..).

I like the UU choice, how about adding blitz to its starting promotions (Is it called that? Haven't played Civ 4 in a while..)
You look at from Vimy to the end of the war, we were used to bludgeon through the enemy's there, and they probably had little rest.

Someone a while back mentioined Calgary having a better hockey team than Edmonton, it is quite funny that those two teams were the last two runner's up to the Cup. :( I am sad about the runner up part).
Someone else also mentioned that we never use 'eh' though the world think we do.. Well I DO find my self using it sometimes, no all the time, but at the end of questions..

Anyways, sounds great, I should try it some day! :goodjob:

And did another patch come out? Oh great, that's what you get when you have dial-up... :(

how the **** do you make this **** work, i dont get it, could someone explain exactly how to make this all work it would be great.

DONKEHOTE said:
how the **** do you make this **** work, i dont get it, could someone explain exactly how to make this all work it would be great.

Did you look at the 'readme' in the zip?

You can also refer to this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4208341&postcount=409

Unzip the file here:

c:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Mods

Then, start a game a Civ IV, holding down the "Shift" key to clear the cache. Slect 'Advanced' and load the Canada mod.

If it *still* doesn't work, it's because the cache is still reading old stuff/not loading new stuff (lingering CIV problem since day one).

Find this file in the Civ directory - _Civ4Config

About half-way down you'll see this:

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = 0

Change '0' to 'Canada Mod' (no quotes)

Save and restart.

thanks it works now. its awesome. will it work with the warloards expansion or will i have to download another file to play canada in warloards.

DONKEHOTE said:
thanks it works now. its awesome. will it work with the warloards expansion or will i have to download another file to play canada in warloards.

I'll likely have to release a patch to make it compatible with Warlords. First we'll have to see what needs to be done to make it compatible. I would guess patches will start coming out in a week's time.

Okay, I picked up Warlords and am ready to work on compatibility for the Canada Mod.

Let's revisit unique building:

The temptation is to go with hockey arena - a replacement for the colosseum that adds a happiness and/or culture bonus.

But here's another thought:

No civ is using "broadcast tower" as a base building for the UB. After WWII, Canada pioneered microwave technology as a means of relaying telecommunications signals. By 1959, a microwave network connected Victoria to St. John's, and provided air coverage across the country.

It was an incredible feat of engineering.

So....I'm suggesting 'Microwave Network' as a replacement for 'Broadcast Tower' as a unique Canadian building.

So....I'm suggesting 'Microwave Network' as a replacement for 'Broadcast Tower' as a unique Canadian building.

That sounds interesting, but then wouldn't you run into problems if you built the Eiffel Tower as Canada? The Eiffel Tower puts a broadcast tower in every city right?

Just throwing out ideas here, but…what about some kind of hospital, you know to represent Canada’s Medicare, I don’t know what you could call it…maybe Medicare Hospital?

Update:

A final vanilla-edition for Canada is coming soon. Lots of fun changes, including a 2nd UU (flavor only), animated LHs for King and Pearson, fully integrated soundpack, and the CN Tower as a new wonder (plus one more ;)).

After this is done, I'll make the conversion to Warlords.

Sorry for the Civ-3 reference frame, but... how about the RCMP as a UB? Sort of like the Civ3 Temple of Zeus, available with nationalism (or earlier?), that turns out a Mountie every few turns- that can be used as an MP in corrupt and/or resisting captured cities? I had the idea that, to make it relevant for a longer time, its defense rating would be equal to the civ's best artillery's bombard value. That might even be a neat unit upgrade to go with a "peacekeeper"promotion... which in turn would go with an new advancement, INTERnationalism... meh.

Secondly, how hard would it be to have a UB that adds, say, the benefits of a Financial trait to the civ? the Hudsons bay Co really was the backbone of Candian identity and commerce for more than a century.

The hockey arena? I dunno. Then, why not a Little leauge diamond or football pitch?

Maybe a twist on the Agri trait; extra food from tundra?

OOO! OOO!

the Canadarm!

costs as much as a spaceship component, but reduses the cost of the others by, like, 25%!

:goodjob:

oof said:
Sorry for the Civ-3 reference frame, but... how about the RCMP as a UB? Sort of like the Civ3 Temple of Zeus, available with nationalism (or earlier?), that turns out a Mountie every few turns- that can be used as an MP in corrupt and/or resisting captured cities? I had the idea that, to make it relevant for a longer time, its defense rating would be equal to the civ's best artillery's bombard value. That might even be a neat unit upgrade to go with a "peacekeeper"promotion... which in turn would go with an new advancement, INTERnationalism... meh.

Secondly, how hard would it be to have a UB that adds, say, the benefits of a Financial trait to the civ? the Hudsons bay Co really was the backbone of Candian identity and commerce for more than a century.

The hockey arena? I dunno. Then, why not a Little leauge diamond or football pitch?

Maybe a twist on the Agri trait; extra food from tundra?

The UB has to replacing a city improvement, though. If you brought in the RCMP, it would probably replace the police station.

Top Bottom