1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Wyz_sub10, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

Make sure you're using the right version. There are two downloads - 'Vanilla' is the regular Civ version, no Warlords, and requires version 1.61.

There is a separate Warlords version.

What's happening is that you are closing a gazillion XML error messages, caused by something (or many things) out of place, creating a chain of errors. The version is the most likely culprit.

2. Reprisal

Reprisal Chieftain

I just started out a game with Jean, and I'm quite happy with the results so far (though I did try it out at Warlord, since I'm only really a Noble-level player).

I'm particularly happy with the use of Charismatic in some of the leaders, since it seems more akin to the historical military aspects of the Canadian experience. Though we're not exactly the most militant of nations, Canadians have proven themselves as able as others to fight on a regiment-by-regiment basis.

It still feels strange to adopt Slavery as a Civic under Jean, though...

3. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite Chieftain

I downloaded the warlord version in my warlord folder, Ill try again with vanilla in a couple a weeks (my computer is getting fixed), I have 1.61

4. Red Dog

Red Dog Chieftain

I like this MOD alot, it's really in detail, but, what about the Atlantic Regiments? This may seem like a petty note to bring up, but important none the less. It seems like in this mod the only people who fight for Canada are Quebekers, Square heads, and Westerners... thanks from all Atlantic Canadian warriors...

5. Wyz_sub10

I have about...4 or 5?...Atlantic regiments in the list. Just so you know, most are listed in order (1st regiment, 2nd regiment, etc.)

North Novas, Black Watch and Royal Highlanders are 3 Atlantic regs in the list. I'll have to double-check on others. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

6. futurehermit

futurehermit Chieftain

Help! I can't seem to get it to work. Being a Canadian and a Civ4 fan I feel it's my duty to get this mod to work for me :p

I downloaded the warlords file (I have patched warlords). I didn't get a zipped folder, I just got a file called Canada_Mod_DeluxeWar.7z

What should I do with it and/or did something go wrong in the sense that I should have a zipped folder?

Thx in adv!

7. Wyz_sub10

7z is a zipped folder. You can open it either with WinRAR or 7-Zip.

8. futurehermit

futurehermit Chieftain

Got it! Thanks!!! Great work btw :)

9. futurehermit

futurehermit Chieftain

Ha! Started my first game with Trudeau. SOOO sweet, lol! Nothing like seeing Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, etc. (Is Regina on the list? If so how many cities do I need to build to get it? It's my hometown :p ).

Great job on this mod. I thought about this kind of a mod for a long time (could never do it myself). What do you think about John-A.-Mac getting a bonus to building railroads? I always thought that would be a cool, historically-accurate bonus :D

10. Straen

Straen Chieftain

Hi...I'm seriously impressed with this mod. I've always been disappointed that Sid Meier never bothered to include us in his games, despite the Americans always getting to play (Yanks in 4000BC? I don't think so.)

Anyhow, I want to use the 2.0 version of the mod, but I can't get over how unprofessional the included soundpack is. I mean, the music is pretty good, but the unit responses are kinda lame. Some of 'em are funny, but most of them are off-the-shelf Canadian references that everyone's heard a million times, and they just don't fit in with the rest of the feeling of the game. It just doesn't do justice to our Canadian military to have them sound like an old rerun of Air Farce. I mean, I'm trying to be a Canadian warlord, here. If my troops started acting like Bob and Doug McKenzie, I'd have them out digging latrines 'till morning. (How's *that* for a Canadian reference, eh? Google it if you have to :p)

So is there some way of ripping the sound back out and switching it for, say, the British civ sounds? At least they have discipline.

11. Wyz_sub10

There are several cities from Saskatchewan in the mix. Regina is the 11th city built. Saskatoon is 14th. Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and The Battlefords also get built (but are pretty far down the line).

For leaders, you can assign specific bonuses like that, but MacDonald is Expansive and Organized - the former is a direct tie to the railroad, while the latter is a nod to Confederation.

12. Wyz_sub10

Thanks!

The sound pack was done by purplexus and he has his tongue firmly planted in cheek for this. Personally, I think it's a wink and a nudge to our sense of humour and the fact that, unlike some cultures, we can have a laugh at ourselves.

But others have expressed similar feelings and I do understand where you are coming from.

The easy way to do it is to edit the "CivilizationInfos" XML. Just change:

Replace 'CANADA' with 'ENGLAND'.

An alternate approach - and the one I would suggest, because purplexus did work hard on this, after all - would be to go through the sound files (the actual audio files) and simply delete the ones you don't like, rename the remainder accordingly (001, 002,...)

13. Straen

Straen Chieftain

Wow, quick response, early in the morning, too. Thanks Wyz!

14. futurehermit

futurehermit Chieftain

Very nice. I'm off to build 11 cities :p Thanks!

15. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I tried out this mod ages ago on Vanilla, then got wrapped up with the ALC games and forgot about it. I just tried out the Warlords version and I'm very impressed with the attention to detail. This is a fun mod for any Canucklehead. The unit sounds crack me up; the first time I clicked on my Scout and heard "Laird t'underin' Jaysus", I was in stitches! :lol: (My parents were maritimers, so it was particularly relevant.) Hearing the Great White North "battle cry" also makes me giggle. I'm thinking of swapping some sound files around so I hear "COOOOO-LOO-COO-COO-COO-COO-COO-COO!" when I declare war. :goodjob:

I have a suggestion/comment/question. I find that the combination of somewhat lame starting techs and late UU/UB put Canada at a bit of a disadvantage. Given its importance to our history and economy, I don't see why Canada shouldn't start with the more potent Mining tech instead of Fishing. (I kind of like the Hunting starting tech for Scouts, or as I like to think of them, "Coureurs de Bois" :D Hmmm, early game UU? No other civ has a unique Scout, do they? +1 movement point? And/or starts with Woodsman I? Makes other civs' Scouts slower after meeting them because it trades them firewater for furs? Give it some thought, Wyz_sub10!)

Here's the question part: if Wyz_sub10 doesn't want to make change to the mod's opening techs, which I can understand, perhaps someone can tell me where and how in the XML I could do so myself?

16. Wyz_sub10

Thanks! Glad you like it. purplexus did the unit sounds and music for Canada.

Well, to be true to history - or at least in the ballpark - I think Hunting and Fishing are the ways to go. Yes, Mining might be more advantageous, but Hunting and Fishing really built the country. Hunting is a direct link to the days of the Fur Trade, which is how this country was settled and grown in its infancy, and Fishing has been the staple of the early peoples from coast to coast and northward.

As for the UU, it's not nearly as late as the Germans' or Americans', and it's a lot more powerful than some of the early UUs. And in terms of applicability, Canada has never been (and may never be) as powerful and relevant as it was during World War I, when Canadians advanced at Vimy Ridge and made decisive gains for the Allies.

Having said that, my Civ III version of Canada did have the Voyageurs as the Unique Unit. It replaced the Settler and had some simple combat ability. It's as good a choice as any, but after getting input from across the board way back when I started this, Canada Corps seemed the way to go.

Go to the XML folder of the Mods/Canada Mod folder. Find 'Civilizations'. Open 'Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml' and find the entry for Canada. You can see the starting techs there. Just change TECH_HUNTING to TECH_MINING.

17. Sisiutil

Yes, I thought you were going for historical accuracy there. This country was initially settled for those two purposes, wasn't it? Fish and fur. And now they're both endangered, or close to it! :sad:

Thanks nevertheless for the info on how to change it. We'll see if I can resist the temptation. :mischief: I may not. The one big advantage of starting with Hunting and a Scout, of course, is the ability to get to more tribal villages. With luck, at least one or more will pop for one of the more "powerful" early techs.

(A random thought: upon reflection, the only sound missing is one of Foster Hewitt shouting, "He shoots, he SCORES!")

Thanks again for all the hard work you and others have put into this mod!

18. Anofalye

Anofalye Chieftain

The corps work fine.

UU ideas should you want other (eh, merely ideas thrown like that)

- CF-18, they could have higher interception values, our pilots are supposedly the best.
    - Gunship (don't recall the name), could have a carrying capacity of 1 infantry/marines.
    - "Frienship", give any military unit a +1 happy factor when inside an allied city, Canadians units where usually welcome and making the locals extremely happy in WW2, a lot more than anyone would have expected.

Buildings could be:
    - Reform centers (dunno the right name) (replaces prison, since we believe in rehabilating peoples), might grant an additional +1 happiness
    - Public Universities, increase the cultural value or the happiness, as they are more accessible to the masses
    - Public hospitals/pharmacy, increase the happiness as well as the health
    - Lumber industry (replace factories), they work like factory but they grant a diplomatic bonus toward the peoples sharing an open border with you, and a trade increase +1.

Possible National wonder, a weaker version of the 3 Gorges Damn.

Possible special powers for uniques scenarios: Other factions might be unable to refuse peace, other nations might react more if you are attacked by a 3rd party. If you share a comon war against an enemy as an ally, the allie may suffer less war unhappiness.

Teasing for the fun of it:
    - Submarines should take 10% damage per turn.
    - Peace Treaty could be done and accepted without you having a word to say. You might be unable to declare war, unless a defensive pact or similar situation allow it.

Anyway, Merry X-mas and GN.

19. Sisiutil

Just a couple of things I've noticed, having played through a whole game with this wonderful mod:

• The game elements appear to be Warlords pre-patch: Heroic Epic requires a Level 5 unit, Military Academies only provide a +25% production boost, and so on. I didn't try a CS slingshot, but looking back, it was probably possible. Anyway, when you get a chance, you may want to update the mod to incorporate the changes in the patch, which make the game more balanced, IMHO.
    • Maybe it's just me, but there was something wrong with one of the sound files, methinks. Specifically, sometimes when a spy became the active unit, this loud, god-awful screech of static would play for several seconds. I play with headphones on, and the first time it happened, I yanked them off and threw them across the room! Then I fell to the floor, curled into a fetal ball, and whimpered like a beaten puppy for several minutes. It helped.

20. thefais

thefais Chieftain

Another thought on a national wonder... The Canadian Pacific railroad. Available with Railroad (obviously).

Not sure on cost (coal for half cost)
    Reduces maintenance for all connected cities on continent.
    OR
    +1 domestic trade routes