1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Civilization (leader 3d, era specific)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by CivArmy s. 1994, Jul 9, 2004.

1. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

1. The civilopedia might be too long if more is added.. be careful

2. I think the city list might be a little off. I can't imagine that Montreal, Winniped, and Edmonton would be below some of the cities listed. It looks like a foreigner looked at a map and picked all the big dots on the map in random order (no offense).. maybe a Canadian native could look it over to make a better list. And it really should be no longer than 24 cities or so.

3. The backgrounds look kind of shiny.. maybe you could do that one effect in photoshop for the modern backgroudn that makes it wavy like a flying flag. And the books look really shiny too. Maybe you could us an actual photograph?

my 2 cents.

2. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Trust me, the more city names the better. Otherwise the Computer will start making citys like New Toronto etc...I think Civarmys doing one hell of a job.

If you said the citys could be in a better order....thats a possibility.

3. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

thanx SOG for adding the french in, trust me it makes a difference... it wouldn't be right to treat canadian history just from an english speaking perspective

all the cities in the list are important regionally, if you want to go by population then they would start differently, ie. toronto, montreal, vancouver etc... i can take a look at them.. being a canadian i'm quite satisfied with the cities mentioned... perhaps the order could be adjusted as suggested.. i can take a look at them soon if no one else orders them

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Aamimon thought that the city list wasn't good. I'm glad your happy with it.

Now to put a civilipedia entry for the Mountie toghether...any ideas?

5. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

ok here's statistics canada on the 30 largest cities

Toronto** (Ontario) 4,682,897
    Montreal (Quebec) 3,426,350
    Vancouver (British Columbia) 1,986,965
    Ottawa–Hull (Ontario–Quebec) 1,063,664
    Calgary (Alberta) 951,395
    Edmonton (Alberta) 937,845
    Quebec (Quebec) 682,757
    Winnipeg (Manitoba) 671,274
    Hamilton (Ontario) 662,401
    London (Ontario) 432,451
    Kitchener (Ontario) 414,284
    St. Catharines–Niagara (Ontario) 377,009
    Halifax (Nova Scotia) 359,183
    Victoria (B.C.) 311,902
    Windsor (Ontario) 307,877
    Oshawa (Ontario) 296,298
    Saskatoon (Saskatchewan) 225,927
    Regina (Saskatchewan) 192,800
    St. John's (Newfoundland Lab.) 172,918
    Greater Sudbury (Ontario) 155,601
    Chicoutimi–Jonquière (Quebec) 154,938
    Sherbrooke (Quebec) 153,811 22 22
    Barrie ( Ontario) 148,480
    Kelowna (British Columbia) 147,739
    Abbotsford ( British Columbia) 147,370
    Kingson (Ontario) 146,838
    Trois-Rivières (Quebec) 135,507
    Saint John (New Brunswick) 122,678
    Thunder Bay (Ontario) 121,986
    Moncton (New Brunswick) 117,727
    Source: Statistics Canada

of course regionally some cities have had a very important historical impact that might not be reflected in current size

6. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

more tips for the new arts beside the backgrounds??? some stuffs look like plastic, I have to fix it, found a new flag too. If anyone find on in Internet, post ;) , it must be 400x480 pixels or plus.
    about the city list: Jonatas, thanks for the list, I took first list from a Canadian treat, I didn't know if these first list was good or not.

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Lets see...Ancient: Maybe make him look like a Viking....They were the first Europeans to discover Canada after all.

Medival: Give him that Colonial-Era European look, ya know, White Wig, aristocratic looking suit

8. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

oh i was your list was good... perhaps you can look at the one i just posted from statistics canada and add any large cities you missed... like i said population isn't the only factor.. you have to take into consideration regional importance for a country the size of canada... the canada statistics list is just there for your reference... if you want ill take a look at your list and adjust it..

hold on a sec and ill do it...

9. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

ok here comes an adjusted canadian city list... first 30 or so done by population except for Ottawa which is the capital.... then adding smaller regional centres randomly, incorporating civarmy's list... hope i don't offend any canadians... i'm canadian myself.. and i hope it's useful civarmy :)

Ottawa
    Toronto
    Montreal
    Vancouver
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Quebec city
    Winnepeg
    Hamilton
    London
    Kitchener
    St Catherines-Niagara
    Halifax
    Victoria
    Windsor
    Oshawa
    Saskatoon
    Regina
    St John's
    Sudbury
    Jonquiere
    Sherbrooke
    Barrie
    Kelowna
    Abbotsford
    Kingston
    Trois Rivieres
    Saint John
    Thunder Bay
    Moncton
    Fredericton
    Charlottetown
    Whitehorse
    Guelph
    Iqaluit
    Medicine Hat
    Alert
    Prince George
    Red Deer
    Swift Current
    Lethbridge
    Summerside
    Stratford
    Nanaimo
    Kincordine
    Corner brook
    Coquitlam
    Gatineau
    Kamloops
    Gander
    Whistler
    Brandon

10. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

Its not that I thoguht the city list wasn't good, I just thought the city order could be rearranged. The latest city list is very good. Just make Ottowa the capital and capitalize the names and you're set.

11. Sword_Of_Geddon

I'm sure Civarmy will be happy when he gets back to see the new City list and my Civilipedia entry. Thanks guys!

12. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

Yes, the civilopedia and city list are really good :goodjob: , I love them. For the middle age I had the same idea, maybe a castle in background, they could be a aristocratical room, using clothes of a poet, maybe.
    For the ancient one I desagree, in all the eras tha leader is cult, if he dreesed Roman/Greek clothes I think it is a better idea ;) a good classical run could be a good scenario, maybe a temple.

Thanks again guys, you ameasing!

13. stainz

stainz Prince

too cool... thanx much for this LH dude :)

anyways... this is what i,ve been using for my civ text and city list...

Civpedia
    Code:
    #RACE_CANADA
    ^
    ^The Canadians are $LINK<industrious and scientific=GCON_Strengths>. They start the game with $LINK<Alphbet=TECH_Alphabet> and $LINK<Masonry=TECH_Masonry>.
    ^
    ^The first settlers on Canadian soil are believed to be peoples of Asiatic decent who migrated via the Aleutian land bridge to the continent between 12 and 30 thousand years ago. By 10,000 B.C., several tribes were spread across almost 4,000,000 square miles. An elaborate social system, with economic and military networks would arise by 500 B.C.
    ^The first European visitors were the Norsemen at the turn of the first millennium, setting camp in modern-day Newfoundland and trading with local native tribes. Canada was not permanently settled until the arrival of the French in the early 16th century. Jacques Cartier's misunderstanding of the native word [kanata], meaning [village] or [settlement], gave rise to the name 'Canada' for the land as a whole. A series of treaties shifted control of the region from the English to the French in 1679, back to England in 1713, to France again in 1748, and finally under British control once more in 1763.
    ^England's Constitutional Act of 1791 saw the province of Quebec divided into Upper and Lower Canada. After the American Revolution many United Empire Loyalists left the United States and emigrated to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec. The division into Upper and Lower Canada gave the Loyalists who settled west of the Ottawa River the chance to organize and develop along their own lines.
    ^ Lord Durham published a report in 1840 that called for the union of the two territories into one. In 1841, the Act of Union created the territory which was given Cartier's term 'Canada'. The treaty of 1842 settled the boundary between the United States and the British territories in the east; and by the treaty of 1846 the 49th parallel was agreed upon as the boundary from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific. In the east, in 1840, Upper and Lower Canada were reunited as the province of Canada.

#DESC_RACE_CANADA
    ^
    ^In 1867 the British North America Act brought together the provinces of Canada, divided into Ontario and Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, to form the Dominion of Canada. In 1869, having acquired the rights from the Hudson's Bay Company, the Dominion transformed the former Rupert's Land and the area beyond the Rocky Mountains into the North West Territories. In 1870, the old Red River settlement joined the Dominion as the province of Manitoba. In 1871 British Columbia joined the union. In 1873 Prince Edward Island joined Confederation.
    ^World War I saw the coming of age of Canada as a nation and the disillusionment of a generation concerning Empire and causes. WWI was the most costly conflict that Canada was ever involved with and was mainly fought to support the political aims and ambitions of the British Empire, although Canada's role earned it a seat in the League of Nations. Later, the country's military role in global affairs would be developed through peacekeeping.
    ^The role of the United Nations supplying forces to keep the peace was first suggested by Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, when he was serving at the UN as Canada's representative. This idea has become one of the central fixtures in UN activities throughout the world. Pearson was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for the inspiration and Canada has become the most important and respected player in peacekeeping duties throughout the world.
    ^As an affluent, high-tech industrial society, Canada today closely resembles the US in its market-oriented economicsystem, pattern of production, and high living standards. Since World War II, the impressive growth of the manufacturing, mining, and service sectors has transformed the nation from a largely rural economy into one primarily industrial and urban. With its great natural resources, skilled labour force, and modern capital plant Canada enjoys solid economic standing as a member of the global "Group of 7", along with the United States, Japan, Germany, Italy,Great Britain and France.
    City List
    Code:
    Ottawa
    Calgary
    Montréal
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Halifax
    Edmonton
    Winnipeg
    Québec City
    Regina
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Hamilton
    St. Johns
    Saskatoon
    Victoria
    Fredericton
    Kitchener
    Yellowknife
    Charlottetown
    Mississauga
    Thunder Bay
    Sudbury
    New Westminster
    Revelstoke
    Salmon Arm
    Lachine
    Stewart
    Whistler
    Anmore
    Bamfield
    Cassiar
    Dawson Creek
    Delta
    Kelowna
    Banff
    Drumheller
    Barrie
    Batchawana Bay
    Horseshoe Falls
    Cavendish
    Montague
    Westmount
    Big River
    Marcelin
    Carcross
    Dawson City
    Watson Lake
    Whitehorse
    Gjoa Haven
    Iqaluit
    Pangnirtung
    Hay River
    Nanaimo
    St. Lunaire-Griquet
    Innisfail
    Red Deer
    Collingwood
    Medicine Hat
    Rivière-du-Loup
    Portage la Prairie
    Trail
    Sydney
    Bragg Creek
    Okotoks
    Diamond City
    Seven Sisters
    Brewers Mills
    Reliance
    Labrador City
    Chicoutimi-Jonquière
    North Battleford

14. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

New images here:

Stainz, good city list and civilopedia! Sword, check his civilopedia, if you wish make some additions in your civilopedia and tell me. Jonatas, if you wish change some city position after saw Stainz list, do the alteration and tell me.

thanks for all the support!!!

15. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

middle ages is excellent

16. Sword_Of_Geddon

I think Stainz is better than mine. Only thing I'd add is what special units the Canadians get(Mountie, Afro Arrow etc.)

17. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

So, I will use his civilopedia. The UU ignores mountain and hills, he walks there as in plains, in Vanilla is not possible activie this power, I must think a power to Vanilla.
    i'm exporting these arts, in sunday and monday we can play as (or against) Canada :cool:

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Yay! Is your version of Canada going to be in ACM?

BTW: have you played Far Horizons yet? What do you think?

19. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

Of course my American friend, Canada was developed specialy to be added in ACM :cool:
    Unfortunally I'm spending too many time doing new civis, I have few free time to play Far Horizons, just played in the day it was launched, but just few rounds. Look the "CivArmy Home Work" :lol: for the next weeks, these lists of future civis (Abyssians, Honk Kong, Pictavia...) never stops to grown :lol: :

20. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity