1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Elections!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wrymouth3, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

So... it turns out that the woman who almost won the NDP nomination in my riding has some racist posts on Facebook. She got nominated in a nearby riding after losing here. Given how many candidates have been kicked out or persuaded to drop out because of FB and Twitter posts, I wonder if she'll do the honorable thing.

I did briefly consider the Greens, until I found out the candidate in my riding actually lives in Calgary and so far doesn't have an office in Red Deer (makes it rather hard for anyone to drop in for a chat). So that disqualifies him.

This is the first election in ages that's been this hard to decide.

2. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Hypothetical Canadian alter ego:

70 L
    63 G
    56 N
    51 C

Last place seems about right.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I would only vote green for strategic purposes, in ridings where their candidates have the best chance of winning and preventing a conservative candidate from winning that seat. So basically never.

I align fairly nicely with the greens in terms of things I believe in and stand for, but they also stand for some pretty crazy nonsense that I definitely do not. I wish they would clean up their act already and stop becoming the party of crazy people and the party of pseudoscience. We've already got a party of anti-science around, no need to make things worse.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Hypothetical TK who moved to British Columbia in 1900

5. Valka D'Ur

Okay, anyone remember the "Unfair Elections Act" and the Holy 39 Pieces of ID and no more voters' cards or vouching ('cause everyone not voting Conservative is just looking for all kinds of ways to commit electoral fraud, y'know...)?

I've been voting by special ballot for years now, as I find physically getting to the polling station really stressful. So on Monday I tried to register for this, and ran into an utterly insane roadblock.

For some reason I cannot fathom, people who vote at home via special ballot are required to have a witness. The Elections Canada worker isn't good enough - I have to basically be vouched for in my own home! The witness has to be a registered voter who's on my polling station's voters' list.

There's a grand total of one trustworthy person I know in this building - my neighbor across the hall. The snag is that she'd be willing to be a witness if she didn't have to be a registered voter. She's eligible, but refuses. "I'm not political, it doesn't matter, they're all the same, so nope, nope, nope..." I told her that registering doesn't mean she'd actually have to vote, but she still refused.

So that led to more phone calls to the Elections Canada office in this riding... which is located in Lacombe (it's more convenient, apparently, since every voter has a car and can just drive to Lacombe to register, yup). The Returning Officer told me that if I took the Action Bus to the EC office in Lacombe, she'd let me vote right then and there, if I wanted. So I phoned the Action Bus to see how much it would cost to go out of town, and it turns out that they only go within the city and county. Lacombe is in a different county.

A mail-in ballot means sending ID through the mail (to apply for the damn ballot in the first place) and hoping the people working at Canada Post that day are ones who are literate (I swear some of them are suspiciously lacking that ability), getting the ballot, voting, and taking the bus to an accessible mailbox to mail the ballot (there isn't one anywhere within my walking distance that's safe for a mobility-challenged person), and hoping it'll get to the Returning Officer in time.

Since I have little trust in Canada Post these days, the only other thing is to do the advance poll thing. Finding out where that is, and if it's in an accessible building took more time - the Elections Canada website had no information on that. In the course of the conversation with the Action Bus agent, I finally found out that information, but will double-check it after September 28 (the final day for candidates to file and the deadline for getting polling station sites finalized).

This is the most disorganized election I've seen since I was old enough to vote, and that was in 1981.

And warpus, I know you've got mixed feelings about Elizabeth May, but she's the only leader I'd trust to go to bat for people in my situation - who have trouble getting to the polls and have to be "vouched for" in our own homes. I know some people will say that the witness is to safeguard the integrity of the process, blah, blah... but I used to be a Deputy Returning Officer, and I know how the process is supposed to work. In all the years I've been voting this way I have never had any qualms about the workers who came, because I know they did things exactly the correct way. Having a witness is no guarantee, because the witness wouldn't necessarily be able to spot any irregularity.

And besides... there are supposed to be two workers anyway: The Deputy Returning Officer, who initials the ballot before handing it to the voter (so any challenged ballot can be traced to the exact voting station and DRO/PC - poll clerk - team for investigation) and takes the voter through the declaration of eligibility and statement that he/she has not voted previously in this election, and the Poll Clerk who is in charge of the voters' list. If that's not enough, I don't see how a witness is going to make it any safer. Witnesses aren't required at the polling station, the advance poll, or for mail-in ballots, so why they'd be required for this is something I can only surmise is just another obstacle thrown up to discourage or prevent certain demographics from voting.

So I'm going to drop Elizabeth May an email about this, and see if she can find out why this rule change happened and what it's supposed to accomplish. It's not something that people get to know until the Returning Officer says, "Oh, by the way, you need a witness as well..." and that would utterly blindside and intimidate some people into giving up.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Harper had been trying to push through some Republican-like anti-voting measures, designed to prevent specific groups of people from voting.. maybe this is one of them.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I really never bother paying attention to voting requirements or registration or any of that stuff. I just walk over to polling location on my lunch break on election day with some ID and cast a vote. I don't expect it to be a problem.

8. Valka D'Ur

I'm actually surprised that this CBC.ca story didn't get shut down:

Elections Canada warns staff to watch for dirty 'voter suppression' tricks

There are quite a few people in the comments section expressing the desire for the U.N. or other observers to come here to see if they can spot any polling-day shenanigans.

I can't wait to see what sorts of phone calls I'm going to get on October 19. The Conservatives already know I'm not one of their supporters, given that I told off the canvasser who called me three days before the writ was dropped, not to mention that I've emailed my MP about environmental stuff.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

They're likely too disorganized to keep track of individual voters, especially ones not voting for them.

I think Trudeau and the Liberals have convinced me a bit that they'd actually be decent in charge of the country. I wish the NDP made a push though, because I'd prefer them.. but they seem to be falling a bit behind in the race to be the harper alternative.

10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Liberals would be walking away with this election if either Frank McKenna or Mark Carney had wanted to be leader rather than Trudeau.

11. Valka D'Ur

Warpus, I used to be a Deputy Returning Officer. During one of the elections in the '90s, a Reform Party scrutineer sashayed over to our table with her clipboard of papers and notes and asked how many people had voted. She was allowed to ask this, and the Poll Clerk answered.

Then she wanted to know if specific people had voted yet. That's something she was not allowed to ask. The Poll Clerk was all ready to open her big mouth and tell the scrutineer everything, and I told her, "No. You don't answer that. They're not allowed to know that information."

So the scrutineer had to go away without some of what she'd come to find out.

They kept track of specific voters 20-odd years ago (or tried to), and they do that now. And I fully expect to get phone calls or emails from both the Liberals and NDP on voting day, urging me to get to the polls. Unsubscribing from the Liberal mailing list - twice - didn't do any good, because they still have me in their database. I'm not sure if it's the database compiled from the list of people who voted in the leadership race or one they compiled of people who signed a petition or emailed on some issue or other. The Liberals don't actually answer emails (they didn't answer mine) other than to take the information and add it to the database of People To Hit Up For $$$$$$.

12. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

THIS., So much this.

I'm not even sure how they got my name and email to begin, maybe some petition, but now they're NOT. LETTING. IT. GO. I unsubscribed about 10+ times already without effect.

If the Conservative party's leader was even marginally less of an insane control freak, the Liberals would be firmly at the bottom of my list of parties, on raw account of their callous disregard for common decency.

13. Valka D'Ur

Woot! My riding is FAMOUS!!! :lol:

Source.

What people have found so amusing about this situation is the actual letter that Calkins' lawyer sent to Jeff Rock, the Liberal candidate.

It's full of spelling and grammar mistakes, and doesn't even get the name of the riding correct. The initials at the bottom left indicate that the lawyer typed it himself (I checked his website and his receptionist does not have the same initials).

If Red Deer were a reasonable riding, this is something that could make some people change their minds about voting for a candidate whose lawyer is so deficient in basic literacy and doesn't even know which riding his client is seeking to represent.

As it is, some people have been countering that the Liberals are not so squeaky-clean with their finances, either. So maybe this whole situation will end up benefiting the NDP a little?

We'll know on October 19.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Valka, that's interesting!

Here's that Blue Rodeo anti-Harper song

Link to video.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I'm really sad to see some of our more asinine voting practices are crossing the border.

@Valka - totally empathize with you on early/absentee voting. Missouri doesn't allow early voting and to have an absentee vote cast, you have to get a sworn statement that you will not be at your polling location notarized, then mail the whole thing in. Of course, getting something notarized isn't free unless you go to the courthouse to have the county clerk do it which presupposes you can get to the county clerk during business hours in the first place!

It winds up becoming a poll tax and a massive waste of resources and time for those involved. It was enough of a chore that I almost didn't go through with it myself.

16. Valka D'Ur

Thanks.

Let's just say that this is the first election I can remember that inspired so many protest songs against a Prime Minister. He truly has no clue how many people hate him. Even Lyin' Brian Mulroney didn't inspire this much loathing, and that's saying something.

You don't have notaries anywhere except at the court house? I can think of at least two places I can go that are not the court house to get something notarized, and it won't cost a cent.

17. Evie

Words fail me (from Friday) :

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/t...ort-neighbors-for-barbaric-cultural-practices

...Canada has officially become scary. And I don't mean that in a pro-Quebec sort of way.

18. Valka D'Ur

The CBC comment boards were full of "so let's all report Harper and crash the tip line" comments (similar to the "Tell Vic Everything" thing people did a few years ago).

I'm all for alerting the police and social agencies to the danger of underage girls being forced into marriage against their will, or forced to undergo FGM... but "barbaric cultural practices" is a vague phrase that can be applied to practically everything, if you put the precise twist on it.

In another scary thing, did you know that Tony Turner, who wrote and performed "Harperman", was forbidden to associate with the other people who appeared in his video? It wasn't the court that forbade it, it was the government. He's still under investigation, for writing a song on his own time, recording it in a church basement with some friends (not using a single scrap of government resources), and at no time did he identify himself as a government employee or endorse any specific political party.

When the singalong was held on Parliament Hill, anyone taking part who happened to be a government employee was warned to remove their ID and not tell anyone they worked for the government. Some people who wanted to take part were afraid. Afraid to publicly sing a song criticizing the government.

This "government" is evil.

19. Evie

There are already plenty of (easy) way to report crimes when you witness them.

A "barbaric cultural practices" hotline...is going in effect to be a "report foreigners who do things I don't like" hotline. Which can have two results.

A. The government does nothing about the reports, and file them away unless there's a crime.
    Result: legitimizing cultural intolerance and hatred in ways not seen in decades in Canada. A society more divised than ever, with ethnophobia and similar being not only prevalent, but an openly visible public force.

B. The government actually act on those reports, resulting in government harassment of foreigners whose neightbor rat on for "investigating" the accusations. This is, obviously, even scarier than the already scary first option.

The is no decent outcome to either scenario.

20. Arwon

Arwon