1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Elections!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wrymouth3, Jun 30, 2015.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I for one am happy that the country is finally being led by a young white guy as opposed to an old white guy.

2. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

This forum needs a "like" button.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Trudeau reiterated the electoral reform promise today. At least he's on top of prior commitments made, I suppose. Here's hoping the cogs of the machine start turning and it isn't an empty vow.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

He also promised high speed rail from London to Toronto and the legalization of Marjiuana asap.

We'll see what happens with those promises

5. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Both of those would be pretty cool. Extra tax dollars and further accessibility in southern Ontario can only be good things.

6. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Can non-Canadians now comment on the elections without fear of a $5K penalty?

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, plus the war on drugs is pretty asinine, we're stretching our police thin. Let them worry about actual problems rather than going after casual marijuana users.

Here's what they want to do btw:

Here's a (relatively large) PDF detailing the high speed rail plan

The provincial Liberals proposed this ^^, and not the federal Liberals.. but I do seem to remember reading that Trudeau wants to improve Canada's infrastructure. I also remember him saying that he supports the high speed rail plan.

Here's hoping! It would be a boon for southwestern Ontario

8. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I'm most interested in how the changes in law will deal with people who just want to grow a few plants for themselves, because that's not going to stop and isn't worth prosecuting.

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

People used to be able to grow their own and sell to patients who need it, legally. But then the Conservatives messed that up and now you need a huge investment and/or capital of your own to make it happen, since they make you jump through hoops, you need to get a very specific type of building to grow it in, very specialized security, etc. It's all designed so that only people with $$$ are able to do this.

Anyhow, I'm sure that growing for patients is going to be again as easy as getting a piece of paper that you can - and that part used to be easy because I know people who have done it.

As for growing it for personal use, I have no idea, but you are able to brew beer and make wine for yourself, so.. you'd think that there would be some sort of an allowance for such a thing. But then again you're not able to distill your own vodka.. but maybe you can? *shrug* Either way this is going to be a hell of a lot better than under the cons

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

He mentioned something about preferential ballots - you rank the candidates as to your first, second, third, and fourth preference. This is how most parties choose their leaders at the leadership conventions, though obviously it's not practical to do more than one round of voting in a federal election.

Niqab. ;) They're not the same.

Some folks would say it's karma... Harper tried to prohibit a couple of Muslim women from wearing a niqab at their citizenship ceremonies, and one of them fought back. The issue helped derail Mulcair's campaign and much of his support turned to the Liberals. Thus Harper got exactly the result he didn't want. :D

Thank you! :)

Well, Elizabeth May intends to hold him to his promises... not that she has enough support in numbers, but she's persistent.

So many Conservative shills on CBC, denigrating Trudeau's past as a teacher, like being a teacher is a bad thing... :shake: It takes years of university, and that's not a small commitment. And he did teach math and French, as well.

And yeah, Justin knows how to hug his children. He won't be sending them off to school with a handshake.

"Christians for Christians", hm? Is this guy aware that most of the Prime Ministers over the past several decades have been Roman Catholic? And that Harper is from some weird fundamentalist church that thinks the world is only 6000 years old?

It'll be nice to once again have a Prime Minister who knows how to leave his religion at home and not bring it to work. That's something his father understood, and also Jean Chretien and Paul Martin.

Now that's quite a change! You'd never see Harper doing anything casual like that; he was allergic to interacting with regular people. Should be interesting to see what happens to all of Harper's security paraphernalia; the vast majority of it was unnecessary vanity. Sure, we hated him, but assassination isn't something we do anymore.

You feel old? Someone pointed out the other day that I'm the only Canadian here old enough to remember when Pierre Trudeau was the Prime Minister! I was in my 20s when he took his "walk in the snow" and in my 30s when he spoke publicly against the Charlottetown Accord.

That sounds like a bizarre combination, and quite unpalatable.

We'd never tell on you. ;)

Many of the ones on CBC.ca are monumentally stupid, but I have seen some people consistently post in such a way that I wish there was a way to correspond with them.

As for YouTube, it's a way to get some things said so that I can tell it like I see it without worrying about being infracted or pinked. ;)

12. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

:bump:

Anyone else planning to watch the swearing-in of our new Prime Minister and cabinet? The ceremony starts at 10:30 Eastern time and will be shown on CBC-TV and on cbc.ca

We are about to officially heave Steve and the new cabinet plans to get down to work later today. :)