[RD] Canadian federal election 2019: Voting day is October 21.

Perhaps you're right. And looking at the "Republics" in the world at the time of the Philadelphia Convention - the Dutch Republic, the Florentine Republic, the Genoan Republic, the Republic of Pisa, the Most Serene Republic of Venice, and the de facto independent Republics of the Hanseatic City-States along the Rhine and Baltic Coasts - all highly corrupt, plutocratic, mercantilist, highly socially stratified, nepotistic, and grandiose nations who shameless bought wars just to increase profits of their merchants and companies, and had any consultations by their citizens as to the leadership just rubberstamps of the decisions already made by filthy rich plutocrats - yes, I do think you're onto something!

Even the republic on which US was modeled wasn't exactly peachy. But it was a republic too, not a "democracy".

I'm just pointing out that insistence on democracy specifically seems to be relatively recent in historical terms, and to be propaganda with some pretty obvious motivating factors.

Even the republic on which US was modeled wasn't exactly peachy. But it was a republic too, not a "democracy".

I'm just pointing out that insistence on democracy specifically seems to be relatively recent in historical terms, and to be propaganda with some pretty obvious motivating factors.

No system is perfect, certainly. Every system can benefit from improvement. However, one great disservice and lack of forward-thinking vision the Founding Fathers inflicted on the American people was making such improvements Herculean labours to accomplish, even if drastically and dearly needed. Plus, a Constitutional hostility to any sort of binding participation or consultation of citizens in government outside the strict and delineated parameters of the electoral cycle has led to a government able to act with impunity and commit all manners of corruption, abuses of power, and high crimes, and effectively be above any legal punishment or consequences by it's citizens, or that it's common citizens would otherwise suffer themselves.

No system is perfect, certainly. Every system can benefit from improvement. However, one great disservice and lack of forward-thinking vision the Founding Fathers inflicted on the American people was making such improvements Herculean labours to accomplish, even if drastically and dearly needed.

I'm not convinced. Making it easily change-able creates a situation where the ink on the paper devalues it. You need some kind of balance.

Some of the other structuring (as you highlight), plus no blocks against lobbying hurts. FPTP hurts. It's far from perfect, and that's allowed those with power to cement it in a way we won't see easily changed. The uneven standards when compared to ordinary citizens is among the most glaring examples, but not the only one.

I'm not convinced. Making it easily change-able creates a situation where the ink on the paper devalues it. You need some kind of balance.

Some of the other structuring (as you highlight), plus no blocks against lobbying hurts. FPTP hurts. It's far from perfect, and that's allowed those with power to cement it in a way we won't see easily changed. The uneven standards when compared to ordinary citizens is among the most glaring examples, but not the only one.

What about the other part of my statement - the citizenry, or some neutral, non-political law-enforcement/judicial organ being able to call their government to account for high crimes, abuses of power, and corruption, rather than the impeachment system which has nothing AT ALL to do with the concept of justice, but merely comes down to political favour-calling, nepotism, closing of party ranks, and realizing political vendettas, and almost never happens anyways - a procedure that is utterly and completely worthless, and is, in fact, a spit in the face and a vile taunt to the motto on the Supreme Court building "And Justice for All?"

All the anger towards the migrants is sad. Because it's only a very small amount. And in a lot of places the population is aging faster than can be replaced. So encouraging people to go there and settle down should be good.
It's not where they're from that's the problem. It's that so many came and we (general 'we'; this doesn't affect me personally since I live so far from the border) had trouble dealing with so many in such a short time. It was hard enough in some places trying to settle the Syrian refugees, and they were expected. Having all these other people turn up unexpectedly was (and is) a problem.

Social services funding and housing are finite resources. And hearing some of these people complaining about being put up in hotels or military barracks on a temporary basis is disgusting, considering how grateful some of our Canadian-born homeless population would be for such places.

What about the other part of my statement - the citizenry, or some neutral, non-political law-enforcement/judicial organ being able to call their government to account for high crimes, abuses of power, and corruption, rather than the impeachment system which has nothing AT ALL to do with the concept of justice, but merely comes down to political favour-calling, nepotism, closing of party ranks, and realizing political vendettas, and almost never happens anyways - a procedure that is utterly and completely worthless, and is, in fact, a spit in the face and a vile taunt to the motto on the Supreme Court building "And Justice for All?"

I didn't address it because I agree with you that it's a very significant problem. I'm not sure how we can viably fix it from current position either. Like we can picture systems that might work, but how would citizens actually attain the organization required to implement them given current governance?

Did any parties even talk about the housing crisis though?
Trudeau keeps mumbling something about working for the middle class "and those seeking to join it" but he's really quite clueless about what it's like to be homeless, or nearly homeless. I've been half a day away from that, due to a frustrating search for an affordable apartment that would take cats. If I'd been using a walker back then, I'd have been screwed. The only place I found was a dump in the basement of a building in a high-crime area of town. I got out of there as soon as I possibly could, a year later.

Right now, though, my mind is on the Alberta budget and how Jason Kenney totally screwed over the disabled who are on the provincial disability benefit (he canceled the cost of living increase put in by the previous premier), the college/university students (canceled the tuition cap and increased the amount of interest they have to pay on their loans), and made deep cuts to the amount of money that will be transferred to the municipalities. So now I'm expecting a letter to say my housing benefit has been cut.

But what else should one expect from Harper's lapdog? His excuse was that "Alberta's benefit is more generous than other provinces' benefits." Well, so what? He has no clue how difficult it is to find accessible housing that's affordable.

Right now I truly hate him. I can't say exactly how much, since that kind of language would get me infracted. I did unload my opinion on my local MLA, though (being careful not to say anything that would get the RCMP at my door).

Trudeau keeps mumbling something about working for the middle class "and those seeking to join it" but he's really quite clueless about what it's like to be homeless, or nearly homeless. I've been half a day away from that, due to a frustrating search for an affordable apartment that would take cats. If I'd been using a walker back then, I'd have been screwed. The only place I found was a dump in the basement of a building in a high-crime area of town. I got out of there as soon as I possibly could, a year later.

Of course, the rude people would just tell you to get rid of your cats. Because those who are disabled are not allowed to have any sort of comforts or luxuries.

I hope you get the housing benefit thing sorted out. A few years ago our province gave everyone an increase of a few dollars and then patted themselves on the back for it. They also increased the amount of money you can keep if you're working, but this isn't much good for the people who can't work in the first place.

Of course, the rude people would just tell you to get rid of your cats. Because those who are disabled are not allowed to have any sort of comforts or luxuries.
Oh, they did. And one of them said, "Choose which cat you want to keep, because you can't have both."

Wow. This is a "Sophie's choice" kind of thing. How could I possibly choose - it would be like being told to choose which child to give up. I am responsible for any cat I have, and that responsibility doesn't end until the cat either dies or I have to have it euthanized due to illness.

I've flatly told social workers that my cats are my reason for getting up in the morning. Without them it's likely I might not be here anymore. I don't have much contact with humans in RL, and when Maddy and I are together, I don't feel alone.

My Green candidate in Calgary was head and shoulders above the others in my riding, and CPC was winning regardless, so I voted for her, and of course she came in a distant fourth place. (The NDP candidate didn't even have a website!)

This is why, despite last night's results, the conservatives would be making a big mistake in pushing for electoral reform. Their *only* path to forming any sort of stable government is through getting a majority of seats from the FPTP system - because their only plausible long-term ally is the Bloc, and the odds of Conservative + Bloc getting 50% of the vote are abysmal.

Interestingly, the last several elections where someone got 50%+ of the vote, it was the Conservatives (or their equivalent at the time).

Not really equivalent, though. In a very real sense, the Prog-Cons were the right-wing equivalent of the liberals (right-leaning centrist party) and the modern cons are the right-wing equivalent of the NDP (right-wing party that tries to appeal to the center). The prog-cons could get that 50% score because they could compete with the liberals on an even footing for the centrist (and even center-left) vote, while having all the right-wing votes to themselves. The Conservatives just can't do that- the best they can hope for is the liberal being bad enough that they end up driving some centrist voters into Conservative arms.

Well there are a bunch of reasons it's not really equivalent, and the small sample size makes it a bunch of one-off cases. In the most recent (1984), there were only three federal parties, for one.

Well, I think the Social Credit were on the ballot to try to recover after the final 1980 wipeout of their seats Federally, but Mulroney's popularity over Clark's made such a return a near impossibility for their "old-school, small-c, conservatism that most Canadians didn't want anywhere - especially given it was 13 years after Lougheed defeated Strom in Alberta, the old SC heartland, and Real Couellette(sp) had been so seriously injured in a snow-mobile accident he could barely speak anymore, and had permanently given up leadership).

Speaking of SoCred and because I can't VM Valka, wasn't Keegstra only kicked from the party after losing the Supreme Court case?

Apparently some people from Alberta are mad about the election and are talking about separating. (Though I get the impression it's just a few very loud people.) Yeah, because I'm sure that a landlocked country dealing in oil would do well.
Wasn't Kenney the minister in charge of re-rigging Equalization under the Harper presidency? Evidently he's banking on nobody having a memory longer than five years.

And this delusion that he can somehow force Quebec and B.C. to acquiesce would be comical if Trudeau hadn't bought that damn pipeline—Notley at least was willing to play quid-pro-quo, but if Jason insists on throwing a tantrum and fighting the carbon tax, what incentive does Ottawa have to work in good faith? As I understand, even after Harper's attempt to turn the country into a bona fide petro state, fossil fuels account for less than 3% of the Canadian economy—Alberta hitched its wagon to oil in the Fifties and has refused to diversify since, and when it runs out the province is going to crash harder than Newfoundland after cod (cruelly ironic given so many Newfies work at Fort Mac). An utter disaster for the province, obviously, but hardly a national crisis.

Any forward-thinking leader would be using oil as a trust fund for the inevitable transition... but given how foreign corporations own almost all the actual production, I guess it's not surprising they're scrabbling for every errant crumb they can find. In Norway the government and the companies work in tandem over oil, and most of the revenue goes to a national nest-egg; this American fetish for letting short-term private profit lead government by the nose is a wilful blindness bordering on masochism.

I took a little dive into Western secessionism in Canada and my god, has anyone seen the Saskatchewan premier's letter to the Liberals demanding they cancel the carbon tax? I say send in the bombers to keep those troglodytes from exploiting the oil sands anymore
Rick Mercer was ahead of his time.

Not really equivalent, though. In a very real sense, the Prog-Cons were the right-wing equivalent of the liberals (right-leaning centrist party) and the modern cons are the right-wing equivalent of the NDP (right-wing party that tries to appeal to the center). The prog-cons could get that 50% score because they could compete with the liberals on an even footing for the centrist (and even center-left) vote, while having all the right-wing votes to themselves. The Conservatives just can't do that- the best they can hope for is the liberal being bad enough that they end up driving some centrist voters into Conservative arms.
A Canadian contact of mine suggests that the Tories are going to split back into the fiscal cons and social cons, because even after the merger the two camps don't really speak with each other. Harper managed to hold the boat together through Tito-esque force of will, but for all his snide sniping Scheer doesn't appear to muster that same knack for control—and the fact that he couldn't just come out and say he hates abortions and the gays will be seen by the SoCons as spinelessness. My friend also suggests the Tories still haven't figured out why they lost in 2015, and until they jettison the racist reactionism (i.e. the Reform wing) they will never hold genuine appeal beyond their base, and like you say, have to count on the Liberals screwing up hard enough that they can dupe the centrists into temporary common cause.

Interested in your takes.

Top Bottom