[RD] Canadian federal election 2019: Voting day is October 21.

Holy crap. I'd dismissed the blackface stuff as the usual lefty nonsense but this video of Trudeau dressed as a stereotypical dirty black gangsta actually pretty terrible (he included a bulging crotch, for crying out loud).
:wallbash: Even if the Liberals somehow pull off a minority win, he's going to have to step down. If this weren't in the middle of a campaign, they'd be organizing a leadership review by now, and he would lose.

But of course it's just fine for Scheer to pontificate about how evil and unnatural abortion and same-sex marriage are, and he's perfectly willing to allow anyone with bigoted social media posts to run "as long as they apologize."

This election has become a battle of the hypocrites, and the NDP leader is an idiot (he wants to give the provinces power to veto any national infrastructure project that would be built in that province; this is meant to enable a province to prevent a pipeline from being built there, but it could result in railway and highway projects not going forward if they involve either the Trans-Canada or if they're slated for national parks).

What I can't work out is why is there no outrage over the blackface incident(s)? No YouTube videos or Facebook posts from left leaning groups denouncing said behavior? Not even a thread dedicated to it on CivFanatics?

He's been an enormous disappointment and anything less than resignation is unacceptable to me. As for a thread, I think this one covers it?

What I can't work out is why is there no outrage over the blackface incident(s)? No YouTube videos or Facebook posts from left leaning groups denouncing said behavior? Not even a thread dedicated to it on CivFanatics?
You are posting in a thread dedicated to the Canadian federal election. We don't need a separate thread for this unless people want to discuss it as a general topic and not just about Trudeau.

There is plenty of outrage on the Canadian news sites, on both sides of the issue.

There is plenty of outrage on the Canadian news sites, on both sides of the issue.

Sometimes it seems like they WON'T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. It's frustrating.

Does anybody know when the voter cards are expected to come in the mail?

Had some errands to do today, and paid attention to the political lawn signs. It seems that For Sale is a popular candidate in my riding. Guess they're running as an independent. :mischief:

On a more serious note, based on signs, it seems that the Conservatives are likely to get my area. :( On the other hand, maybe they're just the most vocal when it comes to lawn signs.
I'm curious, do you live in a rural area? If so, how dicey do your yard signs/billboards get? In rural Missouri, it was not unheard of for people to put up openly racist signs and billboards against the democrats. They were also really into semi-explicit anti-abortion ads.

Here you go:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...alifax-maxime-bernier-peoples-party-1.5185605

That was down in Halifax, though. I've just seen generic "vote this candidate/that candidate" lawn signs for the most part. I think some of the compost I got in the mail was just talking about putting more money into the health care system.

On a tangentially related subject, yesterday I saw a car with a N.S. license plate and a Confederate flag bumper sticker. Awkward.

Did he... did he darken his tongue?

Sometimes it seems like they WON'T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. It's frustrating.

Does anybody know when the voter cards are expected to come in the mail?
I have no idea. Mine hasn't come yet, either. I need to verify my address with Elections Canada, since I moved after the last election (just within the same building). It should be correct, as I always tick the box on my income tax return that gives permission to be added to the voter's list, but I'll still need to remove myself from my old address.

Think about this, and realize how easy it is to do by phone or online... when I worked for Elections Canada in the '90s, we had to send out teams of agents to do it in person, by hand. I must have climbed up and down the stairs in one particular neighborhood dozens of times before we caught people at home to interview them.

Some people got cranky because we were told to ask to see their SIN card "to verify" the name. That's one piece of ID you're not supposed to show just anybody, although it should be safe enough to just show an EC worker. Enumerators interview dozens of people per day and hundreds over the enumeration period, so it's impossible to remember most people's details.

It's when you use a SIN card for special ballot ID that it's a problem, because Elections Canada wants copies of your ID and that's one of the primary ways to steal a person's identity if they want to.

When you do get it, Aimee, double-check everything. It doesn't matter how many years you've been on the voters' list at that address - it's possible to screw it up either accidentally, or accidentally on purpose, as in the Reformacons got caught, fined, and a couple of lackeys did jail time for the robocalls, but they tried the same thing last time with the VICs - it's amazing all the creative ways that people's cards suddenly had their names spelled inaccurately or their addresses wrong, or their advance polling station located at a fictitious address or even hundreds of kilometres away. One couple reported receiving a VIC that listed their advance polling station's location as on one of the privately-owned islands off the coast of BC and there was no public ferry service to that island.

As for Bernier... he's deliberately confusing legal immigration with "irregular crossing" - in short, asylum seekers/migrants who just walk over the border outside of one of the legal border crossings.

The writ was actually dropped on September 11, which made some of the right-wing posters in CBC.ca's comment sections start fuming about how rude it was of Justin Trudeau to call an election that day - didn't he have any consideration for the Americans?

As I said in reply, I'm fairly certain that most Americans didn't even notice, and in any case, they don't bother consulting us to see if we're upset about their electoral issues and what day they do things.

At this time in 2015, the campaign had already been going for quite some time. The writ had been dropped in August, and the campaign was an excruciating 78 days long. This time it's only 40, but the attack ads started appearing on TV several weeks before that.

Unlike some other countries represented here in OT, Canada has at least 4 major federal parties, 5 of them in Quebec, and there's a new one that's a spinoff. These parties are:

Liberal Party: This is the incumbent party that is currently (still) in charge. Our government doesn't shut down just because we're having an election. Things still need doing, although for some issues there might be a different procedure involved, since the House isn't sitting right now. The leader/Prime Minister is Justin Trudeau.

Conservative Party of Canada: This is the Official Opposition that is supposed to question everything the governing party does. They have a shadow cabinet that monitors what the actual cabinet ministers do - the policies they put forth, what they say (or don't say) to the media, etc. The leader is Andrew Scheer.

New Democratic Party: The traditional role of this party is "the third party" that tends to hold the balance of power when the governing party is a minority (or at least doesn't have such an overwhelming majority that their bills can't be defeated). The NDP actually did form the Opposition in 2011, when they came in second, in the number of seats won. They're in third place now. The leader is Jagmeet Singh.

Green Party: As the name implies, this is the party that advocates for environmental issues as a major part of its policies and platform. This party is usually in 4th place, among the federal parties that run candidates in every riding. The leader is Elizabeth May.

The next two parties are federal, but fringe, as far as I'm concerned. However, they will have an effect on how some federal ridings vote and could be spoilers in those places.

Bloc Quebecois: The federal separatist/sovereignist party. It only runs candidates in Quebec. I'm honestly too lazy to look up the leader's name (full disclosure: as an Albertan, I don't have any respect for any separatist party, including the ones that want to take Alberta out of Confederation). There was a bizarre situation back in 1993, when the Progressive Conservatives were decimated, the BQ actually formed Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition - at least until the votes in a few close ridings were recounted.

People's Party: New conservative-type party, formed when Maxime Bernier didn't get chosen as leader of the Conservative Party of Canada. He's the leader of this party.

More disclosure: I loathe, detest, and despise the Conservative Party of Canada. You have seen me refer to them as "Reformacons" - a portmanteau term describing the other party names these people have used over the years (Reform/Alliance/Conservatives - when they hijacked the old Progressive Conservative Party). I voted NDP in 2015. This time I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for.

There will probably be some contentious opinions in this thread, but please let's not stoop to bashing the leaders' families and children.

Some posts about the election have already been made in other threads. Feel free to copy/paste them here, or link to them where they are.

This is not going to be an easy election for me. And there's no good, but safe and harmless, protest party like the Natural Law Party of the 1990's anymore (not admitting to having ticked them off nonchalantly in 1997 because everyone else at the time was so lack-luster and uninspired - or down right frightening in Manning's case - not all. *whistles innocently*). This will require careful thought in a little under a month. Though both Scheer and Bernier I can safely dismiss the chance of voting for at this point.

I'd dismissed the blackface stuff as the usual lefty nonsense
I'd intended to address this "lefty nonsense" part of your post before, but it slipped my mind. Exactly what did you mean by that?

To date I have not seen ONE Liberal party election commercial. Not a single one. While the Conservatives have been raking the Liberals and Trudeau over the coals on TV for months.

How exactly do the Liberals think they are going to win an election if they don't advertise their platform/message? There is enough drama this time that we may very well wind up with a Conservative majority, and God help us if we do. Kiss your rights and freedoms goodbye, everyone. And count on the next election being rigged. I'm sure they have at least learned that from Harper.

I hate politics. There is nothing worse than being an LGBT woman under the Conservatives. I'm a second or third class citizen at best. Moving home to Ireland is starting to look very attractive right about now...

I really wish we'd just up and ban attack ads entirely. I would vastly prefer party platform ads that can't mention other parties. It seems like a no-brainer. But I guess people like politics when it's personal.

To date I have not seen ONE Liberal party election commercial. Not a single one. While the Conservatives have been raking the Liberals and Trudeau over the coals on TV for months.

How exactly do the Liberals think they are going to win an election if they don't advertise their platform/message? There is enough drama this time that we may very well wind up with a Conservative majority, and God help us if we do. Kiss your rights and freedoms goodbye, everyone. And count on the next election being rigged. I'm sure they have at least learned that from Harper.

I hate politics. There is nothing worse than being an LGBT woman under the Conservatives. I'm a second or third class citizen at best. Moving home to Ireland is starting to look very attractive right about now...

Given the state of affairs, I don't see a Conservative majority. Or any majority. I predict a minority government. The political climate seems to be blowing in that direction strongly. I just don't know who will have such a minority. Keep in mind that, even though they're not likely to steal seat (or more than a few) from the Conservatives, the People's Party still seems to be stealing votes. Not a meteoric amount, but in FPTP, quite possibly enough to matter.

Holy crap. I'd dismissed the blackface stuff as the usual lefty nonsense but this video of Trudeau dressed as a stereotypical dirty black gangsta is actually pretty terrible (he included a bulging crotch, for crying out loud).

Everything seems to be "lefty nonsense" or slavish unthinking adherence to "traditionalist and conservative" lies and long-debunked myths. But a horrid, grisly, ugly world of non-reality and delusions you must live in. I'm very glad I don't live there, myself.

My radio station keeps playing ads about the carbon tax raising gas prices. I'm sick of hearing it. Unfortunately it seems that my riding's going to end up a conservative.

My radio station keeps playing ads about the carbon tax raising gas prices. I'm sick of hearing it. Unfortunately it seems that my riding's going to end up a conservative majority.

The Persian Gulf absolute theocratic monarchs who run OPEC run gas prices up far, far worse. But, traditionally, Canadian Conservatives and American Republicans think those nations are good, solid, regional allies - just as good and solid in the region as Israel (including Trump, who said Mohammed bin Salman is a "good man" and investigations into the Saudi journalist's who was dissolved in acid in a Saudi consulate in Istanbul "should be laid off by investigators and critics).

Wife and I canvased for our local Liberal MP (we're both NDP at heart but love our MP). We met hundreds of people over a couple hours and the only ones who seemed to care about Trudeau's blackface were white people. My wife's PoC and her observation was that yes, he's a massive [SWEAR WORDS HERE] but when you're a minority, you learn to sniff out jerks from jerks who also wish to harm you.

Top Bottom