1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Canadian federal election 2019: Voting day is October 21.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Valka D'Ur, Sep 17, 2019.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

The federal and provincial Liberal parties might be very different in BC, but in Ontario, all 4 parties are damn near 1:1 their federal namesakes. The difference is in personality not policy.

Or a Liberal minority with NDP balance of power. That's my jam! :band:

I think it says a lot that the Liberals fret losing votes to the NDP, whereas the Conservatives worry about their voters going for the fascists.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles uolǝɯɹǝʇɐʍ

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

Moderator Action: Some of you may have noticed that a large number of posts were deleted in this thread a day or so ago. This is because a video was uploaded to the thread which contained a message that was against CFCs rules. I deleted that post and a number of subsequent posts that referred to it because they became out of context with the deletion of the video and subsequent discussion. The video post was taken down because the video maker often borders on hate speech. We don't want or need that kind of rhetoric here at CFC.

Sorry for the confusion, but that's where your posts went.

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. Arwon

Arwon

How come this election is on a Monday and not a weekend

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

All of our elections are either Mondays or Tuesdays.

6. Arwon

Arwon

How come they're not on weekends?

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

If my house is any indication that would reduce turnout. Weekends are for sleeping in and lazing about the house in sweats, not getting dressed to go out just so you can vote.

caketastydelish likes this.
  8. Arwon

Arwon

Is there any website or news coverage that actually does booth-matching in assessing seats? Most coverage just talks about "candidate x has a 20 vote lead" with a context vacuum and it is horrible.

9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

And workdays are for working, which means that the "leisured class", the better off, can go vote and the poorer but employed to make a living have difficulty...

10. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/federal/2019/results/

I mean, generally speaking, the results are coming in from right to left on the map. Voting is still going on where I am for 2 hours but voting has completely stopped in Newfoundland. You can hover over the map for specifics, like who won, by how many votes, and how many polling booths have reported in.

11. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah that's exactly the rubbish I'm talking about, it just says stuff like "NDP leads LIB by 783 votes" and "35/182 polls reported".

If it knows the polling places that have reported, it should know how representative of the electorate they are, and be able to model both a swing from the last election and a final result based on that.

12. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

That gets released later. Why is it rubbish? Seems irrelevant to the thing that actually matters tonight.

13. Arwon

Arwon

Because it's faster that way! Means you can get a good idea of the result from like a tenth of the booths, and also tell if early numbers are likely to be misleading or unrepresentative.

14. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles uolǝɯɹǝʇɐʍ

In my riding right now the Liberals have a lead over the Conservatives of like 94 votes. But only a few of the polls have reported in.

The last three candidates have around 40 votes between them. Ouch.

15. Arwon

Arwon

Entertaining myself by looking for all the seats where first past the post produces clearly the wrong result

(It's mostly anywhere the Conservatives win with a vote share starting with a "3")

16. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

M-kay, I've been composing this post for a few days now, so it's going to be long. I'm reaching back several decades to answer some of the comments regarding the Conservative Party of Canada and how we got here from the original Progressive Conservatives.

Some years ago, Stephen Harper demonstrated his hypocrisy regarding coalition governments by deciding it was okay for his own party, but when the Liberals, NDP, and Bloc Quebecois tried to form one, he declared it was a "coup" and promptly scampered off to Rideau Hall to convince the Governor-General (Michaelle Jean, at that time) to prorogue Parliament so he wouldn't have to face the music for the charge of contempt of Parliament. Fast-forward to a few days ago and the Reformacons are still making <stuff> up.

There are 338 federal seats, so a majority government needs 170 seats. Ideally they should aim for a lot more, since a situation like one of them having only 170 seats means the government could be defeated if the other parties teamed up and a few government MPs either voted against the bill or were absent, or if they abstained. In Canada, the government can fall on a non-confidence vote if a money bill (ie. the budget) is defeated. This is why we had a federal election both in 1979 and 1980. The Progressive Conservatives won in 1979 (coincidentally a mere 2 days after Andrew Scheer was born; Justin Trudeau was 8 years old at the time), and their first budget was defeated. The sticking point cited by some people was an increase in the price of gas; for some time after, that was known as the "18-cents-a-gallon election." The rules say that if the budget is defeated, a new election must be called.

This created a bit of a sticky situation for the Liberals, because shortly after their defeat in 1979, Pierre Trudeau resigned. But the following year, the Liberals hadn't had time to choose a new leader, so Trudeau returned and the Liberals won. He (Trudeau) concentrated most of his efforts in that mandate to repatriating the Constitution from Britain, and drafting the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Meanwhile, in the Progressive Conservative party, Brian Mulroney was working his sleazy way into the leadership by undermining and betraying Joe Clark.

The right-wing parties here have a weird history going back decades.

You might remember I've mentioned that prior to the NDP win in Alberta in 2015, my province was governed by only two right-wing parties over a period of 80 YEARS (Social Credit from 1935-1971; Progressive Conservative from 1971-2015). We've had premiers who couldn't prop up the gambling industry enough, but decided to slash social programs and benefits.

The federal party? Looking back from decades later, I have to admit that Joe Clark probably wouldn't have been such a terrible Prime Minister. I certainly have much more respect for him now than I did 40 years ago. But he's the last right-wing PM I can say that about. Brian Mulroney became PM in 1984, and depending on who you ask, he's firmly in one of the top three spots as the worst/most hated Prime Minister in Canadian history. By 1993, he could see the writing on the wall and bailed from the party less than a year before his party's mandate was up. The ensuing leadership convention saw a woman winning - and therefore becoming our first female Prime Minister.

Kim Campbell never had a real chance to show the country what she could do as a Prime Minister. The dust had barely settled from the leadership campaign before she had to call the election in 1993, and she's the one who took the fall for Brian Mulroney. The electorate couldn't punish him, so they punished her and the rest of the party (some of them richly deserved to be turfed; can you fathom a Minister of Fisheries & Oceans who tells a female Liberal shadow cabinet MP asking a question in Question Period to "Quiet down, baby"?).

The result was hilarious if you were anyone other than a Progressive Conservative. The party was absolutely crushed. They went from a large majority to TWO members. My dad wasn't someone who cared that much about gender issues as an everyday topic of conversation, but he was laughing over that election. The PCs were left with exactly one man and one woman... who later left and joined other parties. Kim Campbell didn't win her own seat (it's unusual for an incumbent PM to be turfed like that).

But they weren't the only right-wing MPs. Prior to this election, Preston Manning had created the Reform Party in Alberta, and wanted it to speak for Western Canada, much as the Bloc Quebecois speaks for Quebec (but without the constant threats of separatism). His party did well for its first election (most of their seats were won in Alberta because they gained the seats that would normally have gone to the Progressive Conservatives), but the real shock of that election was that the Bloc Quebecois came in second. It was a bizarre result - Jean Chretien's Liberals won, and Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition was a party that only runs candidates in Quebec and their main goal is separation from Canada.

There were some close ridings, and there was some controversy over which party should be considered the Opposition (the Reform Party had 52 seats and the Bloc had 54 seats; those numbers shifted over the next few weeks so the Reform Party took over as Official Opposition).

Later on, Preston Manning wanted to make his party more appealing to the rest of Canada, not just Albertans. One thing he did was boot the more troublesome members - the fringe ones who wanted Alberta to separate, the ones who wanted to repeal just about every bit of social progress Canada had made up to that point (recriminalization of same-sex relationships and abortion, for example; too many of that sort were welcomed back by Stephen Harper), the ones who wanted mandatory prayer in school... he didn't boot them because he thought they were wrong, he booted them because he considered them unelectable.

Part of the remaking of the Reform Party was to rename it, and thus the Reform Party became the Canadian Alliance. And now the story gets even more weird. There was another leadership campaign, and the winner was Stockwell Day. Stockwell Day was well-known to Albertans, as he was the MLA for Red Deer (therefore my MLA and dutifully came to my door begging for our votes every few years; the last time, I had the pleasure of telling him off for the way the provincial government treated the nurses, due to a mix of blowing hospitals up (leading to medical personnel leaving the province because of a shortage of places to work) and then building other hospitals that were not used because there was a shortage of trained people to staff them (because they'd left). My mind was on this at the time (in the '90s) because by that time most of my typing clients were student nurses in the 4-year program at Red Deer College and some of them were also asking me to do their resumes and other documents because they were not only leaving the city and province, but also Canada to find work. So I told Day off, and asked what the government planned to do about the shortage. He mumbled something about "over the next 3 or 4 years..." and I told him that it didn't do squat to help the newly-graduated nurses and patients who needed them now. So he went away without my vote and definitely without permission to infest my lawn with his campaign sign.

Finally Day decided to quit provincial politics (he had been flattered and convinced that he would be great in federal politics, and would be a shoo-in for the leadership of the Canadian Alliance and a hop-skip-jump to becoming Prime Minister... the reality was that he was becoming too popular for Ralph Klein's comfort in Alberta and this was Klein's way of getting rid of him). So he ran for the leadership of the Alliance and won... and became a party leader without a seat in Parliament. The custom is for a sitting MP in a safe seat to step down and let the leader run in a token byelection (the other major party bowing out of the race for the sake of courtesy), and Day decided to run in Penticton, BC (anyone remember that ludicrous photo-op of Day in a wetsuit, riding a jet ski on Okanagan Lake when he met with reporters?). My dad and I semi-seriously considered writing a letter to the Penticton newspaper to offer condolences on their new MP.

Stockwell Day is a Young Earth Creationist. He sincerely believes (and said so in Parliament) that there is scientific evidence that Earth is only 6000 years old and humans and dinosaurs coexisted. He didn't know which direction the Niagara River flowed, and got mixed up between the Indians (natives of North America) and the Indians (citizens of India). The group who received the note of congratulations for some achievement I don't recall were quite puzzled.

Stockwell Day failed to bring glory to the Canadian Alliance by winning an election, and some of the right-wing were noticing that between the Alliance, Progressive Conservatives (by that time Joe Clark had come back to as the leader of that party), Social Credit, and a few other fringe parties, the right-wing vote was severely fractured. So the "Unite the Right" movement was formed, with the intention of bringing all those parties together and forming a new party that wouldn't result in the right-wing vote being split and the Liberals benefiting from that.

As to how the Canadian Alliance eventually became the Conservative Party of Canada... what a mess. The Unite the Right movement was one of the dirtiest times in federal politics. The goal in itself is understandable, since there's been talk for many years that there should be more cooperation among the left-wing parties. But how they went about it was messy, and it became obvious that Peter MacKay's word was worthless and Stephen Harper rewarded his betrayal of the Progressive Conservatives with a series of plum cabinet posts.

The word "Reformacon" is a portmanteau of "Reform", "Alliance", and "Conservative". It's used as a pejorative and is never meant in a friendly way. Some commenters on CBC.ca can use it and not have their comments pinked; others aren't so lucky. To minimize my own chances of being censored there, I coined a slight alternative term: "Reform-Conservatives." That was back in 2015, and I'm happy to see that it's been picked up and used by lots of other people on that site, as well. Since so many people either don't know the history of this party (if they didn't follow federal politics in the '90s/early '00s or if they're new voters or even new citizens), I felt it important to stress that there's a considerable difference between the Progressive Conservatives (a now-defunct party both federally and provincially in Alberta) and this hybrid thing created by Stephen Harper in a series of sleazy backroom deals. They are NOT the same, and it annoys me when people refer to the Reformacons as "Tories."

Scheer is wrong in his assertion that whoever wins the most seats automatically wins. The incumbent Prime Minister has first crack at forming government, even if (s)he has fewer seats. Coalitions are not "illegitimate" as Harper claimed several years ago. The Governor-General has to option to allow or disallow such coalitions.

Let's see... they're anti-social progress, anti-science, anti-environment, anti-choice, they can't fathom why Trudeau doesn't want government funding to go to faith-based groups whose purpose for the funding is to attack women's right to choose or LGBT Charter rights, Harper delegated two of his most bigoted MPs to announce the "Barbaric Cultural Practices" snitch line (if the Reformacons had won in 2015, this could have resulted in people like me being encouraged to watch my Muslim neighbors and report anything they did that I consider 'barbaric'), their style of politics is resembling Trump's style more and more... and on and on and on. There are so many reasons.

Like many other environmentally-minded people, I watched the news in shock when we saw whole libraries of information on the environment literally thrown into dumpsters. Harper's people insisted the information was being preserved digitally, but anyone who believes that is welcome to buy the ocean-front property outside my living room window. Since Harper and his anti-science thugs consider environmentalists and environmental groups to be terrorists (not even slightly kidding on this), it made sense to them that the pesky biologists and other scientists couldn't do their comparisons between ecosystems of decades ago and how the toxins from the oil and gas industries had negatively impacted these ecosystems if the original data disappeared into a landfill or was "accidentally" destroyed in other ways.

I've mentioned Tony Turner, the federal migratory bird biologist who was suspended from his job for writing and performing a protest song critical of Stephen Harper. He wrote the song on his own time, performed it on his own time, in a location not on government property, with equipment not owned by the government, with people who didn't work for the government, and posted the video of the performance on YouTube, which is also not owned by anyone in Canada. But oops... Turner dared to criticize Harper and some of the people in the video were members of the Raging Grannies (a left-wing protest group mainly concerned with environmental issues). Obviously - to the Reformacon mind - that's grounds for ruining Turner's professional life. His superiors forbade him from performing the song again and informed him that he was not allowed to have contact with anyone in the video.

After the public realized that even though Tony Turner couldn't perform his own song, that prohibition didn't apply to anyone else... so a day of singing "Harperman" was organized across the country. There was quite a crowd on Parliament Hill, and some of the people made sure to belt out the song underneath the windows of the Reformacon MPs' offices.

Meanwhile, Turner was still suspended, and it looked like he would remain suspended because the bureaucrats above him really were that spiteful. So he decided to retire, and after that he could sing whatever he wanted, anywhere he damn well pleased.

Other reasons... let's see. One of Harper's cabinet ministers, Vic Toews (pronounced "Taves") decided that naw, nobody needs internet privacy, and his excuse was that his proposed anti-privacy laws were needed "to catch child pornographers." Well, of course nobody in their sane mind is in favor of child pornography, but then again, if you make regulations too strict, you end up prohibiting people from doing legitimate research or you catch people in perfectly innocent family situations that get misinterpreted.

The backlash against that was that somebody organized a "Tell Vic Everything" movement. So for the next several weeks, some people did exactly that - they phoned his office, sent him tweets, FB messages, emails, and wrote letters to tell him everything they'd done that day. After thousands of "Dear Vic: I just ate a ham sandwich" or "Hey, Vic, I just went to the bathroom" sorts of messages, he dropped his proposed legislation. Oh, and what we found out about Toews was that he himself had had an inappropriate relationship with one of his kids' babysitters. :shake:

Ah. Rebel Media, I assume?

I'm not sure which is more nauseating: the way they keep attacking the other parties (I'm really starting to hate whoever has that annoyingly sneering voice in those ads), or Harper's sweater-and-kitten election ad from several elections ago. That kitten did not look thrilled to be there.

So far, no disagreement.

Harper was Prime Minister for 9.5 years, and that period (2006-2015) is commonly known as the Dark Decade.

One of the muzzled scientists had written a science fiction novel and wasn't even allowed to attend his own book launch... because he might talk about his work. He told them, "Okay, send a minder with me to make sure" and the answer was no. So he had to have someone else represent him at the launch.

Actually, they're not, at least at the federal level. I assume you pay into the CPP and hope something will be left when you retire in another 15-16 years? Enjoying the fact that a stay in the hospital won't make you bankrupt? I'm guessing you're probably glad that same-sex relationships won't get you hauled into court and probably end up with your being fined or even jailed, right? For all of these, thank the minority government of Lester B. Pearson, in the mid-1960s. The CPP and Medicare were brought in then, and it was in the waning days of the Pearson mandate when Pierre Trudeau was the Minister of Justice that same-sex relationships were decriminalized ("there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation"). This was a Liberal minority government, supported on a case-by-case basis by the NDP. They got a fantastic number of things done that have benefited everyone in Canada ever since.

Oh, and the fact that you were allowed to legally marry another woman? Thank Paul Martin's minority government. They are the ones who brought in the same-sex marriage legislation, the year before Harper took over.

But don't take my word for all this: Here's an article that's a very interesting read. I was too young in 1965 to take much notice of politics, but by 1968 I was starting to notice this stuff and my grandfather didn't consider me too young to start learning (I was all of 5 years old): When Minority Government Worked: The Pearson Legacy

The Liberals had better be seriously engaged in finding a replacement for Justin. He broke a number of important promises, and those plus the blackface scandal will mean a serious loss of seats. Even if the Liberals do win, I suspect there are already people in that party pushing him to take a walk in the snow for the sake of the party.

It should be, unless the Bloc Quebecois gains a significant number of seats. The leader of that party has stated that he will not enter into any coalition agreements with any other party, and the only times when he would support a Liberal position is if it also favors Quebec.

See my previous reply. This is more true of provincial politics than federal. Of course there have been minority governments that were defeated thisfast, but there are others that stayed the course for 4-5 years and were very effective. This is what Jagmeet Singh wants to happen: The Liberals in power and the NDP supporting them in exchange for tabling of certain bills and support for specific NDP initiatives. It worked in 1965 and 2005, so there's ample precedent.

The problem is that the Reformacons are not the mainstream conservative party of Canada. They started life as a Western fringe party and went through a number of steps including some really dirty backroom deals that saw a "Unite the Right" merger and a betrayal and several more backroom deals. When the dust had cleared, Stephen Harper emerged as leader of the new party we have now, and the man who gave it to him (Peter MacKay) was given a succession of plum cabinet jobs over the next almost-10 years as payment (MacKay was - and is - a disgusting waste of space who, among other things, openly referred to another MP as a "dog"... Belinda Stronach and MacKay had once been in a relationship that went sour and he decided to be publicly spiteful and disgusting about it. Another thing he pulled that disgusted people was calling a military helicopter to pick him up from a fishing trip. But when an Inuit teenager went missing in that region of the country, no helicopter could be spared and the teenager was found dead days later.

Of course it is, since he hasn't changed his views on that. It would be different if he had had a sincere change of mind, but notice that every time he's asked about it he sidesteps or coyly talks about supporting the "law". That suggests that if the law were changed, he'd openly proclaim how pleased he was that same-sex marriage and other LGBT rights would no longer be honored.

Besides... is it fair to hit Trudeau with a racist label because he wore blackface a few times 20+ years ago in instances that were clearly intended as costume parties?

I don't know. Trudeau's fascination with costumes didn't bother me until he went overboard on the India trip. I do wish people would stop with the "Mr. Dressup" label. That's profoundly disrespectful to the memory of Ernie Coombs, who played Mr. Dressup in an iconic Canadian children's show for many years. Mr. Dressup was like the Canadian equivalent of Mr. Rogers, and Ernie Coombs was loved by generations of Canadians. I still remember two of the songs I learned from that show, back when I was 5. Ernie Coombs died years ago, and it's disgusting to drag his character into the political mudslinging arena.

Scheer still is, and enough of his people are that if they managed a majority there is every likelihood that they would at least do their best to water down the protections and rights that women have now. Remember, we're talking about a party still supported in the shadows by Harper, and we know his associations include white supremacists and other hate groups.

What universe were you living in four years ago?

Okay, we can agree on that. That debate was a fiasco, and I'm glad I voted before watching it. It would have been useless as a way to reach undecided voters.

:rotfl:

I hope she gets knocked off her high horse. It was ridiculous, how she strutted around recently, saying she'd "work with" whichever party won. Apparently it never occurred to her that she actually has to win her own seat first.

I despise Jody Wilson-Raybould, mostly for her betrayal of some of the most vulnerable people in the country - those at risk or in the early stages of terminal illnesses that will leave these people unable to speak or write, and so they won't be able to request Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD) after they're sick enough that "death is reasonably foreseeable". The Supreme Court ordered that this legislation include provisions for at-risk people to be able to make advance requests before they're too far gone to speak or write or even know what's going on as dementia, Alzheimers, or other diseases that rob the person of their cognitive abilities, but JWR decided to ignore that. Her legislation has condemned thousands of people to horrible, lingering death when they would have preferred to die on their own terms, with dignity... and Jody Wilson-Raybould had the gall to say, "I think that's fair."

And it's beyond tiresome to hear her family constantly bleating that any criticism of their darling constitutes "racism." At least for me, I'd criticize any cabinet minister who acted as she has, and displayed her attitude.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. Patine

Patine Deity

So, I just voted today on the way home from work. I voted NDP. Although one might think it odd, they have more of a chance to win my particular riding in Edmonton than the Liberals do. We had the only NDP MP from Alberta from my riding for one 21st Century Parliament session (2011, I think), and in 2008 the race between former Provincial NDP Leader Ray Martin and Conservative incumbent Peter Goldring was the closest race of all ridings in Canada in that election - a razor thin margin. And Provincially, my riding (though smaller and only part of the Federal riding) has been an NDP stronghold for four Legislative sessions prior to Notley's government, and remains so after Kenney's victory. Besides, as a social worker, the NDP do more directly for my line of work in their platform.

shadowplay likes this.
  18. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

You left out the part where they almost called themselves the "Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance"

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

In case anyone's interested, early results are coming in from Newfoundland, Atlantic Canada, and the Maritimes.

So far the seats that are leading/elected are:

Liberals: 26
    Conservatives: 5
    NDP: 1
    Green: 1

I'm pleased to see the Greens leading in that riding, since their usual federal stronghold is on the other side of the country, on Vancouver Island.

These numbers are very early; the polls haven't even closed yet in the western half of the country. There will be a flood of information coming when the polling stations in Quebec and Ontario start reporting in.

20. Patine

Patine Deity

The Bloc has not taken Gaspe, eh? (Gaspe always comes in with the Atlantic poll closing results).