1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Hockey Religion Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by canucksrule19, Dec 6, 2005.

1. canucksrule19

canucksrule19 Chieftain

Since Hockey is pretty much a religion in Canada, I decided to make an NHL religion mod based on the Fast Food and Videogame religion mods earlier made. The teams are the six canadian NHL teams and Hockey Canada, enjoy and let me know what you think

History

Ver 0.2
    game text added

Ver 0.1
    button graphics for tech tree completed
    button graphics for religion completed
    Vancouver sounds partially complete

Upcoming versions
    great people
    building button graphics
    rest of sounds (dont know/have each teams song, help appreciated)
    hockey UUs (will need help here as well :))
    civlopedia info
    religion icons (dont know where these are)

Just place in mods folder
    any help/feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated

2. canucksrule19

canucksrule19 Chieftain

3. KingTux

KingTux Ruler of the Free World

It seems as if what I started is starting to trickle out to other mods... So, maybe some rules or guidelines should be kept in place. Here's what I would like to see in the future from anyone who uses my Fast Food religions mod:

1.a. Use the files from the game instead of mine.

This is what I did to start with. From messing around with the files, I found out what everything does. I chose the religious aspect, because I thought that it would have long spreading tentacles within the game that would eventually make me have to see what everything does to do it. I wanted to know because I didn't want to wait and see how things interacted once I'd be able to play Civ4. When 2.0 is launched later this week, there's going to be a lot of changes, and even then, I intend to stand by this policy. You shouldn't be modding the Fast Food religion, you should be modding Civ4.

1.b. Use my files to see what can (and should) be changed. Be origional with your own creations.

I'd like to see some origionality. Maybe this sounds strange to anyone who just wants to throw one of these together over the weekend, but I really think that each of these mods should be able to have their own distinction with how the text interacts together. Everyone's got their own origional flair, and by not using your own text, the mods seem to feel second rate.

2. Only release what you've worked on.

So you've decided to work on your own mod and have yet to find out how things work. By doing it yourself, you'll find out ten times more than you would by just copying what I've done.

3. Test it to make sure it works.

This can be very crucial. I consider myself to be very nitpicky on making sure that no errors can be found whatsoever in anything that I do. However, on rare occasions, I do make mistakes. When I do, I try to resolve them the instance that I notice them. That's why I'm taking so long in releasing 2.0. Now that I can test it in game, I want to make sure that everything does what I intend it to do.

4. Make screenshots if you can play Civ4.

This is what's been a big drag with my own mod. I intend to fix that real soon when 2.0 is released. The fact is that if you want people to play it, you're going to have to release screenshots. This wasn't too big of a priority of my own when I couldn't play it myself. I basically thought that there wasn't a reason of why someone else shouldn't be able to and that they should have to wait to be able to do this.

5. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll resolve them.

DeathCyclops is already doing this with me. I'm not playing anyone else's mod, as almost all my free time at the moment is consumed by the mod. I'm a strange fellow who would rather mod and program Civilization over playing it. My play sessions are limmited to finding out what does what and can sometimes last 5 minutes or so. I haven't done any really involved games yet, and I don't see too many in the future. I seriously have more fun modding Civilization than I do playing it. I'm going to continue extending my understanding of it's inner workings, and I always release behind what I already know about it. This is because I am always learning something new, and if I tried to keep up with what I have learned, mods never would get released.

Now that I've got that out of the way, this applies to any modder who intends to (or has) used my own mod. If it sounds harsh, don't think of it that way. Think of it like this: I want everyone who looks at my mod for this reason to be able to use it like a blueprint, but not to paint their name over my own. Nothing that I've done to this point is too technical, it's just a case of a modder trying to understand the inner workings of the game better. Also, I haven't viewed your mod, so if you've done some of these steps already, don't feel offended by it. This is just a general guideline for anyone who intends to use my mod in the future.

4. canucksrule19

canucksrule19 Chieftain

where can i find info on Civ 2.0?

5. KingTux

KingTux Ruler of the Free World

It's not Civ 2.0. I'm going to be releasing a new version of my own mod real soon. It's currently around 5.66 MB, but that's tentative and could change. It's definately going to be over 5 MB, but probably won't get any higher than 8 MB. There's a lot of changes to it, and I'm not thinking about providing an update option, just because of how big it is. Sorry if it was misleading.

6. Arnesson

Arnesson Warlord

How about a Canadian Civ with Canadian City names and Leaders.

7. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead